Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saddle tank? Fuel Tank Flush and Filters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: saddle tank? Fuel Tank Flush and Filters. Reply with quote

Alan,
9.5 liters or 2.5 US gallons on the reserve side.  (Basically the same thing on the other side if you want to know.)
Calibration of the fuel sight gauge, fuel flow and fuel gauge are important. I measure each tank volume, check and calibrate my fuel flow using a small valve to restrict the flow and hold pressure at about 4 PSI to get the flow right and of course flush my fuel system all at the same time. Old tanks held 18 US gallons with reserve. New tanks slightly more. My trigear fuelled to the neck, holds just at 20 gallons. I normally plan 15 gallons for flight as my sight gauge is at the arm rest and the fuel left is one hour total left in the main and reserve.

No tank is clean on the inside, and a cleaning and thorough flush is necessary. You have a fuel pump, and electric pumps work out of the box and if they are going to fail, fail in the first few hours. Why not run it prior to engine start cycling fuel through the system and calibrating the tank. I even make lines on the tank with the wings detached to use should I need to change out the sight gauge line (required about every 5 years...

Filtration of the fuel system is a mixed bag of personal tastes. I make my system exactly (well almost) like in the book. I differ on my site gauge install and my vent system has a drain installed out the bottom of the aircraft to prevent staining. Just check for insects and mud. Gascolators have course filters on the whole, tend to leak as they have a gasket, must be the lowest point in the fuel system which is hard to do in a Europa without making a bump in the belly, if mounted high will suck air if the gasket dries out, and leak or worse yet, prevent the fuel pump from pulling the remaining fuel out of the tank lower than the gascolator, robbing you of fuel. But, they have been around forever on tractors, boats and airplanes because mechanics never change and work fine in a farm environment. Andair makes the best in my opinion and can be placed on the suction as well as pressure side with its excellent O ring seals and is equipped with a 100 and 70 micron filter and is not very tall. But follow Andy’s instruction at Andair and put it as the lowest point in the system if possible.

Filters: 40-50 micron is best. I have written on this before and still use the Mr. Gasket/Purolator type. The Mr. Gasket/Purolator glass filters require a technique. You can over and under torque them and they will leak by unscrewing themselves, a spring helps prevents loosening of the internal nut that holds the filter in place and the filter element can be put in wrong. I’ve used them for 15 years and never had a problem because I tighten them properly and use a light spring. Just pay attention, use quality fittings and hose, and I put them in my seat pan for easy inspection plus put in a drain should it leak. I am getting lazy as every 25 hour inspection (really thorough preflight) over the last 10 years I have found no contamination in my filters to speak of so I never check my fuel filters on preflight any longer.

Make the filters easy to remove without leaking fittings or draining of the fuel system. Again, I have written on my fittings for this before. I use CPC valved fittings without fail. Keep a set of O rings for the QDs as they do eventually wear out or though improper use, get cut.

The Europa plastic fuel tank does not sweat so, in my experience, water in the fuel is normally not a problem even in colder damp conditions. But check anyway.

Fuel quality is imperative. If you have water in your fuel tank, it has been my experience that the owner put it there using car gas with ethanol. Aviation suppliers of AV Gas tend to have excellent filtration and water traps. Quality MOGAS stations do also. The metal jerry cans in my shop are all gone as they sweat and water collects if the cap is not perfectly sealed. I still pre-filter my auto fuel (a filtered funnel by ‘Mr. Funnel’ works fine) and never had water in a tank. Ethanol can be a real problem. Over time the octane drops off, it absorbs water readily from the air, even in the fuel vapor and vent system of the fully fueled aircraft tank, and it tends to permeate non EPA (R-9 or better) fuel lines making a stinky smell. AV Gas is great, except for the cost, higher maintenance, engine lead deposit woes, and other lead problems. Non Ethanol premium auto fuel is preferred in a Rotax. (94 Octane unleaded aviation fuel is starting to show up around the States thank God.)

Bottom line, clean and calibrate your fuel system, make it easy to maintain, and service, use components that have been tested and proven and you’ll be fine.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:10:15 PM
To: Europa Forum Forum
Subject: Re: saddle tank?

Per Saddle i.e. each side is approx 9 -10 litre
Alan
Quote:
On 17 Mar 2018, at 16:23, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:
Thanks for such a speedy reply to my query !
Just to be sure, is that 9-10 litres for each side ?
or total for both sides?
Sorry to be a nuisance but I want to be sure.

Thanks again Paul Munford   Europa NG kit 625

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:23 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: saddle tank?

Hi Paul, 9.5 litres either side I work on.
Tim Tim Ward 12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221

On 17/03/2018, at 6:56 AM, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, Anyone out there know the approx’ volume of the 2 saddle areas
in the std Europa 62 litre polypropylene tank . That is,- when the fuel is down
to the bridge area. I am trying to understand & calibrate my fuel useage & reserve.
Thanks Paul Munford Europa NG kit 625

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: