Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RG-400 Coax
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: RG-400 Coax Reply with quote

Interesting that this discussion struck such a nerve. We all have choice, within some limits.

I intended more what is "required" vs can we do better than the minimum. Choice based on what you already have or don't have.

What do your EAA chapter members have left over from their project?

Just like we can mount a turbo-charger if we want, although Van's recommends against it.

We can do magnetos or all variety of electronic ignitions. We see the benefits...probably.

Will it make enough difference to "justify" the cost? Depends on who does the accounting with what assumptions.

We can put in high compression pistons and cold-air induction and port, polish and flow match the cylinders.

All discernible changes...but do they make a big difference in the utility of the plane...all in the eye of the beholder.

Whatever choices made will make it the best amateur built aircraft for you.
Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com>

And, as I'm not afraid to jump into the 400 vs other discussion,
my opinion is I'd rather buy one type of wire and have it be the
best wire I can build than buy 2 types.  I don't have anything
but RG400 in my planes.  When the plane costs $100K+, saving
a few dollars on wire isn't my goal. My goal is having an airplane
in the end that is superior to what I would get if I bought most
other airplanes.

Tim 

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

kearney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RG-400 Coax Reply with quote

Hi Kelley

Here is a little thread drift.

In two weeks I will be going to "builder school" at AeroSport located in Kamloops BC. They will be building (with my *ahem* able assistance) a brand spanking new IO-540 from a Lycoming engine kit.

This brings me to your list of *enhancements* and what I am installing.

- Turbo nope (although the itch is still there)
- Electronic Ignition - SDS EI/EFI check
- 8.5:1 compression pistons - check
- Port & polish - check
- Cold air induction - check

My flying -10 has the same setup except that it has mags. It dyno'd out at 287 HP (it was from Barrett Precision Engines). The extra HP is very nice to have when flying out of a high DA airport.

It is just too much fun going over to the dark side.

Cheers

Les

PS: Barret Engines are great folks and I would have bought another engine from them except the Aerosport option was just too attractive to pass up.
I also have great respect for SDS and Ross Farnham. For those interested, his EI/EFI system is a piece of art.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: