Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balance Master
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skidookid

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Balance Master Reply with quote

I am told that belt drive will be way smoother than to tax gear box

On May 2, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

Got the Balance Master in the mail over the weekend, (Thank you Jack Hart!) installed it and test flew the Firefly yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAcfoOJJDpg
(Climbs good for a 277, huh?)
Here is the landing, just to show I don't always bounce them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIJ_WHLMfY&feature=youtu.be

Substantial improvement in the vibration level, but not in the way we expected. It is now smoother than previously at cruise rpm's, best around 5500, and the smoothness band has widened out a bit. It is now smooth down to 5000, but still vibrates a lot between 5000 and 4000, but not as much as before. In any event, it is much better at normal cruise, and a tad better in that rpm area where it stinks. The next thing we will be trying is to convert the 277 to dual ignition.

Back in the 80's, I had a Maxair Hummer with a 277 on it, and the 277 has a charging coil that lays directly beneath the ignition source coil inside the magneto. The normal ignition relys on points, but years ago, small engines could replace the points and condenser with a small solid state device called an Atom. It is about the size of a postage stamp, and acts like an ignition points device.

Got a friend with a machine shop to weld up a place on the hemispherical dome of the 277 head, which I then milled flat and tapped for a B8ES plug, added a small coil, and wired the whole mess up. Details are in the March 1990 EAA Experimenter magazine.

Anyway, it worked great, and also - unlike the points ignition - the Atom has an advance and retard function. Which had the effect of causing the 277 to idle a lot smoother. And might also have an effect on the vibration level at lower power settings. But if not, it is still always nice to have dual ignition.

So now I will be calling some of the snowmobile places up Nawth to see if I can find a 277 head to experiment on. But that will be a topic for a different thread.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Hi Richard,

Congrats on getting such impressive performance.

Your mention of the Atom points replacement module caught my eye. Is this it?
https://pickersyard.weebly.com/atom-universal-electronic-ignition-module.html

If so, I think I have a couple of similar units (green ones) lying around from my father's stash of lawn mower parts. I've been tempted to try mounting them in the Slick mags on the Lyc in my RV-4. Smile Any idea if there's something similar available today for the old points-ignition 503 engine? I'd love to get rid of the points in my 503, but the multi-hundred$ CD upgrade is hard to justify.

Thanks,

Charlie

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Balance Master Reply with quote

OK, the company is gone and I can play on the 'puter. You can see in the wiring diagram that the generator coil goes to both sets of points via the coils (and the dampening box) via J & K. (These diagrams are from OLD catalogs. I never throw that stuff away)

Next diagram; on the Bosch 503 magneto, #27 is the generator coil that goes to the points. #29 is the 30W lighting coil, which is what you will hook the Atom to, which will drive your experimental back up ignition, and the wires for that ought to be green, and green/black.

I am assuming that maybe this is one of those deals where you get a spark every time each piston is close to TDC and BDC, with the BDC spark just a wasted spark. But I have never tried this with a Rotax twin; only with a 277 single. None of this may even work at all. You are exploring new territory.

I would suggest you get yourself whatever coils you want to use, hook up the wiring, plugs, etc., and test it until it makes sense/you sort it out. You can easily use several feet of wire and set yourself up a test bench alongside the cockpit so you are away from the prop. You can still check the ignition advance and retard with a timing light on the magneto even while you are using a remote bench. Once you figure out how it works, then spring for the dual point heads and start looking for a place to put the coils. (I would suggest not installing them on the engine, because if the vibration causes them to get loose, you will have a forced landing. Guess how I know this?)

The last three images are from an article I submitted to the EAA Experimenter in March, 1990. (And which they actually printed. Wow...) NOTE: there is an error in the text - 1st page, 2nd paragraph - you use the green/black & green wire. Let me know if this actually works. If it does, I will rewrite it and put it on mw web page in a corrected form. If it fails to work, let me know that too. <Grin>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  766.33 KB
 Viewed:  2707 Time(s)

Wiring.jpg

503 mag.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  543.97 KB

503 mag.jpg

BA1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  589.22 KB

BA1.jpg

BA2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  515.31 KB

BA2.jpg

BA3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  543.59 KB

BA3.jpg

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Balance Master Reply with quote

On 5/2/2018 9:58 PM, Richard Pike wrote:
Quote:

OK, the company is gone and I can play on the 'puter. You can see in the wiring diagram that the generator coil goes to both sets of points via the coils (and the dampening box) via J & K. (These diagrams are from OLD catalogs. I never throw that stuff away)

Next diagram; on the Bosch 503 magneto, #27 is the generator coil that goes to the points. #29 is the 30W lighting coil, which is what you will hook the Atom to, which will drive your experimental back up ignition, and the wires for that ought to be green, and green/black.

I am assuming that maybe this is one of those deals where you get a spark every time each piston is close to TDC and BDC, with the BDC spark just a wasted spark. But I have never tried this with a Rotax twin; only with a 277 single. None of this may even work at all. You are exploring new territory.

I would suggest you get yourself whatever coils you want to use, hook up the wiring, and test it until it makes sense/you sort it out. You can easily use several feet of wire and set yourself up a test bench alongside the cockpit so you are away from the prop. You can still check the ignition advance and retard with a timing light on the magneto even while you are using a remote bench. Once you figure out how it works, then spring for the dual point heads and start looking for a place to put the coils. (I would suggest not installing them on the engine, because if the vibration causes them to get loose, you will have a forced landing. Guess how I know this?)

The last three images are from an article I submitted to the EAA Experimenter in March, 1990. (And which they actually printed. Wow...) Let me know if this actually works. If it fails to work, let me know that too.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0
Many thanks for the excellent info. I'll spend some time digesting it, &

let you know my results.

Charlie

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: