Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primer bulb quality

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

I bought a 6mm primer bulb on Amazon last summer for my Twinstar project. IIRC, it was installed in my fuel line in October. It's only been used a couple of times since installation. I've run less than 3 gallons of gas through it, using only non-ethanol premium car gas with two stroke oil. This morning, I noticed fuel standing on top of the tank, under the primer bulb. The bulb has completely dry rotted, with one end cracked almost all the way through. 
Here's the link to avoid:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCD8I9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, can anyone recommend a quality primer bulb for 6mm fuel line?
Thanks, 
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List



defective_primer_bulb_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.79 KB
 Viewed:  601 Time(s)

defective_primer_bulb_(Medium).jpg


Back to top
rickofudall



Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 1333
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

After a broken flapper valve put me back on the ground just seconds after take off I went searching for a better quality primer bulb. That was twelve years ago. Short version, all I could find was "Hecho en Chine" crap. Even the supposedly "good" one from CPS was junk. If you have an electrical system replace it with a Facet pump. That's the surest, safest way to go.
Rick Girard
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I bought a 6mm primer bulb on Amazon last summer for my Twinstar project. IIRC, it was installed in my fuel line in October. It's only been used a couple of times since installation. I've run less than 3 gallons of gas through it, using only non-ethanol premium car gas with two stroke oil. This morning, I noticed fuel standing on top of the tank, under the primer bulb. The bulb has completely dry rotted, with one end cracked almost all the way through. 
Here's the link to avoid:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCD8I9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, can anyone recommend a quality primer bulb for 6mm fuel line?
Thanks, 
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-7939962202052559284_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]


--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no battery. But I may have to re-think that....

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
After a broken flapper valve put me back on the ground just seconds after take off I went searching for a better quality primer bulb. That was twelve years ago. Short version, all I could find was "Hecho en Chine" crap. Even the supposedly "good" one from CPS was junk. If you have an electrical system replace it with a Facet pump. That's the surest, safest way to go.
Rick Girard
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I bought a 6mm primer bulb on Amazon last summer for my Twinstar project. IIRC, it was installed in my fuel line in October. It's only been used a couple of times since installation. I've run less than 3 gallons of gas through it, using only non-ethanol premium car gas with two stroke oil. This morning, I noticed fuel standing on top of the tank, under the primer bulb. The bulb has completely dry rotted, with one end cracked almost all the way through. 
Here's the link to avoid:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCD8I9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, can anyone recommend a quality primer bulb for 6mm fuel line?
Thanks, 
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_-3983814855049618153_m_-7939962202052559284_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]


--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx



- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
John Hauck



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 4617
Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

Haven't used a primer bulb since my Firestar days, with no battery.  When I built the MKIII, the primer bulb was replaced with a Facet fuel pump.

Primer bulbs are famous for failing, on the ground and in the air.  1997, while on a flight in the Firestar from Alabama to Miami, I had an engine failure over Sebring, FL.  Only place to go was the football stadium at Sebring High School.  I made it into that tiny spot and got stopped.  The Lord was with me that day.  No brakes installed on the Firestar at that time.  The primer bulb stopped passing fuel and the pulse pump pulled it flat.

If I was going to run a primer bulb I would spend the dollars and buy a name brand, i.e., Honda, Mercury, etc.  I like Honda.  Had one on a 90 Honda outboard that was very old.  When I sold the boat it was still in good shape.  The price will scare you when you go to buy a replacement.

Usually, in my experience, it's the little things that bring you down more than catastrophic failures.  Murphy is always lurking, waiting to do his dirty deeds.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama




From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 8:15 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: primer bulb quality


I bought a 6mm primer bulb on Amazon last summer for my Twinstar project. IIRC, it was installed in my fuel line in October. It's only been used a couple of times since installation. I've run less than 3 gallons of gas through it, using only non-ethanol premium car gas with two stroke oil. This morning, I noticed fuel standing on top of the tank, under the primer bulb. The bulb has completely dry rotted, with one end cracked almost all the way through.
Here's the link to avoid:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCD8I9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1



Now, can anyone recommend a quality primer bulb for 6mm fuel line?



Thanks,



Charlie


Virus-free. www.avast.com


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

You could check a boat shop.   
I bought a used boat in the late 80s,   2 stroke outboard,,,  have no idea how old the primer bulb was when I bought it,   I had the boat 20 years,   and was still using the same bulb when I sold the boat.
Boyd Young
Quote:

[url=#m_-6390720489743258610_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
gdhelton(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

I agree with you guys. A facet electric fuel pump is the way to go. I don’t use a electric starter so I run it off a small 1.3 amp AGM battery that charges off the rectifier regulator with capacitor in the charging circuit to balance the voltage output. I didn’t figure this stuff out. It’s all thanks to you guys on the Kolb-List . Gotta go with experience. [img]cid:E7F49C55-248E-496D-AEBC-DABAB3C9B78B[/img]
I’ve since relocated the battery to the nose but the system remains the same.George Helton
1986 Firestar,FS100, 2702 Hirth
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

On May 11, 2018, at 10:12 AM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
You could check a boat shop.
I bought a used boat in the late 80s, 2 stroke outboard,,, have no idea how old the primer bulb was when I bought it, I had the boat 20 years, and was still using the same bulb when I sold the boat.
Boyd Young
Quote:

[url=#m_-6390720489743258610_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]





- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List



image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.26 KB
 Viewed:  597 Time(s)

image1.jpeg


Back to top
Richard Pike



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1520
Location: Blountville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

Facet is the way to go, unless you don't have an electrical system. But even w/o an electrical system, you don' need no steekeen primer bulb...

Hard plumb the system as much as possible. Good quality rubber fuel line from the tank to the aluminum fuel line, run that aluminum tubing all the way to the fuel pulse pump. Run clear urethane line (so you can see the fuel going through it) from the fuel pump to the carb and replace it annually.

Solder a piece of brass tubing to a brass washer and used a rubber grommet to make a fairly airtight connection to the tank; this is your vent opening. Get a long enough length of model airplane fuel tubing to fit snugly over the brass tube and reach to the side of the fuselage.

To prime the engine, blow into the model airplane fuel line until you see the gas start to flow out of the pulse pump toward the carb. Now pinch off the model airplane fuel line and hold it for a minute until the float bowl has time to fill. Walk around to the engine side and verify that the fuel line is full, if the fuel line is full, probably your float bowl is too.


- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List



hard1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.36 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

hard1.jpeg



hard2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.87 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

hard2.jpeg



vent.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.58 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

vent.jpeg



plastic.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.51 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

plastic.jpeg



_________________
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kolb Firefly Part 103 legal (Repairing the fiberglass nose bowl. Ugh.)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
pcarillonsr(at)neo.rr.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

On 5/11/2018 12:00 PM, Richard Pike wrote:
Quote:


i used to pull the vent line up and just blow in it putting pressure in the fuel tank forceing the fuel up to the carbs. Worked for me. Only drawback you probably introduce a little moisture from your breath into the tank. I now have a plunger primer.
Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/hard1_105.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/hard2_144.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/vent_111.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/plastic_179.jpeg



- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: primer bulb quality Reply with quote

Well first, I want to thank everyone for their ideas & input. Believe me; I'd much rather have the Facet (or knockoff) than the squeeze bulb, along with an actual electrical system; not to mention a starter that doesn't give the pilot a pre-flight workout.

I wrote the vendor about the primer, and they are sending a replacement. It'll be interesting to see if it survives any longer than the 1st one.

I decided to start collecting parts for an electrical system, & ordered a used regulator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotax-Hirth-Cuyuna-Kawasaki-Ultralight-Hovercraft-3-Phase-Voltage-Regulator/192415528687?hash=item2cccdbf6ef:g:YUcAAOSw6D1a8EcK
Looks like a single phase model to me, but the vendor claims it's 'three phase' (term used by all the vendors for the finned units; I can't figure where the two extra phases come from since there's only one pair of wires coming out of the lighting coil....). The Twinstar already has a regulator, but it was built from components by my friend who built the plane. He is very qualified to design & build one, but it's so old that the schematic is long gone.

Now....Does anyone know of any old watercraft or snowmobiles that used the old points-ignition 503 *and* had electric start? I'd really like to find a starter that will fit, without paying the 6-8 hundred$ for a new one.  Surely there are used ones available, but I need to know what makes/models had them installed.

Thanks again,

Charlie


On 5/11/2018 9:33 AM, George Helton wrote:

Quote:
I agree with you guys. A facet electric fuel pump is the way to go. I don’t use a electric starter so I run it off a small 1.3 amp AGM battery that charges off the rectifier regulator with capacitor in the charging circuit to balance the voltage output. I didn’t figure this stuff out. It’s all thanks to you guys on the Kolb-List . Gotta go with experience. [img]cid:part1.ED791402.3C8C30C8(at)gmail.com[/img]
I’ve since relocated the battery to the nose but the system remains the same. George Helton 
1986 Firestar,FS100, 2702 Hirth 
14GDH 
Mesick, Michigan 
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

On May 11, 2018, at 10:12 AM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:


Quote:
You could check a boat shop.   
I bought a used boat in the late 80s,   2 stroke outboard,,,  have no idea how old the primer bulb was when I bought it,   I had the boat 20 years,   and was still using the same bulb when I sold the boat.


Boyd Young


Quote:









- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List



image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.26 KB
 Viewed:  567 Time(s)

image1.jpeg


Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group