Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dents in VS Skin from flush set..... ARGGGGGHHHHHH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjennings07(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Dents in VS Skin from flush set..... ARGGGGGHHHHHH Reply with quote

Alright,  I was making great progress and then used my non dominant hand to rivet the second side of the VS skin and managed to make about 6 dents in the skin along the front spar before I realized the poor form and consequent mistake.  They are absolutely noticeable.  In a "done is better than perfect" moment I kept riveting once I was cooled off about the mistake so that I would have a finished part.  Now I am looking for a filler that I can use to make the dents go away before I drill out all the rivets and try a second time with a NEW skin.  Is there anyone out there or "has a friend" who has made a mistake like this before and lived to tell the tale while using a filler that has stood the test of time?  I have lots of experience with Bondo from my motorcycle painting days and know it is NOT up to this task.  Flex/expand/contract/vibrate, all things that would separate brittle Bondo from the skin making it unsuitable for this task.  I am hopeful there is a better product out there for aviation before I crack out the drill and try my hand at a second skin?  

Thanks,Tim

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
brian.lester(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Dents in VS Skin from flush set..... ARGGGGGHHHHHH Reply with quote

Leave it be, at least for now.
At least that was my decision when I had some “imperfections”. Don’t worry about fixing dents if it’s just a surface imperfection. Build on and learn from it.
When you get to final assembly (or close to it) look at it again with a fresh set of eyes and decide if you need a new skin or if epoxy and micro is fine. (Heck if you get it painted ask he shop to make it look better if you are concerned. )

Just my 2 cents.

-Brian
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM Tim Jennings <tjennings07(at)gmail.com (tjennings07(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Alright,  I was making great progress and then used my non dominant hand to rivet the second side of the VS skin and managed to make about 6 dents in the skin along the front spar before I realized the poor form and consequent mistake.  They are absolutely noticeable.  In a "done is better than perfect" moment I kept riveting once I was cooled off about the mistake so that I would have a finished part.  Now I am looking for a filler that I can use to make the dents go away before I drill out all the rivets and try a second time with a NEW skin.  Is there anyone out there or "has a friend" who has made a mistake like this before and lived to tell the tale while using a filler that has stood the test of time?  I have lots of experience with Bondo from my motorcycle painting days and know it is NOT up to this task.  Flex/expand/contract/vibrate, all things that would separate brittle Bondo from the skin making it unsuitable for this task.  I am hopeful there is a better product out there for aviation before I crack out the drill and try my hand at a second skin?  

Thanks,Tim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Dents in VS Skin from flush set..... ARGGGGGHHHHHH Reply with quote

Very good advice. I believe one filler that will work is "Superfill",
which is a mix of epoxy resin and high percentage of micro-balloons.
Available at AC Spruce and similar vendors.

On 5/20/2018 7:21 PM, Brian Lester wrote:
Quote:
Leave it be, at least for now.
At least that was my decision when I had some “imperfections”. Don’t
worry about fixing dents if it’s just a surface imperfection. Build on
and learn from it.
When you get to final assembly (or close to it) look at it again with a
fresh set of eyes and decide if you need a new skin or if epoxy and
micro is fine. (Heck if you get it painted ask he shop to make it look
better if you are concerned. )

Just my 2 cents.

-Brian
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM Tim Jennings <tjennings07(at)gmail.com
<mailto:tjennings07(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

Alright,  I was making great progress and then used my non dominant
hand to rivet the second side of the VS skin and managed to make
about 6 dents in the skin along the front spar before I realized the
poor form and consequent mistake.  They are absolutely noticeable.

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Dents in VS Skin from flush set..... ARGGGGGHHHHHH Reply with quote

+1 for superfill.  It's the "Cadillac of Bondo".  Only downside is that it takes a lot longer to cure than polyester--count on at least several hours.

Those dents are like the first door ding on a new car.  They hurt the worst but it you'll get past it.  Learning how to fix the mistake is pretty valuable.
--Dave
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Tim Jennings <tjennings07(at)gmail.com (tjennings07(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: