Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sun Visor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last year.  This is what I currently have: Shades
While they work pretty well for the passenger rear-windows and the doors, they are an unnecessary distraction, inconvenience, and safety issue for the wind shield.
I am ready to bite the bullet and put in some visors.
I am really only finding two options out there.
  1. Blue Sky's Visor -  ~$200
  2. Rosen + 3rd Axis - ~$520 

Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal.  They do not stay in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch down, etc.  The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to be replaced.
Rosen is apparently made from solid gold, personally dug by Tibetan monks on the north face of Mount Everest.  
2 fellow 10's on the airport have switched from BS to Ro$en.

Are there any other options out there?  Is this truly a matter of you get what you pay for?
What are you guys using?  What would you recommend?
--
Vernon Franklin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
philperry9

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

No issues with my Rosen’s. Trouble free and I have never given any thought to them failing. They just work as advertised, so the thought has never even crossed my mind.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On May 22, 2018, at 11:28 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last year. This is what I currently have: Shades

While they work pretty well for the passenger rear-windows and the doors, they are an unnecessary distraction, inconvenience, and safety issue for the wind shield.

Blue Sky's Visor - ~$200
Rosen + 3rd Axis - ~$520

Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal. They do not stay in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch down, etc. The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to be replaced

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

phil(at)philyoder.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

You get what you pay for with Rosen’s- but I’m shocked that they are north of $500.  But then, nothing surprises me anymore. 

Phil

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:57 PM Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
No issues with my Rosen’s.  Trouble free and I have never given any thought to them failing.    They just work as advertised, so the thought has never even crossed my mind. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2018, at 11:28 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last year.  This is what I currently have: Shades
  1. Blue Sky's Visor -  ~$200
  2. Rosen + 3rd Axis - ~$520 

Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal.  They do not stay in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch down, etc.  The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to be replaced.
Rosen is apparently made from solid gold, personally dug by Tibetan monks on the north face of Mount Everest.  

Are there any other options out there?  Is this truly a matter of you get what you pay for?

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Phil Yoder phil(at)philyoder.com (phil(at)philyoder.com) \__________o-( )-o__________/ www.itsnotthatcomplex.com

pietflyer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I have Rosen’s on my Cessna 170B and like them so well I bought a set for my RV-10 project.  If you go to SNF or OSH they do give a slight “Show Special” discount.

Jack Phillips
#40610 – about ready to put it on its gear
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Vernon Franklin
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:29 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Sun Visor

I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last year. This is what I currently have: Shades

1. Blue Sky's Visor - ~$200
  2. Rosen + 3rd Axis - ~$520

Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal. They do not stay in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch down, etc. The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to be replaced.

Are there any other options out there? Is this truly a matter of you get what you pay for?

What are you guys using? What would you recommend?

--
Vernon Franklin

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I've had the Blue sky visors for many years now. There was a time when
they didn't want to stay in place very well, but after tightening them
up a bit they work fine for me. They're far cheaper, as you noted,
but also lighter, and more compact and easy to fold out of the way.
I agree that by all appearances the Rosen visors are built tougher
and everything else. I just don't think that $520 has any real
world way to justify that kind of price for a little bit of aluminum
and brackets, and plexi, and once the price gets that high I get
a little bit bothered to the point that I find it hard to support
them. To many others it may be well worth it. To me, I've been
happy with mine for much less cost. Your best bet is to
visit a couple of planes and physically see them first hand to
see what you find satisfactory. If you do go with Rosen, at
least buy them at some show special price.
Tim
On 05/22/2018 11:28 AM, Vernon Franklin wrote:
Quote:
I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last
year.  This is what I currently have: Shades
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKZTNYP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

While they work pretty well for the passenger rear-windows and the
doors, they are an unnecessary distraction, inconvenience, and safety
issue for the wind shield.

1. Blue Sky's Visor <http://www.blueskysunvisors.com/> -  ~$200
2. Rosen + 3rd Axis
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/rosenvisors.php#> -
~$520

Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal.  They do not stay
in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch
down, etc.  The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to
be replaced.

Rosen is apparently made from solid gold, personally dug by Tibetan
monks on the north face of Mount Everest.

Are there any other options out there?  Is this truly a matter of you
get what you pay for?

--
Vernon Franklin

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Okay guys. If you place any value on ‘looks’ just skip this post.
I’ll pay airplane prices for airplane parts, but a sun visor? I took a piece of 2x4, drilled a hole thru it, cut it lengthwise so now I had two semi-circular holes, put it together with some bolts and wingnuts on the center post. Tension on the bolts adjusted so it slides up and down on the post with some force applied, but otherwise stays put. I think I put some felt or velco inside the hole, not sure. Two dowl rods extend out horizontally on each side. Attached to each rod is a green plastic visor from ACS with its suction cup removed ($15 iirc). These have pretty good optical quality. I can move them up/down, or side to side a bit, but no side window coverage. Rotate up and out of the way when not in use. Look like hell but they work.

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I agree with Tim. I bought mine at a Flymart, but believe they are the
Blue Sky. I might have needed to adjust tension initially. I rarely move
mine much from the straight ahead max shade position, which probably
reduces wear and tear. Otherwise, just buy some static cling tinting
material, cut into appropriate size/shape, and slap it up there. That is
what I use for side windows.
Kelly

On 5/22/2018 10:36 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

I've had the Blue sky visors for many years now.  There was a time when
up a bit they work fine for me.  They're far cheaper, as you noted,
.  To me, I've been

Quote:
happy with mine for much less cost.  Your best bet is to
Tim

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I’m another happy Blue Sky customer. Coming up on 10 years and north of 1000 hours. I flew professionally with Rosen’s for decades and they are great. I looked at both when I was building. One thing I didn’t particularly care for was the size of the Rosen’s. In my opinion, they’re too big for the airplane, when compared to Blue Sky. I adjust the tension screws once or twice a year, and have had no problems. I can even adjust them in flight with the short Phillips head I keep in the cockpit to open my oil door on the cowling.

David Maib
Quote:
On May 22, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

I've had the Blue sky visors for many years now. There was a time when
up a bit they work fine for me. They're far cheaper, as you noted,
I agree that by all appearances the Rosen visors are built tougher
and everything else. I just don't think that $520 has any real
world way to justify that kind of price for a little bit of aluminum
and brackets, and plexi, and once the price gets that high I get
a little bit bothered to the point that I find it hard to support
them. To many others it may be well worth it. To me, I've been
happy with mine for much less cost. Your best bet is to
Tim

> On 05/22/2018 11:28 AM, Vernon Franklin wrote:
> I have been living with suction cup car shades in the plane for the last year. This is what I currently have: Shades <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKZTNYP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
> While they work pretty well for the passenger rear-windows and the doors, they are an unnecessary distraction, inconvenience, and safety issue for the wind shield.
> I am ready to bite the bullet and put in some visors.
> I am really only finding two options out there.
> 1. Blue Sky's Visor <http://www.blueskysunvisors.com/> - ~$200
> 2. Rosen + 3rd Axis
> <http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/rosenvisors.php#> -
> ~$520 Reviews I am reading on Blue Sky are pretty abysmal. They do not stay in place, any turbulence causes them to move, drop every time you touch down, etc. The tightening screws eventually give out and things have to be replaced.
> Rosen is apparently made from solid gold, personally dug by Tibetan monks on the north face of Mount Everest.
> 2 fellow 10's on the airport have switched from BS to Ro$en.
> Are there any other options out there? Is this truly a matter of you get what you pay for?
> What are you guys using? What would you recommend?
> --
> Vernon Franklin

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Raise your hand if you'd like to see pics of Bob's DIY visors...

Smile
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

I’ll pay airplane prices for airplane parts, but a sun visor? I took a piece of 2x4, drilled a hole thru it, cut it lengthwise so now I had two semi-circular holes, put it together with some bolts and wingnuts on the center post. Tension on the bolts adjusted so it slides up and down on the post with some force applied, but otherwise stays put. I think I put some felt or velco inside the hole, not sure. Two dowl rods extend out horizontally on each side. Attached to each rod is a green plastic visor from ACS with its suction cup removed ($15 iirc). These have pretty good optical quality. I can move them up/down, or side to side a bit, but no side window coverage. Rotate up and out of the way when not in use. Look like hell but they work.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480318#480318

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

parish(at)parishmoffitt.c

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

[img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083661107[/img][img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083661790[/img][img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083662318[/img]

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/23/18 9:23 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Re: Sun Visor

Smile
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

sticker_cutieslife_001.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.71 KB
 Viewed:  15592 Time(s)

Description:

Description:

Greg McFarlane

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

I’ve got the visors that Blue Sky make specifically for the RV10 and would recommend them. They are made well and they fit and work extremely well, and look good. Fitting was simple with each side only needing one hole in the pillar and secured by the one screw. After the initial fit I applied release agent to the square mounting peg and built up around the peg about 3/4inch with a epoxy/flox mix which gave more security and support to the mount and also a more finished look, IMHO Cheers from Western Australia

vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Definitely! Bob, where are the goods?
Vernon
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM parish <parish(at)parishmoffitt.com (parish(at)parishmoffitt.com)> wrote:

Quote:
[img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083661107[/img][img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083661790[/img][img]cid:com_sec_android_inputmethod_provider_root_data_data_com_sec_android_inputmethod_sticker_temp_Cutie_Life_sticker_cutieslife_001_png_1527083662318[/img] 

From: Bill Boyd <sportav8r(at)gmail.com (sportav8r(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: Sun Visor

Smile
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -
===========

--
Vernon Franklin

Description:
 Viewed:  15576 Time(s)

Description:
 Viewed:  15576 Time(s)

tgmeyerster(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Try a google search for “rammount visor”
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:02 PM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Definitely! Bob, where are the goods?
Vernon
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM parish <parish(at)parishmoffitt.com (parish(at)parishmoffitt.com)> wrote:

Quote:

From: Bill Boyd <sportav8r(at)gmail.com (sportav8r(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: Sun Visor

Smile
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -
===========

--
Vernon Franklin

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

See if this works....

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Nope.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Ha -Smile
My comment was aimed at the fact that two previous attempts to post a picture had failed (and since deleted), but I can see your interpretation. At least you were forewarned about the lack of beauty! I think the photo exaggerates their size; each is 6” x 12”.

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Smile. I think he meant the pics didn’t post. I didn’t see them either.
Tim

Quote:
On May 25, 2018, at 10:30 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

Ha -Smile
My comment was aimed at the fact that two previous attempts to post a picture had failed (and since deleted), but I can see your interpretation. At least you were forewarned about the lack of beauty! I think the photo exaggerates their size; each is 6” x 12”.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480406#480406

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Help! I see the photo. Posted on TinyPics. Any ideas?

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

It does show on the web:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480401

Lenny

On May 25, 2018, at 11:54 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480408#480408

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhttp://forum====================================================; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_nbsp; --> http://wiki.matronic========================== - Lnbsp; -Matt Dralle, Ltronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Reply with quote

Ah sure. So it’s there but just that the email viewers can’t see it.
That makes sense, thanks Lenny!
Tim

On May 25, 2018, at 11:18 PM, Lenard Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com (lenard(at)rapiddecision.com)> wrote:
Quote:
It does show on the web:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480401

Lenny

On May 25, 2018, at 11:54 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480408#480408

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List" http://forum====================================================; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_nbsp; --> http://wiki.matronic========================== - Lnbsp; -Matt Dralle, Ltronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: