Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Condition Inspection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellym

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

The point is to use the exact words that are contained in your operating
limitations. Don't freelance on the wording. For the last 10 years or
so, all operating limitations should have same wording, but you never
know. Also a good time to verify that you have copy of operating
limitations, weight and balance and registration all in the plane as
required. (you would be surprised how many don't carry their operating
limitations).

On 5/27/2018 5:37 AM, Vernon Franklin wrote:
Quote:
All very good information, thanks guys.  It sounds like the log entry I
added before first flight.  It should just be repeated at each year's
condition.

> "I certify this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with scope
and detail of Appendix D to Part 43 and has been found to be in a
condition for safe operation."

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Dave,
It is a definitional thing. You use the same Part 43 Appendix D guidance
to do a 100 hour inspection, an annual inspection, and a condition
inspection. You inspect the same things and for the most part standards
are the same. However, an annual requires an IA, 100 hour an A&P, and a
condition inspection can be a repairman or A&P.
The FAA engages in a lot of circular definitions and arguments. They
choose to define "airworthy" as an aircraft, airframe, engine, etc. that
"conforms to its original or properly modified type certificate".
No amateur built aircraft has a type certificate. So it can't meet the
above definition. You can go off and find all kinds of links back to
safety, safe for flight, certificates, etc. which still don't get you to
conforming to a type certificate.
I've seen plenty of type certificated aircraft that have only been
signed off for 100 hour inspections for several years. By paperwork,
they are not airworthy, regardless of how pristine the aircraft is.
I see plenty of amateur built aircraft signed off for annuals...says
nothing about the safety of the aircraft, but their paperwork is
inadequate. Why not do it right, just as you would do the physical work
right? No different than aircraft that go years without jam nuts
properly tightened, cables not properly routed, etc. They haven't fallen
out of the sky yet, but the potential is there. I saw a Cessna that had
the flap and aileron cables crossed in the door posts
for over 20 years. Would you want to hop in and fly that aircraft?
Do you want to buy an amateur aircraft that the records show a history
of improper inspection records?
Your airplane blows a tire on landing, takes out a runway light or two.
Do you want to be answering the investigating FSDO inspector's question
about how you determined that the aircraft is "airworthy". Why put
yourself in that situation?

On 5/28/2018 6:17 AM, David Saylor wrote:
Quote:
I agree.  I've seen a lot of EABs with annuals signed off in the logs.
Same fit, form, and function, but an annual is not a condition inspection.

My concern would be, like Bob encountered, when a fed says we can't use
the word "airworthy", like it's reserved for a higher class of aircraft
or something.  Not the case.

--Dave

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 5:52 PM Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com
<mailto:jesse(at)saintaviation.com>> wrote:

The operating limitations, iirc, give the wording then say “or
similarly worded statement”. The passenger warning says it does not
meet the federal safety regulations for standard aircraft, but does
not say anything about airworthiness. The special airworthiness
certificate is still and airworthiness certificate. All that aside,
the easiest way to handle it is to use the wording in the operating
limitations. I see many experimentals that have past sign offs with
the certified plane wording.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com <mailto:jesse(at)saintaviation.com>

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2018, at 8:14 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com
<mailto:apilot2(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

> You are debating with the FAA themselves. The definition says it
> has to have a type certificate. They then insert circular wording
> to say condition for safe operation means airworthy, which it does
> not. Experimental aircraft have a "special airworthiness
> certificate" because they don't meet the requirements for a
> "Standard" airworthiness certificate. Look at the required
> passenger warning on your instrument panel that states the
> aircraft does not meet all FA A airworthiness requirements.  Your
> operating limitations state the very specific language to be used
> for sign-off of a condition inspection. Use other language at your
> own peril. The language is there to protect you more than anything
> else. Type certificated aircraft have very specific language for
> sign off of their annual inspection, and any inspector that values
> his certificates will use that language.
>
> Sent from my IBM-360 main frame
>
> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 9:53 AM, David Saylor
> <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com <mailto:saylor.dave(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Maintained correctly, our airplanes are airworthy.  They have
> airworthiness certificates. They fit the FAA's definition,
> which acknowledges that they needn't conform to a type
> design.  91.7 says we're not allowed to take off unless the
> plane is airworthy.
>
> If you want to substitute "airworthy" for "in a condition for
> safe operation" in your signoff, go ahead.  That's about as
> similarly worded as you can get!
>
> 8130.2J
> Appendix I
> Definitions:
> Airworthy. An aircraft with a type certificate (TC) is
> airworthy when it conforms to its U.S. TC and is in a
> condition for safe operation. For the purpose of this order, a
> non-type-certificated aircraft is airworthy when it is in a
> condition for safe operation.
>
> --Dave
>
> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 3:50 PM Bob Turner
> <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu <mailto:bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu>> wrote:
>
>
> <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu <mailto:bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu>>
>
> I think you will find suggested wording in your operating
> limitations document. These days the faa recommends you do
> not use the word “airworthy”, as that specifically means
> “Is in conformance with its type certificate”. Of course
> EAB aircraft don’t have a type certificate.
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480425#480425
> ===========
> -List" rel="noreferrer"
> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
> ===========
> FORUMS -
> eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
> ===========
> WIKI -
> errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
> ===========
> b Site -
>           -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
> rel="noreferrer"
> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
> ===========
>
>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a primer war over a log book entry.  I do appreciate everyone's feedback though.  It seems the Operating Limits is the best course of action on this one.
The inspection went well, took a bit longer than I anticipated.  
Unfortunately, SB 16-03-28 jumped up and bit me.  I have cracking in my rear wing spar at the hinge attach point.  Of course it had to happen a month after I got out of the paint shop.  *sigh*
See the crack here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8G7paTvP6U3sZe5LXt4PTWF9w6YFunOYR2PD7qT8BNh
I am surprised it happened after only a year of flying, I guess to many Lomcovaks and Crazy Ivans.  JK.
If you haven't done this SB, I definitely encourage you to get it done.  If it can happen after only a year of flying, I imagine that most of the older fleet might definitely start to have these stress cracks.

Has anyone else had to do this repair yet?  This one looks like a real pain, not looking forward to it.

--
Vernon Franklin

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Make sure you report the cracks to Van’s.
It would be nice if they can keep track of how common this becomes. If it affects a larger and larger portion of the fleet it may be something that would be better addressing as a preventative step, but as far as I know, they still recommend not doing the fix unless you have cracks. Your 1 year story kind of has my curiosity up and if we hear this more, I may just want to take the step and fix it now before I have the issue. Especially on the RV14 that does aerobatics.
Thanks for posting.
Tim

On May 29, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a primer war over a log book entry. I do appreciate everyone's feedback though. It seems the Operating Limits is the best course of action on this one.
Unfortunately, SB 16-03-28 jumped up and bit me. I have cracking in my rear wing spar at the hinge attach point. Of course it had to happen a month after I got out of the paint shop. *sigh*
See the crack here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8G7paTvP6U3sZe5LXt4PTWF9w6YFunOYR2PD7qT8BNh
I am surprised it happened after only a year of flying, I guess to many Lomcovaks and Crazy Ivans. JK.
If you haven't done this SB, I definitely encourage you to get it done. If it can happen after only a year of flying, I imagine that most of the older fleet might definitely start to have these stress cracks.

Has anyone else had to do this repair yet? This one looks like a real pain, not looking forward to it.

--
Vernon Franklin

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

I have inspected dozens of RV’s and have never found a crack there.

Jesse SaintSaint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694
Sent from my iPhone
On May 29, 2018, at 12:16 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Make sure you report the cracks to Van’s.
It would be nice if they can keep track of how common this becomes. If it affects a larger and larger portion of the fleet it may be something that would be better addressing as a preventative step, but as far as I know, they still recommend not doing the fix unless you have cracks. Your 1 year story kind of has my curiosity up and if we hear this more, I may just want to take the step and fix it now before I have the issue. Especially on the RV14 that does aerobatics.
Thanks for posting.
Tim

On May 29, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a primer war over a log book entry. I do appreciate everyone's feedback though. It seems the Operating Limits is the best course of action on this one.
Unfortunately, SB 16-03-28 jumped up and bit me. I have cracking in my rear wing spar at the hinge attach point. Of course it had to happen a month after I got out of the paint shop. *sigh*
See the crack here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8G7paTvP6U3sZe5LXt4PTWF9w6YFunOYR2PD7qT8BNh
I am surprised it happened after only a year of flying, I guess to many Lomcovaks and Crazy Ivans. JK.
If you haven't done this SB, I definitely encourage you to get it done. If it can happen after only a year of flying, I imagine that most of the older fleet might definitely start to have these stress cracks.

Has anyone else had to do this repair yet? This one looks like a real pain, not looking forward to it.

--
Vernon Franklin

philperry9

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Oooff. That’s on the interior side correct?

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Good eye!  I've looked at this on a couple different planes.  No signs yet.  I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be an RV-10 thing.

What did you use to see it?  Just a light and mirror, camera, endoscope on your phone?  Nice picture too.  Thanks for the post.
--Dave
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:47 AM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a primer war over a log book entry.  I do appreciate everyone's feedback though.  It seems the Operating Limits is the best course of action on this one.
Unfortunately, SB 16-03-28 jumped up and bit me.  I have cracking in my rear wing spar at the hinge attach point.  Of course it had to happen a month after I got out of the paint shop.  *sigh*
See the crack here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/8G7paTvP6U3sZe5LXt4PTWF9w6YFunOYR2PD7qT8BNh
I am surprised it happened after only a year of flying, I guess to many Lomcovaks and Crazy Ivans.  JK.
If you haven't done this SB, I definitely encourage you to get it done.  If it can happen after only a year of flying, I imagine that most of the older fleet might definitely start to have these stress cracks.

Has anyone else had to do this repair yet?  This one looks like a real pain, not looking forward to it.

--
Vernon Franklin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

So, I was on the phone with builder support yesterday, trying to work out a game plan.  As they had not seen a crack this bad before on the rear spar webbing. He asked me to go in and clean the area the best I could with a shop towel, and send some better pictures to them for further analysis.
Word of advice, wipe down any cracks you find straight away.  It will make sure you don't have a panic attack and worry all day for nothing.
Yup, it was a dusty cob web... 
While slightly embarrassed, I am so relieved it was nothing.  This is one of those life lessons I am going to share with the grand-kids one day.
Vernon

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:58 PM David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Good eye!  I've looked at this on a couple different planes.  No signs yet.  I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be an RV-10 thing.

What did you use to see it?  Just a light and mirror, camera, endoscope on your phone?  Nice picture too.  Thanks for the post.
--Dave
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:47 AM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

pietflyer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Vernon, looking at the phot I can see why you were concerned.  What kind of spider lays a web from the center of one rivet to the center of another?

Good eye, and glad it was nothing.

Jack Phillips
#40610 – Just hung the engine mount this morning
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Vernon Franklin
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:39 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: First Condition Inspection

So, I was on the phone with builder support yesterday, trying to work out a game plan. As they had not seen a crack this bad before on the rear spar webbing.
He asked me to go in and clean the area the best I could with a shop towel, and send some better pictures to them for further analysis.

Word of advice, wipe down any cracks you find straight away. It will make sure you don't have a panic attack and worry all day for nothing.

While slightly embarrassed, I am so relieved it was nothing. This is one of those life lessons I am going to share with the grand-kids one day.

Vernon

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:58 PM David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Good eye! I've looked at this on a couple different planes. No signs yet. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be an RV-10 thing.

What did you use to see it? Just a light and mirror, camera, endoscope on your phone? Nice picture too. Thanks for the post.

--Dave

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

cooprv7(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

Whew! I’ll bet you haven’t felt this good in along while. Glad to hear it was nothing.
Marcus

On May 30, 2018, at 8:38 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Do not archive
Quote:
So, I was on the phone with builder support yesterday, trying to work out a game plan. As they had not seen a crack this bad before on the rear spar webbing. He asked me to go in and clean the area the best I could with a shop towel, and send some better pictures to them for further analysis.
Word of advice, wipe down any cracks you find straight away. It will make sure you don't have a panic attack and worry all day for nothing.
While slightly embarrassed, I am so relieved it was nothing. This is one of those life lessons I am going to share with the grand-kids one day.
Vernon

Quote:
Good eye! I've looked at this on a couple different planes. No signs yet. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be an RV-10 thing.

What did you use to see it? Just a light and mirror, camera, endoscope on your phone? Nice picture too. Thanks for the post.
--Dave

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

"What kind of spider lays a web from the center of one rivet to the center of another?"
Crack widow? 

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 06:23 Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com (jack(at)bedfordlandings.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Vernon, looking at the phot I can see why you were concerned.  What kind of spider lays a web from the center of one rivet to the center of another?

Jack Phillips

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Vernon Franklin
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

So, I was on the phone with builder support yesterday, trying to work out a game plan.  As they had not seen a crack this bad before on the rear spar webbing. 
He asked me to go in and clean the area the best I could with a shop towel, and send some better pictures to them for further analysis.

Word of advice, wipe down any cracks you find straight away.  It will make sure you don't have a panic attack and worry all day for nothing.

While slightly embarrassed, I am so relieved it was nothing.  This is one of those life lessons I am going to share with the grand-kids one day.

Vernon

Quote:

--Dave

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: First Condition Inspection Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/SUeUCn53naadO/giphy.gif

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:07 AM David Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
 "What kind of spider lays a web from the center of one rivet to the center of another?"
Crack widow? 

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 06:23 Jack Philips <jack(at)bedfordlandings.com (jack(at)bedfordlandings.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Jack Phillips

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Vernon Franklin
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

So, I was on the phone with builder support yesterday, trying to work out a game plan.  As they had not seen a crack this bad before on the rear spar webbing. 

Vernon

Quote:

--Dave

Quote:

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: