Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak Control Surface Curiosity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Yak Control Surface Curiosity Reply with quote

TGIF!

My Yak is just coming out of annual and, as usual - my A&P asked questions I had no answer for. He noticed my ailerons appear to be covered in cotton (?) and a very poor job, at that. One has reinforcement tape on it while the other has none. The finish is more of an abrasive, cardboard quality than smooth-as-glass. Elevators and rudder appear to be more conventional covering processes. They are glossy and smooth, but are poorly done w/ bunched-up seams and wavy lines, etc. We were wondering if this is "status quo?" Were the surfaces done at several factories and then met on the assembly line? Or are these examples of poor, independent workmanship? N21YK is a '92.

One other thing: how tight should the trim tab be? Is any play in the linkage normal / acceptable? (...as in 1/16")

Just wondering...

Thanks!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.  
Wausau, WI. 54401
      //
1969 Cessna 150J   ^/---//-X
N61333     // Hangar #35 / AUW
    //
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52 ^/---//-X
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jay-dub

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yak Control Surface Curiosity Reply with quote

Is it the original covering? If so, I'm surprised it's lasted that long.

We have Ceconite on our -52 and CJ.

... or it may just be a carp job.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Yak Control Surface Curiosity Reply with quote

Rico, Sounds lousy to me. Most likely independent and first attempt at recovering by someone in a hurry. There are a number of excellent recovering system out there that are easier to apply than the original cotton process. It does not take much effort to really do a nice job IF one is not in a hurry. Properly recovered controls add a market value to the airplane as well as some aerodynamic property. The newer covering systems last a hell of a lot longer than cotton any day.

As for the trim 1/16th does not sound "bad" to me, after all, she's a 52, not an Extra 300XL. Wink

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Yak Control Surface Curiosity Reply with quote

Get the Stits covering book. I am finishing up my 50’s control surfaces using the book as a guide and using Stits poly fiber. I had cotton also. Was a wonder the surfaces did not flutter like hell with the gobs of cotton I pull out of the controls. The excess was not trimmed. It was wadded up inside the controls.Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 3, 2018, at 10:58 AM, "\"" <cjpilot710(at)aol.com (cjpilot710(at)aol.com)> <cjpilot710(at)aol.com (cjpilot710(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote]Rico, Sounds lousy to me. Most likely independent and first attempt at recovering by someone in a hurry. There are a number of excellent recovering system out there that are easier to apply than the original cotton process. It does not take much effort to really do a nice job IF one is not in a hurry. Properly recovered controls add a market value to the airplane as well as some aerodynamic property. The newer covering systems last a hell of a lot longer than cotton any day.

As for the trim 1/16th does not sound "bad" to me, after all, she's a 52, not an Extra 300XL. Wink

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: