Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Placement options for CHT probe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Placement options for CHT probe Reply with quote

On 6/7/2018 8:35 PM, John Fitt wrote:

Quote:
Greetings from Sebastopol, CA
Has anybody used a cylinder head bolt ( immediately next to a spark plug) instead of the probe ring 
under the plug? I am currently using the cylinder head bolts, wanting to eliminate the wear and tear
on the probe ring when checking/changing plugs. Seems that the temp. readings are lower- maybe due to the heat lost near a fin?
FSII 503 dcdi 
EIS monitor
CHT runs around 100-120 deg

John Fitt

From the Lycoming world: Washer-based cht probes on the plugs always indicate significantly higher than probes screwed into the heads. The plug is the hottest spot in the cylinder.
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rascaljohn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Placement options for CHT probe Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Any way to save on the wear and tear?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Has anybody used a cylinder head bolt ( immediately next to a spark plug) instead of the probe ring
under the plug? I am currently using the cylinder head bolts, wanting to eliminate the wear and tear
on the probe ring when checking/changing plugs. Seems that the temp. readings are lower- maybe due to the heat lost near a fin?
FSII 503 dcdi
EIS monitor

John Fitt

From the Lycoming world: Washer-based cht probes on the plugs always indicate significantly higher than probes screwed into the heads. The plug is the hottest spot in the cylinder.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Placement options for CHT probe Reply with quote

Your CHT seems very low. Do you have your EIS set for centigrade or Fahrenheit?The most common cause for the disfigurement of spark-plug base rings is over- torque of spark plugs. I was surprised to find out that my engine ( 40hp Hirth 2702 ) only requires 108 inch pounds ( yes, inch pounds) of torque and with the spark-plugs seal ring installed with no anti- sieze compound.
George H.
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 8, 2018, at 12:23 AM, John Fitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net (jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Any way to save on the wear and tear?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
FSII 503 dcdi
EIS monitor

John Fitt

racerjerry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Placement options for CHT probe Reply with quote

Why don't you do a side-by-side test / comparison with the CHT probes in both locations on the same cylinder? A double throw switch temporarily wired in would give you an immediate comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: