Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

For a while now I noticed that after lubricating my KIS4 control surface hinges with LPS2, what looked like dirty watery streaks would appear from all the hinged areas. I thought it was just dirt loosened by the LPS2 and pushed out by the air stream. But during the recently completed Condition Inspection, the A&P I used noticed a dark “powder-like” substance around all the control surface hinges. He indicated it was aluminum powder which is a sign of the hinges slowly wearing out. Since my airplane is 17yrs old and has more than 1,250hrs he recommended I consider replacing the hinges.  I decided this would be done on my next condition inspection and thought nothing of it.

Today, just after departing on a VFR flight from St. Augustine to Ocala, I noticed that applying left rudder had gotten a little hard. Since this was not normal, I aborted the flight and immediately returned to St. Augustine. Once in my hangar I found that the top rudder hinge had come loose, the pin inside the hinge had broken and had somehow fallen out. The rudder was being held in place by the lower hinge and the control rod, neither of which showed any indication of imminent failure. A full inspection of all hinges showed no outward sign of failure to any of them, including the one that just failed. I realized it is difficult, if not impossible to inspect the condition of the pin inside the hinge. I have attached photos of the bottom hinge which shows some of the dark “powder-like” substance.

So if you see a dark “powder-like” substance around your hinges which become dirty watery streaks after lubrication, check the hinges of your control surfaces. Be very thorough with your inspection and replace the hinges if there is any question about their integrity. I am now in the process of replacing all the hinges of my airplane, not just for the rudder but both the ailerons and elevators. Be extra cautious with this since this can easily become a serious safety of flight issue.

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

20180611_144317[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Viewed:  6786 Time(s)

20180611_144317[1].jpg

20180611_182007[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  6786 Time(s)

20180611_182007[1].jpg

craneplanes(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

Great heads up. Thank you Galin.

(I'm in an Aviation Safety course right now.)

-Doug

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 16:07 Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] For a while now I noticed that after lubricating my KIS4 control surface
hinges with LPS2, what looked like dirty watery streaks would appear from
all the hinged areas. I thought it was just dirt loosened by the LPS2 and
pushed out by the air stream. But during the recently completed Condition
Inspection, the A&P I used noticed a dark “powder-like” substance around
all the control surface hinges. He indicated it was aluminum powder which
is a sign of the hinges slowly wearing out. Since my airplane is 17yrs old
and has more than 1,250hrs he recommended I consider replacing the hinges

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

Thanks Galin.

I’ll check my TR 1

Tim

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 4:04 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

For a while now I noticed that after lubricating my KIS4 control surface hinges with LPS2, what looked like dirty watery streaks would appear from all the hinged areas. I thought it was just dirt loosened by the LPS2 and pushed out by the air stream. But during the recently completed Condition Inspection, the A&P I used noticed a dark “powder-like” substance around all the control surface hinges. He indicated it was aluminum powder which is a sign of the hinges slowly wearing out. Since my airplane is 17yrs old and has more than 1,250hrs he recommended I consider replacing the hinges. I decided this would be done on my next condition inspection and thought nothing of it.

Today, just after departing on a VFR flight from St. Augustine to Ocala, I noticed that applying left rudder had gotten a little hard. Since this was not normal, I aborted the flight and immediately returned to St. Augustine. Once in my hangar I found that the top rudder hinge had come loose, the pin inside the hinge had broken and had somehow fallen out. The rudder was being held in place by the lower hinge and the control rod, neither of which showed any indication of imminent failure. A full inspection of all hinges showed no outward sign of failure to any of them, including the one that just failed. I realized it is difficult, if not impossible to inspect the condition of the pin inside the hinge. I have attached photos of the bottom hinge which shows some of the dark “powder-like” substance.

So if you see a dark “powder-like” substance around your hinges which become dirty watery streaks after lubrication, check the hinges of your control surfaces. Be very thorough with your inspection and replace the hinges if there is any question about their integrity. I am now in the process of replacing all the hinges of my airplane, not just for the rudder but both the ailerons and elevators. Be extra cautious with this since this can easily become a serious safety of flight issue.

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Galin,

I remember speaking to Vance and Rich about lubricating the hinges and both saying that it was not necessary which did not seem right to me.

Do you think that the problem could be caused by galvanic reaction between the different metals, I know that on our boat we have a problem with aluminum and stainless in close contact with each other

Glad it all ended well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: June 11, 2018 4:04 PM
Subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

For a while now I noticed that after lubricating my KIS4 control surface hinges with LPS2, what looked like dirty watery streaks would appear from all the hinged areas. I thought it was just dirt loosened by the LPS2 and pushed out by the air stream. But during the recently completed Condition Inspection, the A&P I used noticed a dark “powder-like” substance around all the control surface hinges. He indicated it was aluminum powder which is a sign of the hinges slowly wearing out. Since my airplane is 17yrs old and has more than 1,250hrs he recommended I consider replacing the hinges. I decided this would be done on my next condition inspection and thought nothing of it.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

pastormac62

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

Hi Galin,Thanks for the heads up!! So glad you’re ok!!

To our success, Stephen McIntosh

On Jun 11, 2018, at 7:03 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

<20180611_144317[1].jpg>
<20180611_182007[1].jpg>

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

*"Do you think that the problem could be caused by galvanic reaction
between the different metals, I know that on our boat we have a problem
with aluminum and stainless in close contact with each other."*

Mike - I consider myself fairly good at electronic things but admit I am
poor, at best, with materials so I really don't know. The hinges are
original from before 2001 and I know they are extensively used in certified
airplanes but it could be. I imagine others here, much better qualified
with materials, will provide good input.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com> wrote:

[quote] Thanks for the heads up Galin,

I remember speaking to Vance and Rich about lubricating the hinges and
both saying that it was not necessary which did not seem right to me.

Do you think that the problem could be caused by galvanic reaction between
the different metals, I know that on our boat we have a problem with
aluminum and stainless in close contact with each other

Glad it all ended well

Mike

*From:* owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)
matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Galin Hernandez
*Sent:* June 11, 2018 4:04 PM
*To:* kis-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

For a while now I noticed that after lubricating my KIS4 control surface
hinges with LPS2, what looked like dirty watery streaks would appear from
all the hinged areas. I thought it was just dirt loosened by the LPS2 and
pushed out by the air stream. But during the recently completed Condition
Inspection, the A&P I used noticed a dark “powder-like” substance around
all the control surface hinges. He indicated it was aluminum powder which
is a sign of the hinges slowly wearing out. Since my airplane is 17yrs old
and has more than 1,250hrs he recommended I consider replacing the hinges

fredorosa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

I foresaw the problem of wear on the aluminum hinges and championed the use of stainless steel hinges. I couldn’t find ss hinges of sufficiently tight tolerances so instead used longer lengths of the aluminum ones. My ailerons, elevator, and rudder had full length hinges. The flaps were getting full length (in several pieces for greater flexibility) hinges also. Of course I don’t know how it all worked out since I sold the project before it ever flew.
I would recommend installing new hinges every so many hours of flying time.
Al ROSA

On Jun 11, 2018, at 11:13 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

I remember speaking to Vance and Rich about lubricating the hinges and both saying that it was not necessary which did not seem right to me.

Do you think that the problem could be caused by galvanic reaction between the different metals, I know that on our boat we have a problem with aluminum and stainless in close contact with each other

Glad it all ended well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: KIS-List: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

www.avast.com
[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

I didn’t use full length hinges but I more than doubled the size that was called for and placed the mounting screws at strongest point of the hinge every inch. The screws don’t align but the heads are covered anyway. I just didn’t believe the hinges were robust enough based on plans. I also reinforced the hinge pads with additional fiberglass pads.

On the other hand I am still not finished either.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Alfred Rosa <fredorosa(at)gmail.com (fredorosa(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I foresaw the problem of wear on the aluminum hinges and championed the use of stainless steel hinges. I couldn’t find ss hinges of sufficiently tight tolerances so instead used longer lengths of the aluminum ones. My ailerons, elevator, and rudder had full length hinges. The flaps were getting full length (in several pieces for greater flexibility) hinges also. Of course I don’t know how it all worked out since I sold the project before it ever flew.
Al ROSA

On Jun 11, 2018, at 11:13 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Glad it all ended well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: KIS-List: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

www.avast.com
[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Keith.Miller(at)esa.int

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4 Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up on this one ,

20 odd years ago , my inspector insisted that I fit 3 hinges on the vertical stabalizer just in case this ever happened, i thought it was being over cautious since these are aircraft spec hinges !!, now I know why , and I regret not doing this on all the control surfaces
(See attached file: DSCF0074.jpg)

PLEASE NOTE: the 12 holes in each hinge are not pre machined at the factory, so each hinge could be slightly different in the hole alignment , therefore they need to be drill matched to the same hinge that is being replaced, not difficult but be careful to get them exactly aligned, .

Keith
[img]cid:2__=4EBB0839DFDB95948f9e8a93df938690(at)esa.int[/img]Alfred Rosa ---12/06/2018 13:54:25---I foresaw the problem of wear on the aluminum hinges and championed the use of stainless steel hinge

Date: 12/06/2018 13:54
Subject: Re: KIS-List: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4
Sent by: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com

Al ROSA

Glad it all ended well

Mike

From:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)[mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
    Sent:
    June 11, 2018 4:04 PM
    To:
    kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
    Subject:
    KIS-List: Control Surface Hinge Failure - KIS4

[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Quote:
This message is sent for information and/or discussion purposes only.
It shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment for ESA.
It is intended only for the recipient(s) named above.
It may contain proprietary information and/or protected content.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use, retention or dissemination is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately.
ESA applies appropriate organisational measures to protect personal data.
In case of data privacy queries, please contact the ESA Data Protection Officer (dpo(at)esa.int).

Thank you.

graycol.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  105 Bytes
 Viewed:  6769 Time(s)

graycol.gif

DSCF0074.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  742.12 KB
 Viewed:  6769 Time(s)

DSCF0074.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: