Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pump failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilot623(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Fuel pump failure Reply with quote

Greetings Pulsar drivers,

The mechanical fuel pump failed during my most recent flight, not on the fuel side but on the oil side. I lost oil pressure crossing to downwind at my home airport and was able to pull power and land without incident. Unless you want to call oil all over the engine compartment (especially co-pilot side) and drooling out of the cowl to coat the underbelly an incident. I originally thought it must be a blown oil hose but finding none, finally traced it to the lower weep hole of the fuel pump.

My questions to the group:
  1. Have you ever had or heard of a fuel pump failure of this type?
  2. Is there a recommend non-Rotax replacement part that might be cheaper than the $176 Rotax part?

Jim
N623JF
Rotax 912S

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
kulpa(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Fuel pump failure Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim,
Quite the lucky incident, glad you weren't hurt.

Best Regards, Bill
C: 512-415-2991
On 6/25/2018 12:21 PM, Jim Fillman wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
�
The mechanical fuel pump failed during my most recent flight, not on the fuel side but on the oil side. I lost oil pressure crossing to downwind at my home airport and was able to pull power and land without incident. Unless you want to call oil all over the engine compartment (especially co-pilot side) and drooling out of the cowl to coat the underbelly an incident. I originally thought it must be a blown oil hose but finding none, finally traced it to the lower weep hole of the fuel pump.
�
�
  2. Is there a recommend non-Rotax replacement part that might be cheaper than the $176 Rotax part?

�
Jim
N623JF
Rotax 912S

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

phil(at)ishml.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump failure Reply with quote

Rotax issued a SB a few years back and offered a kit that required shipping back the old pump…I replaced mine at that time for $100. The part number is listed below on the outside chance they’re still in stock somewhere.

[img]cid:image002.png(at)01D40CA5.E610B9E0[/img]

Good luck!

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Fillman
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 4:33 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Fuel pump failure

No, it was original with my engine from 2009 timeframe. Why do you ask?

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Phil Ishmael
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 3:28 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Fuel pump failure

Was it the newer “Corona” style pump?

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01D40CA5.E610B9E0[/img]

Phil

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jim Fillman
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 12:21 PM
To: Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com); pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Fuel pump failure

Jim
N623JF
Rotax 912S

image002.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.84 KB
 Viewed:  3225 Time(s)

image002.png

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.68 KB
 Viewed:  3225 Time(s)

image003.jpg

bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump failure Reply with quote

Jim,
I have a brand new fuel pump - - extra.  Bought when others were having a problem. Never needed it.
I'll look at it this PM for the numbers and let you know exactly what it is.
Stopped flying 390XP after my 85th B'day. I know I can fly just as well as when I was 84, but others - - - - - - 
I pulled the engine out of my Pulsar just this afternoon. The 912 UL is for sale.
My son (( a Delta 777 and RV-6 pilot )) and I are exploring converting the Pulsar to electric. 
We don't know what to hell we are doing, but hey,, it's an experimental, isn't it ? ? ? 
Bernie Wilder

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Jim Fillman <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Jim
N623JF
Rotax 912S

pilot623(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump failure Reply with quote

Bernie,

That would be great if it’s a match. The number stamped on it is 08-002579.

Jim

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Bernard Wilder
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 4:43 PM
To: Pulsar Net <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump failure

Jim,

I have a brand new fuel pump - - extra. Bought when others were having a problem. Never needed it.

I'll look at it this PM for the numbers and let you know exactly what it is.

Stopped flying 390XP after my 85th B'day. I know I can fly just as well as when I was 84, but others - - - - - -

I pulled the engine out of my Pulsar just this afternoon. The 912 UL is for sale.

My son (( a Delta 777 and RV-6 pilot )) and I are exploring converting the Pulsar to electric.

We don't know what to hell we are doing, but hey,, it's an experimental, isn't it ? ? ?

Bernie Wilder

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Jim Fillman <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Jim
N623JF
Rotax 912S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: