Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hello,
I just joined this list.
I am recently retired and my wife will soon be.
We rcently bought a little home and hangar at Hacienda Sur Luna Airpark in deep southern New Mexico. We love it there.
Not yet there full time but in a year or so we will sell our home in Missouri and move out.
I don't have a plane and have been considering what I would like to fly around when we get out there. It's class G airspace.
I got my license in a J-3 a long time ago and most of my flying time is in taildraggers. I just can't bring myself to buy a Cessna 150 or something like that cheap just to get in the air. But good taildraggers seem to command a premium that I can't easily afford.
I think that for tooling around on a beautiful desert morning, an Air Camper would be perfect.
No radio, no hassles, just pure early 20th century flying.
I think I can build all of it and will try to begin with the engine.
Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
Ray Krause

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Bruce,Welcome to the list. I just finished the Skyscout. You should also be on the Facebook Pietenpol forum. That’s where most of the information resides.
Good look, enjoy,
Ray Krause

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 13, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net (clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Hello,
I just joined this list.
We rcently bought a little home and hangar at Hacienda Sur Luna Airpark in deep southern New Mexico. We love it there.
Not yet there full time but in a year or so we will sell our home in Missouri and move out.
I don't have a plane and have been considering what I would like to fly around when we get out there. It's class G airspace.
I got my license in a J-3 a long time ago and most of my flying time is in taildraggers. I just can't bring myself to buy a Cessna 150 or something like that cheap just to get in the air. But good taildraggers seem to command a premium that I can't easily afford.
I think that for tooling around on a beautiful desert morning, an Air Camper would be perfect.
Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

=================================== >http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Thank you, Ray. Yes, I have just sent my request to join. Congrats on just finishing the Skyscout! Have you flown it yet?
Was it your first build?
I appreciate your welcome.
Best,
Bruce

To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: New member

Bruce,Welcome to the list. I just finished the Skyscout. You should also be on the Facebook Pietenpol forum. That’s where most of the information resides.
Good look, enjoy,
Ray KrauseSent from my iPad
On Jun 13, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net (clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Hello,
I just joined this list.
Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

========== >http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List ========== cs.com ========== om ========== matronics.com/contribution ==========

jboatri(at)emory.edu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

Welcome! The Piet certainly will be great for tooling around on a beautiful desert morning. As to how to get there, a lot depends on your goals. Do you want to fly right now, build, or both? In retirement, you may have the time to fly in the mornings and evenings and build during the heat of the day. Or take a nap (my speed). Given what I see on Barnstormers these days, you may find that you can afford something to fly right now while you build a “dream machine.” Lots of solutions for both airframe and engine.

There are certainly many Corvair-powered Piets. They fly well and are smooth! I started down the Corvair route, but ended up buying a flying Piet with a Continental so that I could get into the air quicker. I guess that’s another consideration. I’ve been in an EAA chapter since the mid-80s. Back then I was the youngest member. Everybody talked about building and flying, and some did. But an awful lot of people never got around to finishing their projects and never got much flying in. A lot of those guys are gone now. Not that you’re asking for life advice, but none of us know how long we have. William Wynne, the Corvair Authority, used to say that we’re all just one medical away from being grounded. That’s somewhat less true now with Sport Pilot and new medical certification rules, but in general, it’s true that we never know how long we have. Oddly enough, it was his “one medical away from being grounded” statement he made at our Chapter monthly meeting that spurred my decision to sell my Corvair project and buy a flying Pietenpol. I’m glad I did as I got a lot of hours in the air that I’d have never flown if I was still tinkering around on that engine. It led directly to my buying a Pitts when the opportunity came along, again based on the mantra of you never know how long you have left.

Hope to see you flying someday soon!

Jeff

--

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD, FARVO
Professor of Ophthalmology
Emory University School of Medicine
Core Director & Research Biologist
Atlanta VAMC Center for Visual & Neurocognitive Rehabilitation

From: <owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net>
Reply-To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM
To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Pietenpol-List: New member

Hello,

I just joined this list.

Corvair?

Any counter opinions?

I am ready to learn.

Best,

Bruce

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly
prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the
original message (including attachments).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Jeff, thank you for your thoughtful welcome.
Take a nap! Yes, my speed too!!!

Your main question as to whether I want to fly right now or later would be answered by yes! LOL
But no, I am ready to wait. My dear wife is a ceramics artist and teaches at out local Community College and when she retires she will need a portion of the hangar for her clay stuff. I will make sure that that happens before I worry about my going aloft. But meanwhile I can still do my homework! Smile
So I think my approach will be to figure out how to nail down an engine, and then work on an airframe.
I very much appreciate your point about all of us being one medical away from grounded. I take that point strongly for the reason that Cathy (my wife) and I were involved in a bad traffic accident just three weeks ago where a man t-boned our Subaru after running a stop sign at 40 MPH. We were rolled and slid upside down 100 feet before stopping. It was at 7:00 AM on Glenstone Ave in Springfield on a weekday. We are thankful that it wasn't 8:00 AM because we were in the oncoming lanes when we stopped. Had there been more traffic it probably would have come out much worse.
In any case we were able to walk away and are OK.
So I've been thinking a lot recently about my mortality. But we have many friends at our happy place in NM who fly and will take me whenever I want. So I am OK with waiting and dreaming of creating the best plane for Cathy and me into our retirement.
I very much look forward to learning and sharing with you and others on this list as I go forward with this dream. Thank you for the advice. I will always welcome more.
Best,
Bruce

To: Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:39 PM

#yiv6380344625 #yiv6380344625 -- _filtered #yiv6380344625 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {panose-1:2 0 5 3 0 0 0 2 0 4;} #yiv6380344625 #yiv6380344625 p.yiv6380344625MsoNormal, #yiv6380344625 li.yiv6380344625MsoNormal, #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;} #yiv6380344625 a:link, #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv6380344625 a:visited, #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv6380344625 p.yiv6380344625msonormal0, #yiv6380344625 li.yiv6380344625msonormal0, #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625msonormal0 {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;} #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625EmailStyle18 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;} #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625apple-converted-space {} #yiv6380344625 .yiv6380344625MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625WordSection1 {} #yiv6380344625 Hi Bruce,

Welcome! The Piet certainly will be great for tooling around on a beautiful desert morning. As to how to get there, a lot depends on your goals. Do you want to fly right now, build, or both? In retirement, you may have the time to fly in the mornings and evenings and build during the heat of the day. Or take a nap (my speed). Given what I see on Barnstormers these days, you may find that you can afford something to fly right now while you build a “dream machine.” Lots of solutions for both airframe and engine.

There are certainly many Corvair-powered Piets. They fly well and are smooth! I started down the Corvair route, but ended up buying a flying Piet with a Continental so that I could get into the air quicker. I guess that’s another consideration. I’ve been in an EAA chapter since the mid-80s. Back then I was the youngest member. Everybody talked about building and flying, and some did. But an awful lot of people never got around to finishing their projects and never got much flying in. A lot of those guys are gone now. Not that you’re asking for life advice, but none of us know how long we have. William Wynne, the Corvair Authority, used to say that we’re all just one medical away from being grounded. That’s somewhat less true now with Sport Pilot and new medical certification rules, but in general, it’s true that we never know how long we have. Oddly enough, it was his “one medical away from being grounded” statement he made at our Chapter monthly meeting that spurred my decision to sell my Corvair project and buy a flying Pietenpol. I’m glad I did as I got a lot of hours in the air that I’d have never flown if I was still tinkering around on that engine. It led directly to my buying a Pitts when the opportunity came along, again based on the mantra of you never know how long you have left.

Jeff

--

From: <owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> Reply-To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: New member

Hello,

I just joined this list.

Corvair?

Any counter opinions?

I am ready to learn.

Best,

Bruce

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).

boyerjrb(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Certified airplanes will cost much in terms of annual inspections and just general maintenance. My 172 cost me $6700 in annuals and relatively minor changes; ie. generator to alternator in the last three years. Here in CA hangar rents are high, gas 100LL is high and maintenance rates are high. I would never go certified again, experimental is the way to go, as you can get repairmans certificate for the airplane you have built. My biases! Jim
Quote:
On June 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hello,I just joined this list.I am recently retired and my wife will soon be.We rcently bought a little home and hangar at Hacienda Sur Luna Airpark in deep southern New Mexico. We love it there.
Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Bruce
I would like to address two of the issues that you brought up the first one being the Corvair engine. Although there are many of them flying and Mr. William win has done an awful lot of research, There does seem to be some reliability issues whether this is using worn out parts that have not been properly rebuilt or improper building technique who’s to say the other issue I have with corvairs is the cost involved in building one correctly. For the seven to $10,000 that you’re going to have in the building one you can get a nice Mid time firewall forward O 200 Continental.
The next issue I’d like to deal with would be glue or nail or both regarding rib to spar connections I have the good fortune of my job being to keep 80-year-old bi planes flying😃 part of my job is building wings for these old girls fabric covering and paint. We always do both. If you by chance have the misfortune of an upset that causes rib damage, chances are that you will strip the wing of its covering for a thorough inspection of the wing. If one or more ribs need to be replaced you can build them in three sections one section being between spar and the leading edge One between spars And one between the Spar and trailing edge.
One of the beautiful things about experimental aviation is that there are always more than just one way to do something again welcome aboard get to cuttin an gluin!!

On Jun 13, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net (clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Jeff, thank you for your thoughtful welcome.
Take a nap! Yes, my speed too!!!

Your main question as to whether I want to fly right now or later would be answered by yes! LOL
But no, I am ready to wait. My dear wife is a ceramics artist and teaches at out local Community College and when she retires she will need a portion of the hangar for her clay stuff. I will make sure that that happens before I worry about my going aloft. But meanwhile I can still do my homework! Smile
So I think my approach will be to figure out how to nail down an engine, and then work on an airframe.
I very much appreciate your point about all of us being one medical away from grounded. I take that point strongly for the reason that Cathy (my wife) and I were involved in a bad traffic accident just three weeks ago where a man t-boned our Subaru after running a stop sign at 40 MPH. We were rolled and slid upside down 100 feet before stopping. It was at 7:00 AM on Glenstone Ave in Springfield on a weekday. We are thankful that it wasn't 8:00 AM because we were in the oncoming lanes when we stopped. Had there been more traffic it probably would have come out much worse.
In any case we were able to walk away and are OK.
So I've been thinking a lot recently about my mortality. But we have many friends at our happy place in NM who fly and will take me whenever I want. So I am OK with waiting and dreaming of creating the best plane for Cathy and me into our retirement.
I very much look forward to learning and sharing with you and others on this list as I go forward with this dream. Thank you for the advice. I will always welcome more.
Best,
Bruce

From: "Boatright, Jeffrey" <jboatri(at)emory.edu (jboatri(at)emory.edu)>
To: Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net (clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net)>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:39 PM

#yiv6380344625 #yiv6380344625 -- _filtered #yiv6380344625 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {panose-1:2 0 5 3 0 0 0 2 0 4;} #yiv6380344625 #yiv6380344625 p.yiv6380344625MsoNormal, #yiv6380344625 li.yiv6380344625MsoNormal, #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;} #yiv6380344625 a:link, #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv6380344625 a:visited, #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv6380344625 p.yiv6380344625msonormal0, #yiv6380344625 li.yiv6380344625msonormal0, #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625msonormal0 {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;} #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625EmailStyle18 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;} #yiv6380344625 span.yiv6380344625apple-converted-space {} #yiv6380344625 .yiv6380344625MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv6380344625 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} #yiv6380344625 div.yiv6380344625WordSection1 {} #yiv6380344625 Hi Bruce,

Jeff

--

From: <owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net (clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net)> Reply-To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)> Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com (pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com)> Subject: New member

Hello,

I just joined this list.

Corvair?

Any counter opinions?

I am ready to learn.

Best,

Bruce

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Jim,
yes, thanks. So glad I'm no longer in CA. And yes, mine will be Experimental. Best wishes for your continued flying in the State of California. Or for anything else you wish to do there under Gov. Brown.

Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New member

Certified airplanes will cost much in terms of annual inspections and just general maintenance. My 172 cost me $6700 in annuals and relatively minor changes; ie. generator to alternator in the last three years. Here in CA hangar rents are high, gas 100LL is high and maintenance rates are high. I would never go certified again, experimental is the way to go, as you can get repairmans certificate for the airplane you have built. My biases! Jim
Quote:
On June 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hello,I just joined this list.I am recently retired and my wife will soon be.We rcently bought a little home and hangar at Hacienda Sur Luna Airpark in deep southern New Mexico. We love it there.
Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

jarheadpilot82

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Bruce,

First of all. welcome to the Forum. This is a good spot to go to for information and assistance in your build. I wish you the best as you embark on this journey.

I would be remiss if I did not take the time to respond to Glen's comments about Corvair engines and their value as an option for your choice of powerplant. I think that Glen is doing you a disservice in giving his opinion on Corvairs. Bernard Pietenpol, the designer of this wonderful airplane, used many different engines in the various Air Campers that he built over five decades. What was the last engine that he chose to use? Yes, Bruce, you guessed correctly - a Corvair. When you go to Brodhead (and I encourage you to do so), take a look at what powers "The Last Original", Bernard Pietenpol's last Air Camper that he built. A Corvair. I find it interesting that some builders love the man and revere his choices in the aircraft design but gloss over his choice of powerplant.

Bruce makes reliability a reason for not using a Corvair. I would suggest that instead of accepting an online opinion from some one you have not met, who may or may not have any experience with the Corvair engine, that you contact Dan Weseman, the designer of the Panther, a great kit aircraft (https://flywithspa.com/). The Panther design is very successful, fast, aerobatic, and a great airplane. Of all the engines that he could have chosen, what was the initial engine that Dan chose for the rollout of the Panther? Yes, Bruce, a Corvair. If the Corvair engine has such a problem with reliability, why would Dan choose such an engine?

Glen also makes the cost of the engine to be another reason for not choosing the Corvair engine. I have made the choice to use a Corvair for many reasons. Probably the reason at the bottom of the list was the cost of the engine. People who are drawn to the Corvair are not drawn by cost, but rather by a thirst for knowledge. For the same reason that you desire to build an airplane with your own hands, the same motivation is what draws people to the Corvair. After having built the engine, you will know that engine as well as anyone, can work on it with confidence, and fly behind it knowing who built that engine. Who rebuilt that Continental? You don't, in all likelihood, know him or her, so you do not know how good a mechanic they are (or how bad, for that matter).

Here is my take on your choices. Do your homework. Don't just listen to Glen, or to me. Go to FlyCorvair.com and FlyCorvair.net and read all that you can on the subject of Corvair engines. Contact William Wynne and ask him about Corvair engines. He freely posts his cell phone number on his website. Go to other websites and learn as much as you can on the other engine choices, and then make an informed decision based upon what you feel is best for you. If you do decide to build a Corvair powered Air Camper, I encourage you to go to the Pietvair Forum at http://pietvair.freeforums.net/ and join. It is a website exclusively for builders and flyers of the Pietenpol/Corvair combination. It is a great group of people and I encourage you to use that as a great source of knowledge, assistance, and encouragement. I am the moderator of that forum, and I encourage you to use it as one of your tools as you build.

Again, welcome to the Forum, and keep us posted as you move forward.

Terry Hand
Athens, GA
jarheadpilot82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Bruce,

As you may have figured out, I am passionate about the use of the corvair engine on the Pietenpol Air Camper. Two other points I thought that I would add -

1. References to using worn out parts is disingenuous on Glen's part, but for those builders concerned about the strength of the crankshaft, Dan Weseman offers a brand-new billet crank.

https://flywithspa.com/product/corvairbilletcrank/

2. You may hear references and read about Corvair Colleges held by William Wynne throughout the year. If you are considering using a Corvair engine, I would highly encourage you to attend a Corvair College. For the price of some gas money, and a hotel, and in some cases a small fee to the host for meals and support, you can be around Corvair engines. You can poke, prod, ask, even get your hands dirty helping another builder. It will be your best opportunity to get your corvair questions answered by William and others, and you can avoid internet experts who act like they know a great deal, but really know very little about the topic of Corvairs other than what they have read on the internet.

To feed your interest in Corvairs, here are links to two videos about past Corvair Colleges. Coincidentally, the EAA must think enough of the quality of Corvair engines that they took the time to film the first of these videos. I think that that says a lot for the viability of the Corvair engine in experimental aviation.

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/3971877626001/corvair-college-full-version?autoStart=true&q=corvair%20College

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDfX78pa6ug&feature=youtu.be

Terry Hand
Athens, GA
kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the list. I guess you could say I’m a ‘lapsed’ member, and that’s mainly why I’m posting. I started a Piet project with high hopes over 16 years ago (been on this list since about 1998, I think) by purchasing a project from someone else. I also acquired a nice Corvair in good condition, and helped my EAA Chapter organize Corvair College #7, where I got it torn down and ready to start building back up. I also acquired a number of other items necessary to completing the project - additional wood, instruments, wheels, etc. All that said, I’ve done nothing on the project in nearly 8 years, and have decided to put it up for sale. I’m not trying to sell it to you, I’m offering some cautionary advice. Be sure that building is what you want to do, that it is a goal in itself, and that you will be able to maintain the enthusiasm for it through the whole project. If what you mainly want to do is fly, a very complete ‘kit’ of parts and assemblies, such as now sits in my shop, is of no value to you. In my case, it became an issue of time and priorities - I just saw my daughter graduate from HS, and being an active part of her life for 12 years was a priority (and neither she nor my wife have any interest in aviation, in fact, my wife is terrified of flying). Secondly, 7 years ago, at the age of 54, I had to make a major career change AND bought a farm, the development of which has been my major ‘project’ since then. I’d still love to fly, but I’ve realized that a project as involved as a Piet is not the vehicle to that goal.

So, since we’re all giving advice to the ‘newbie’, that’s mine. This site, particularly it’s archive, is a wealth of information any builder can use to advantage. Changes in technology have made it less active than in the past, it’s heyday was in the early 2000’s, and although I’m not sure that’s a good thing (I don’t think the FaceBook Group is as useful as a builder’s resource), it’s what we have now.

So, welcome from someone who now mainly ‘lurks’ in the background, hopefully you will find this useful.

Regards,

Kip Gardner

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2018, at 10:17 PM, jarheadpilot82 <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Bruce,

First of all. welcome to the Forum. This is a good spot to go to for information and assistance in your build. I wish you the best as you embark on this journey.

I would be remiss if I did not take the time to respond to Glen's comments about Corvair engines and their value as an option for your choice of powerplant. I think that Glen is doing you a disservice in giving his opinion on Corvairs. Bernard Pietenpol, the designer of this wonderful airplane, used many different engines in the various Air Campers that he built over five decades. What was the last engine that he chose to use? Yes, Bruce, you guessed correctly - a Corvair. When you go to Brodhead (and I encourage you to do so), take a look at what powers "The Last Original", Bernard Pietenpol's last Air Camper that he built. A Corvair. I find it interesting that some builders love the man and revere his choices in the aircraft design but gloss over his choice of powerplant.

Bruce makes reliability a reason for not using a Corvair. I would suggest that instead of accepting an online opinion from some one you have not met, who may or may not have any experience with the Corvair engine, that you contact Dan Weseman, the designer of the Panther, a great kit aircraft (https://flywithspa.com/). The Panther design is very successful, fast, aerobatic, and a great airplane. Of all the engines that he could have chosen, what was the initial engine that Dan chose for the rollout of the Panther? Yes, Bruce, a Corvair. If the Corvair engine has such a problem with reliability, why would Dan choose such an engine?

Glen also makes the cost of the engine to be another reason for not choosing the Corvair engine. I have made the choice to use a Corvair for many reasons. Probably the reason at the bottom of the list was the cost of the engine. People who are drawn to the Corvair are not drawn by cost, but rather by a thirst for knowledge. For the same reason that you desire to build an airplane with your own hands, the same motivation is what draws people to the Corvair. After having built the engine, you will know that engine as well as anyone, can work on it with confidence, and fly behind it knowing who built that engine. Who rebuilt that Continental? You don't, in all likelihood, know him or her, so you do not know how good a mechanic they are (or how bad, for that matter).

Here is my take on your choices. Do your homework. Don't just listen to Glen, or to me. Go to FlyCorvair.com and FlyCorvair.net and read all that you can on the subject of Corvair engines. Contact William Wynne and ask him about Corvair engines. He freely posts his cell phone number on his website. Go to other websites and learn as much as you can on the other engine choices, and then make an informed decision based upon what you feel is best for you. If you do decide to build a Corvair powered Air Camper, I encourage you to go to the Pietvair Forum at http://pietvair.freeforums.net/ and join. It is a website exclusively for builders and flyers of the Pietenpol/Corvair combination. It is a great group of people and I encourage you to use that as a great source of knowledge, assistance, and encouragement. I am the moderator of that forum, an I encourage you to use it as one of your tools as you build.

--------
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480872#480872

steven.d.dortch(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Bruce, here is some free advice, and worth every penny. Go to www.pietenpols.org and join. Find westcostpiet.com, as well as the several Facebook pages. 
Blue Skies,
Steve Dortch
On Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 9:51 AM Kip Gardner <kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com (kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: Kip Gardner <kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com (kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com)>

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the list.  I guess you could say I’m a ‘lapsed’ member, and that’s mainly why I’m posting.  I started a Piet project with high hopes over 16 years ago (been on this list since about 1998, I think) by purchasing a project from someone else.  I also acquired a nice Corvair in good condition, and helped my EAA Chapter organize Corvair College #7, where I got it torn down and ready to start building back up.  I also acquired a number of other items necessary to completing the project - additional wood, instruments, wheels, etc.  All that said, I’ve done nothing on the project in nearly 8 years, and have decided to put it up for sale.  I’m not trying to sell it to you, I’m offering some cautionary advice.  Be sure that building is what you want to do, that it is a goal in itself, and that you will be able to maintain the enthusiasm for it through the whole project.  If what you mainly want to do is fly, a very complete ‘kit’ of parts and assemblies,!
  such as now sits in my shop, is of no value to you.  In my case, it became an issue of time and priorities - I just saw my daughter graduate from HS, and being an active part of her life for 12 years was a priority (and neither she nor my wife have any interest in aviation, in fact, my wife is terrified of flying).  Secondly, 7 years ago, at the age of 54, I had to make a major career change AND bought a farm, the development of which has been my major ‘project’ since then.  I’d still love to fly, but I’ve realized that a project as involved as a Piet is not the vehicle to that goal.

So, since we’re all giving advice to the ‘newbie’, that’s mine. This site, particularly it’s archive, is a wealth of information any builder can use to advantage.  Changes in technology have made it less active than in the past, it’s heyday was in the early 2000’s, and although I’m not sure that’s a good thing (I don’t think the FaceBook Group is as useful as a builder’s resource), it’s what we have now.

So, welcome from someone who now mainly ‘lurks’ in the background, hopefully you will find this useful.

Regards,

Kip Gardner

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 10:17 PM, jarheadpilot82 <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
>
> --> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "jarheadpilot82" <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)>
>
> Bruce,
>
> First of all. welcome to the Forum. This is a good spot to go to for information and assistance in your build. I wish you the best as you embark on this journey.
>
> I would be remiss if I did not take the time to respond to Glen's comments about Corvair engines and their value as an option for your choice of powerplant. I think that Glen is doing you a disservice in giving his opinion on Corvairs. Bernard Pietenpol, the designer of this wonderful airplane, used many different engines in the various Air Campers that he built over five decades. What was the last engine that he chose to use? Yes, Bruce, you guessed correctly - a Corvair. When you go to Brodhead (and I encourage you to do so), take a look at what powers "The Last Original", Bernard Pietenpol's last Air Camper that he built. A Corvair. I find it interesting that some builders love the man and revere his choices in the aircraft design but gloss over his choice of powerplant.
>
> Bruce makes reliability a reason for not using a Corvair. I would suggest that instead of accepting an online opinion from some one you have not met, who may or may not have any experience with the Corvair engine, that you contact Dan Weseman, the designer of the Panther, a great kit aircraft (https://flywithspa.com/). The Panther design is very successful,  fast, aerobatic, and a great airplane. Of all the engines that he could have chosen, what was the initial engine that Dan chose for the rollout of the Panther? Yes, Bruce, a Corvair. If the Corvair engine has such a problem with reliability, why would Dan choose such an engine?
>
> Glen also makes the cost of the engine to be another reason for not choosing the Corvair engine. I have made the choice to use a Corvair for many reasons. Probably the reason at the bottom of the list was the cost of the engine. People who are drawn to the Corvair are not drawn by cost, but rather by a thirst for knowledge. For the same reason that you desire to build an airplane with your own hands, the same motivation is what draws people to the Corvair. After having built the engine, you will know that engine as well as anyone, can work on it with confidence, and fly behind it knowing who built that engine. Who rebuilt that Continental? You don't, in all likelihood, know him or her, so you do not know how good a mechanic they are (or how bad, for that matter).
>
> Here is my take on your choices. Do your homework. Don't just listen to Glen, or to me. Go to FlyCorvair.com and FlyCorvair.net and read all that you can on the subject of Corvair engines. Contact William Wynne and ask him about Corvair engines. He freely posts his cell phone number on his website. Go to other websites and learn as much as you can on the other engine choices, and then make an informed decision based upon what you feel is best for you. If you do decide to build a Corvair powered Air Camper, I encourage you to go to the Pietvair Forum at http://pietvair.freeforums.net/ and join. It is a website exclusively for builders and flyers of the Pietenpol/Corvair combination. It is a great group of people and I encourage you to use that as a great source of knowledge, assistance, and encouragement. I am the moderator of that forum, an I encourage you to use it as one of your tools as you build.
>
> Again, welcome to the Forum, and keep us posted as you move forward.
>
> --------
> Semper Fi,
>
> Terry Hand
> Athens, GA
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480872#480872
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
br> enpol-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Kip,
kudos to you for keeping your priorities right!
Your introspection is the sign of a wise man.
I appreciate what you say and take it well.
Yes, I agree this will likely be a long project fraught with many opportunities for discouragement. However,
I believe I am in in a relatively good position to do this-
It's just me and my wife and she is supportive. Once we move to our Happy Place in NM, I will have no other commitments. We have a home on an airport with a really cool flying community and several friends and neighbors who have a wealth of building and flying experience.
And I am an inveterate builder.
I see no issues with the airframe, but I am a bit intimidated by the learning curve ahead of me with regard to acquiring and building a good motor.
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. And best wishes to you for your farm and (let me put on my hat as a community college instructor) to your daughter as she takes her next steps into adulthood! Congratulations!
Bruce

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: Re: New member

--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: Kip Gardner <kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com (kipgohio1957(at)gmail.com)>

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the list. I guess you could say I’m a ‘lapsed’ member, and that’s mainly why I’m posting. I started a Piet project with high hopes over 16 years ago (been on this list since about 1998, I think) by purchasing a project from someone else. I also acquired a nice Corvair in good condition, and helped my EAA Chapter organize Corvair College #7, where I got it torn down and ready to start building back up. I also acquired a number of other items necessary to completing the project - additional wood, instruments, wheels, etc. All that said, I’ve done nothing on the project in nearly 8 years, and have decided to put it up for sale. I’m not trying to sell it to you, I’m offering some cautionary advice. Be sure that building is what you want to do, that it is a goal in itself, and that you will be able to maintain the enthusiasm for it through the whole project. If what you mainly want to do is fly, a very complete ‘kit’ of parts and assemblies,!

such as now sits in my shop, is of no value to you. In my case, it became an issue of time and priorities - I just saw my daughter graduate from HS, and being an active part of her life for 12 years was a priority (and neither she nor my wife have any interest in aviation, in fact, my wife is terrified of flying). Secondly, 7 years ago, at the age of 54, I had to make a major career change AND bought a farm, the development of which has been my major ‘project’ since then. I’d still love to fly, but I’ve realized that a project as involved as a Piet is not the vehicle to that goal.

So, since we’re all giving advice to the ‘newbie’, that’s mine. This site, particularly it’s archive, is a wealth of information any builder can use to advantage. Changes in technology have made it less active than in the past, it’s heyday was in the early 2000’s, and although I’m not sure that’s a good thing (I don’t think the FaceBook Group is as useful as a builder’s resource), it’s what we have now.

Regards,

Kip Gardner

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2018, at 10:17 PM, jarheadpilot82 <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "jarheadpilot82" <jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com (jarheadpilot82(at)hotmail.com)>

Quote:

Quote:
Bruce,

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Here is my take on your choices. Do your homework. Don't just listen to Glen, or to me. Go to FlyCorvair.com and FlyCorvair.net and read all that you can on the subject of Corvair engines. Contact William Wynne and ask him about Corvair engines. He freely posts his cell phone number on his website. Go to other websites and learn as much as you can on the other engine choices, and then make an informed decision based upon what you feel is best for you. If you do decide to build a Corvair powered Air Camper, I encourage you to go to the Pietvair Forum at http://pietvair.freeforums.net/ and join. It is a website exclusively for builders and flyers of the Pietenpol/Corvair combination. It is a great group of people and I encourage you to use that as a great source of knowledge, assistance, and encouragement. I am the moderator of that forum, an I encourage you to use it as one of your tools as you build.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
--------

Quote:
Semper Fi,

Quote:

Quote:
Terry Hand

Quote:
Athens, GA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Read this topic online here:

Quote:

Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=480872#480872

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://=====================

http://forums.matronics.com

http://wiki.matro========================

simmor2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hello,

Welcome!

If you enjoy building and working with wood, you will enjoy this as a project.

This is my second plane to build. The first was a Zenith 601XL using the Jabiru engine.

I have a face book page that I place images on occasionally. Feel free to take a peak. I’m nobody special and probably do things differently. Your welcome to take a look and or follow.

For engines I too have choose the corvair.

I love the sound of the Ford 4cyl and the small continentals. However as you read, on the high density altitude days, the low HP engines struggle. I would rather have the extra horsepower.

Engine choice as well as any aspect of the build belongs to you. Build what you want how you want using the wisdom of proper methods spelled out in the AC-43-13. It will always be yours even after it’s sold. It will still carry your name.

I called my 1st plane my dream catcher. And that it is! It was a dream and now I’m flying it.

The piet is another project because I enjoy building.

Build what you want and how you want.
And don’t for get, one bit at a time.

Eventually you will get there.

Regards,
- Rich

boyerjrb(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

HI Bruce, good luck with the experimental whatever you choose. I am in process of building a Pietenpol with a Corvair engine. I flew a Corbin Baby Ace for a couple of weeks and enjoyed it so much I decided to build the Piet even though I used to have to bribe my daughters to go flying with me.Cheers, Jim

Quote:
On June 13, 2018 at 4:10 PM Bruce Clemens <clemensfam3(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Jim, yes, thanks. So glad I'm no longer in CA. And yes, mine will be Experimental. Best wishes for your continued flying in the State of California. Or for anything else you wish to do there under Gov. Brown.

Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New member

Quote:

Corvair?
Any counter opinions?
I am ready to learn.
Best,
Bruce

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

One of the beautiful things about experimental aviation is that there are always more than just one way to do something again welcome aboard get to cuttin an gluin!!

Yes! Thank you Glen. That's one of the great things about the Pietenpol...it can be built to suit.

I appreciate your viewpoint and input!
Bruce

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

simmor2 wrote:
Hello,

Welcome!

If you enjoy building and working with wood, you will enjoy this as a project.

Hi, Rich,
Yes I do very much.

This is my second plane to build. The first was a Zenith 601XL using the Jabiru engine.

I have a face book page that I place images on occasionally. Feel free to take a peak. I’m nobody special and probably do things differently. Your welcome to take a look and or follow.

Sure will. Thank you.

For engines I too have choose the corvair.

I love the sound of the Ford 4cyl and the small continentals. However as you read, on the high density altitude days, the low HP engines struggle. I would rather have the extra horsepower.

Our runway is over 4000 foot elevation in the Chihuahuan desert. Density altitude can be an issue!

Engine choice as well as any aspect of the build belongs to you. Build what you want how you want using the wisdom of proper methods spelled out in the AC-43-13. It will always be yours even after it’s sold. It will still carry your name.

I called my 1st plane my dream catcher. And that it is! It was a dream and now I’m flying it.

A dream come true. Congrats!

The piet is another project because I enjoy building.

Build what you want and how you want.
And don’t for get, one bit at a time.

Yes, eating the elephant! LOL

Eventually you will get there.

Regards,
- Rich

Thank you, Rich! Best wishes ,
Bruce

braywood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Hi Bruce - Welcome to the Pietenpol! I am still a builder and a frustrated pilot. If you do chose to build, it has to be the journey you enjoy, not only the destination.
I think you will find the engine no more daunting than any of the other aspects of the build; it is just one more thing to learn, or learn more about.
Sounds like you have the perfect plan - living on an airport and flying when you like, while building your dream. Go for it!

Mark Bowler
Northern Ireland

BruceClemens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Thank you, Mark. I very much appreciate your encouragement and words of wisdom.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: