Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Empennage wire routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Empennage wire routing Reply with quote

Hello to all. It's been awhile I don't post anything in the forum but here I go.

I am making great progress and getting ready to put the fuselage top on. My question today is regarding the best routing for the cables I have in the empennage before I put the top on.

I only plan to have the trim cable, one antenna coax and I will throw in a cable for a tail light just in case I don't use full wingtip position lights. I am on a quest to keep this airplane as light and simple as possible so trying to minimize the "stuff" I put in it.

I understand the bit about the antenna being on the port side and the rest in the opposite side. But what is best: to tie the wires to the sides (3 and 9 o'clock) or toward the bottom corners (4-5 and 7-8 o'clock)? I assume the best routing of these cables will eventually be trough one of the top corners of the tunnel (mono) so how do you transition from the empennage routing to the tunnel hole (all the way up to the CM or further back at the baggage bulkhead)?. Since the baggage bulkhead and its floor is not yet installed it's kind of hard to figure what the best routing is at this point.

Maybe someone can point me to some pictures to get a good idea of what to do here. I will of course be searching the forum during lunch.

Thanks,
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
dpark748(at)me.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Empennage wire routing Reply with quote

I put a channel both sides of lower half continued under door frame into instrument panel module.

Dave Park
Quote:
On 25 Jul 2018, at 15:30, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello to all. It's been awhile I don't post anything in the forum but here I go.

I am making great progress and getting ready to put the fuselage top on. My question today is regarding the best routing for the cables I have in the empennage before I put the top on.

I only plan to have the trim cable, one antenna coax and I will throw in a cable for a tail light just in case I don't use full wingtip position lights. I am on a quest to keep this airplane as light and simple as possible so trying to minimize the "stuff" I put in it.

I understand the bit about the antenna being on the port side and the rest in the opposite side. But what is best: to tie the wires to the sides (3 and 9 o'clock) or toward the bottom corners (4-5 and 7-8 o'clock)? I assume the best routing of these cables will eventually be trough one of the top corners of the tunnel (mono) so how do you transition from the empennage routing to the tunnel hole (all the way up to the CM or further back at the baggage bulkhead)?. Since the baggage bulkhead and its floor is not yet installed it's kind of hard to figure what the best routing is at this point.

Maybe someone can point me to some pictures to get a good idea of what to do here. I will of course be searching the forum during lunch.

Thanks,
Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=481843#481843

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pete(at)lawless.info

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Empennage wire routing Reply with quote

Hi Chris

All my wiring runs either side just below the fuselage joins and then
under the door sills. Goes straight into the back of the panel that way
with out having to come back in from the outside.

What about the transponder?

Pete

G-RMAC Classic #109
On 25/07/18 15:30, n7188u wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=481843#481843

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Empennage wire routing Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies. You can see how wrong I had it, never thought of the space under the door sill. Is that mentioned anywhere in the manuals and I missed it?

Regarding transponder antenna, I figure I can place it when I install avionics later in the build. So no need to worry about it now.

Regarding transponder antenna, I guess I can start a debate regarding that. If you are asking me about it now so that it is installed internally before the top goes on I will tell you my experience: I currently own a LongEZ and had a lot of trouble with internally mounted transponder antennas. I then met a very wise RF Engineer who also happened to own a Long EZ and he showed me what happens when you place a transponder antenna inside a composite fuselage (using a nifty, and expensive, analyzer). Conclusion: my antenna now goes outside (spam can style) with a super thin foil, small round ground plane spray bonded to the outside of the airplane (and a little paint to make it look good). Takes 10 minutes to do and it works extremely well.

Maybe with newer digital transponders you can do OK with poor antenna setups but with older tuned circuit ones (like I have in my EZ) it can be problematic. I know that different people had different experiences but until I changed the antenna setup in my EZ I always had problems with ATC seeing me in my local area and also with the periodic inspections (drifted frequencies). Anyway, I just like the simplicity of the externally mounted transponder antenna.

Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: