Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Selector Valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

Never used it. Threw it out right away.  Bought one from Britain.
I am pulling all stuff related to Rotax out of my Pulsar getting ready to electrify it.  Selector valve still in.  I'll look at it this PM. 
Let you know.
Bernie Wilder
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com (saafbusiness(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
All,

I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994.  It works but always seems to bind up some over time and I want to upgrade/replace it
What has been the groups experience with that part? . Any suggestions?
Seems like Aircraft Spruce has them form $7 - $1000.....Pretty wide range Smile
Thanks

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
FoesFlyDennis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

Bernie you just got my attention in a big way!Anything you would share regarding your conversion to electric powerplant would be excitedly appreciated! Online research resources, component sources, pictures or technical drawings, diagrams or technical workup sheets specific to your own project, etc. Sorry... I don't mean to put pressure on you here but that is a potentially very exciting project. I have never been thrilled with the Jabiru 2200 in my P3 and continually watch other engine manufacturers for potential swap but each option has glaring compromises. 
If you don't have time or energy to put anything together to share, I understand that too. We all are busy. But I sure hope you find very desirable results for your efforts and we all get to see it flying and serving you well.
Dennis Tubbs - Pulsar III - N852LW 
1+623-363-0544

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 11:50 AM Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Never used it. Threw it out right away.  Bought one from Britain.
I am pulling all stuff related to Rotax out of my Pulsar getting ready to electrify it.  Selector valve still in.  I'll look at it this PM. 
Let you know.
Bernie Wilder
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com (saafbusiness(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
All,

I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994.  It works but always seems to bind up some over time and I want to upgrade/replace it
Thanks

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pulsar1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

Bernie, I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Pulsar. Have you decided on the motor and battery set up?
George

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:54 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Never used it. Threw it out right away. Bought one from Britain.

I am pulling all stuff related to Rotax out of my Pulsar getting ready to electrify it. Selector valve still in. I'll look at it this PM.

Let you know.

Bernie Wilder

Quote:
All,
I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994. It works but always seems to bind up some over time and I want to upgrade/replace it

Thanks

N345JS(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

Mark, do not use the original 1994 fuel selector valve, it has killed people.

John Schussler

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, at 11:34 AM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com> wrote:

All,

I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994. It works but always seems to bind up some over time and I want to upgrade/replace it

Thanks

n3300p(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

John Denver died because of the hard to reach location of the fuel selector:
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/NTSB_Determines_John_Denvers_Crash_Caused_by_Poor_Placement_of_Fuel_Selector_Handle_Diverting_His_Attention_During_Flight.aspx

How to overhaul your valve:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=157142&highlight=Fuel+selector+valve

On Aug 3, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Mine was made by Andair. Model FS20-4.

Features Left-Both-Right and OFF selections..

One must pull up on a knob on the selector lever to reach OFF

It isn't so much the switch itself that causes the major problem but where the instructions tell you to place the valve.

My instructions for kit number 390 was to place the valve on the front side of the pilot seat support. Thus you had to reach between your legs to operate the fuel valve.

Maybe other Pulsars were different but for me in mine I had to undo my shoulder harness to be able to lean for enough forward to manipulate the valve when it was mounted there.

I never ran more than 30 minutes on one side before switching to the other in order to keep the plane balanced.

Imagine yourself wanting to change from left to right fuel cell while in the air. 1. Undo your shoulder harness, 2. lean forward and turn the selector valve. 3. Hope that you turned it the right way because you can't see what you have done. 4. Lean back and buckle up again.

Now,,,, imagine yourself doing that if you run out of fuel and trying to keep flying the airplane at the same time.

From the beginning I mounted my fuel selector valve right in front of the stick. I can reach it without difficulty or if I have a passenger I can ask them to turn the selector valve - - AND no danger of accidently turning it to off.

Fly Safe,,,

Bernie Wilder

[quote] On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com> wrote:
The fuel selector has killed people ?

This is the one I have from the original areodesigns which obviously aircraft spruce still sells

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/whfsv.php?clickkey=1606670

So you guys said you threw yours away as soon as you got it but no one told be what they are using that's way better Sad

Thanks

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:40 AM Pulsar-List Digest Server <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:
> *
>
> =========================
> Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
> =========================
>
> Today's complete Pulsar-List Digest can also be found in either of the
> two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
> in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
> and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
> of the Pulsar-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
> such as Notepad or with a web browser.
>
> HTML Version:
>
> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2018-08-02&Archive=Pulsar
>
> Text Version:
>
> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2018-08-02&Archive=Pulsar
>
>
> =======================
> EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
> =======================
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Pulsar-List Digest Archive
> ---
> Total Messages Posted Thu 08/02/18: 5
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Today's Message Index:
> ----------------------
>
> 1. 08:38 AM - Fuel Selector Valve (Mark Fox)
> 2. 11:47 AM - Re: Fuel Selector Valve (Bernard Wilder)
> 3. 12:15 PM - Re: Fuel Selector Valve (FoesFlyDennis)
> 4. 12:37 PM - Re: Fuel Selector Valve (George Gennuso)
> 5. 02:05 PM - Re: Fuel Selector Valve (John Schussler)
>
>
>
> ________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
>
>
> Time: 08:38:08 AM PST US
> From: Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com>
> Subject: Fuel Selector Valve
>
> All,
>
> I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994.
> It works but always seems to bind up some over time and I want to
> upgrade/replace it
>
> What has been the groups experience with that part? . Any suggestions?
>
> Seems like Aircraft Spruce has them form $7 - $1000.....Pretty wide range Smile
>
> Thanks
>
> ________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
>
>
> Time: 11:47:59 AM PST US
> From: Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Fuel Selector Valve
>
> Never used it. Threw it out right away. Bought one from Britain.
>
> I am pulling all stuff related to Rotax out of my Pulsar getting ready to
> electrify it. Selector valve still in. I'll look at it this PM.
>
> Let you know.
>
> Bernie Wilder
>
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have the original fuel selector value from the aerodesign kit in 1994

esalehto(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,

I am interested of your fuel selector.
Which one you have and how much are you asking for it?
Regards
Esa
Dallas, TX

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Quote:
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Bernard Wilder
<bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Never used it. Threw it out right away. Bought one from Britain.

I am pulling all stuff related to Rotax out of my Pulsar getting ready to electrify it. Selector valve still in. I'll look at it this PM.

Let you know.

Bernie Wilder

Quote:
All,

Thanks

Discover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel Selector Valve Reply with quote

John Denver died because of the hard to reach location of the fuel selector:

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/NTSB_Determines_John_Denvers_Crash_Caused_by_Poor_Placement_of_Fuel_Selector_Handle_Diverting_His_Attention_During_Flight.aspx
How to overhaul your valve:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=157142&highlight=Fuel+selector+valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: