Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water pump removal « in aircraft » XS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnFrance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Water pump removal « in aircraft » XS Reply with quote

Hello,
I have an intermittent coolant leak on my classic which has a XS firewall forward package.
Is it possible to remove the water pump from the engine while it is in situ on the aircraft?
In spite of doing pressure tests, running the aircraft with the cowlings off I have been on the unable to trace the origin of the leak, it does not leak cold with a pressure of 1,4 bars.
On some flights there is no discernible leak, on others I have lost up to 150 ml during a two hour flight.
There is a bit of a white deposit on the exhaust heat shield underneath the water pump. I have also found liquid on the aluminium plate above the radiators but the air passage through the radiators has always been dry.

I would rather be sure of where the leak is coming from prior to taking anything apart. Does anyone have some experience or knowledge they could share with me?

Regards,
John

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

graeme bird

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Water pump removal « in aircraft » XS Reply with quote

I have had two leaks on mine; the first was from new and on the port side 1" pipe joint above the radiator, I concluded when shutting down the water, no longer circulating, heated here from the exhaust and engine and wept out of the vertical joint. I changed to silicone pipe, wrapped it in insulation webbing and used a better quality clamp.

The second leak was a tiny hole in the radiator.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
tennant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Water pump removal « in aircraft » XS Reply with quote

Hi John,

There is a drain hole under the water pump which is designed to allow water to exit that has passed the water pump seal, so that it does not enter the crankcase through the oil seal.
The Manual Shows an engine Strip down to Change the seal but I have done it in situe from under the plane. A fiddle, but possible.
Mine is a 912 on a Classic mono so your Access could be different.

Best of luck

Barry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: