Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we not be careful of what we post here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

To all..
Admittedly, despite lurking for quite some time, I'm new to the forum, and actively posting. Having been the son of a Troop glider mechanic, who knew proper aircraft proceedures, and having rebuilt 3 GA, and then watched many EXPs go together, and then ULs and LSAs... well my outlook may be more on the serious side of aviation practices, and caution.

One of many "too short" stories? My dad repaired a Champ wing, because his pilot friend ran it into a tree off the side of his back yard runway. Dad did fine work, and his A&P friend signed off. The young bold pilot jumped in, and headed down the runway. He was barely off the ground when both ailerons went full deflection.. and I think dad's heart stopped briefly, thinking something came un-done. Well the ol Champ rolled 360 to upright, and then around the patch. When he landed he jumped out with a big grin, "Howd ya like my test flight?" Under his breath, I could hear dad mutter, "100 HP motor, 10 HP brain".

Well.. THEN this same guy borrowed his friends brand new Hyper-Light.. a UL version of the Hyper-Bipe. He put it inverted too, over the runway.. briefly, until the wings folded negative. You could say he found the Center of Gravity and Nirvana all at the same time. Didn't make it to "old, Bold pilot" category.

Some planes will go upside down.. do the loop-de-loop.. and woo the crowds. But if you google Kolbs and inverted flight.. they might read a post here, which says, "It can be done". Pretty sure Kolbs do just fine right side up.. but they aren't designed or stressed for inverted, or aerobatics. And while some minor mods, or larger well designed ones may also work.. it might be best to post all with caution stated, least someone else thinks it fine to self teach aerobatics in a Kolb. Some things I've already seen on here, in a few weeks, basically are "way wrong" in light of living a long healthy aviation life.

Just hoping that "just because someone else" can roll a Champ, on a test flight, that it doesn't mean they all work so well. Or maybe I just know too many dead pilots.. most of which didn't assemble correctly, or lacked judgment, or self-training, or good common sense? Like 3 consecutive loops in a Pterodactyl(!?!?), before it struck the ground in a fatal way. Luckily he didn't spill any of his beer!! In most cases, it wasn't the fault of the airplane that it, and the pilots are no longer with us. Just sayin...

Jerry

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

Jerry, I don’t think you’ll find anyone on this list who will advocate doing aerobics in Kolbs. Have they been done, yes. I know a few guys myself who didn’t survive, none were flying Kolbs at the time. I’m grateful I did. And I was trained in aerobics. I think a lot of us have done things in life that we wouldn’t recommend others to do. Like I said earlier. I’m glad that I survived my youth. Have a great day.
George H.
Firestar, FS100, 2702 Hirth
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, at 6:41 PM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com> wrote:

To all..
Admittedly, despite lurking for quite some time, I'm new to the forum, and actively posting. Having been the son of a Troop glider mechanic, who knew proper aircraft proceedures, and having rebuilt 3 GA, and then watched many EXPs go together, and then ULs and LSAs... well my outlook may be more on the serious side of aviation practices, and caution.

One of many "too short" stories? My dad repaired a Champ wing, because his pilot friend ran it into a tree off the side of his back yard runway. Dad did fine work, and his A&P friend signed off. The young bold pilot jumped in, and headed down the runway. He was barely off the ground when both ailerons went full deflection.. and I think dad's heart stopped briefly, thinking something came un-done. Well the ol Champ rolled 360 to upright, and then around the patch. When he landed he jumped out with a big grin, "Howd ya like my test flight?" Under his breath, I could hear dad mutter, "100 HP motor, 10 HP brain".

Well.. THEN this same guy borrowed his friends brand new Hyper-Light.. a UL version of the Hyper-Bipe. He put it inverted too, over the runway.. briefly, until the wings folded negative. You could say he found the Center of Gravity and Nirvana all at the same time. Didn't make it to "old, Bold pilot" category.

Some planes will go upside down.. do the loop-de-loop.. and woo the crowds. But if you google Kolbs and inverted flight.. they might read a post here, which says, "It can be done". Pretty sure Kolbs do just fine right side up.. but they aren't designed or stressed for inverted, or aerobatics. And while some minor mods, or larger well designed ones may also work.. it might be best to post all with caution stated, least someone else thinks it fine to self teach aerobatics in a Kolb. Some things I've already seen on here, in a few weeks, basically are "way wrong" in light of living a long healthy aviation life.

Just hoping that "just because someone else" can roll a Champ, on a test flight, that it doesn't mean they all work so well. Or maybe I just know too many dead pilots.. most of which didn't assemble correctly, or lacked judgment, or self-training, or good common sense? Like 3 consecutive loops in a Pterodactyl(!?!?), before it struck the ground in a fatal way. Luckily he didn't spill any of his beer!! In most cases, it wasn't the fault of the airplane that it, and the pilots are no longer with us. Just sayin...

Jerry

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=482754#482754

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

George,
My previous post was not meant to be critical of you. Somewhat of a general POV regarding this being a open forum. And yet I don't recall you mentioning earlier your training in aerobatics. Glad you included it. That does make a huge difference.

And as for me.. and what I might suggest to many who I have known personally, is that they take this hobby seriously. Some don't! There are GA pilots, and there are UL pilots.. and now LSA (in the middle). If I mentioned ULs to GA people (back when).. I got shunned. And yet if I looked at some of the UL folks (and too many laid-back, less experienced incidents and accidents).. I too could see a gap in the level of commitment or knowledge. For the benefit of those I know personally.. I stress education and knowledge.. and a more serious approach to flying, maintenance, training, etc. When ULs came along, it opened lots of doors for lots of people.. to enjoy flying. But.. it may have been too easy, to take it seriously. We have all done things we regret, or viewed later as risky.

My bucket list? ONE ITEM! Drive up to Chicago, and take the flight in their Extra 300 (?), with the aerobatic instructor... to go out and slice up the sky. Should be fun!

Jerry

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

I wasn’t offended Jerry. I flight instructed out in SoCal for about 2 1/2 years in Spectrum Beavers and the toughest trainees were all private pilots(which I was when I discovered ultralighting. ) I’m totally committed to flight safety. Being a former USAF, C141 and F4 crewchief I’m just committed to aircraft maintenance.
Like I always said, I’m grateful to have survived the stupidity of my youth.😉
George H .
Firestar, FS100, 2702 Hirth
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 30, 2018, at 12:19 PM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com> wrote:

George,
My previous post was not meant to be critical of you. Somewhat of a general POV regarding this being a open forum. And yet I don't recall you mentioning earlier your training in aerobatics. Glad you included it. That does make a huge difference.

And as for me.. and what I might suggest to many who I have known personally, is that they take this hobby seriously. Some don't! There are GA pilots, and there are UL pilots.. and now LSA (in the middle). If I mentioned ULs to GA people (back when).. I got shunned. And yet if I looked at some of the UL folks (and too many laid-back, less experienced incidents and accidents).. I too could see a gap in the level of commitment or knowledge. For the benefit of those I know personally.. I stress education and knowledge.. and a more serious approach to flying, maintenance, training, etc. When ULs came along, it opened lots of doors for lots of people.. to enjoy flying. But.. it may have been too easy, to take it seriously. We have all done things we regret, or viewed later as risky.

My bucket list? ONE ITEM! Drive up to Chicago, and take the flight in their Extra 300 (?), with the aerobatic instructor... to go out and slice up the sky. Should be fun!

Jerry

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=482798#482798

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

I was on the other side of DaNang airport from the F4s in'72.. fooling with Beechcraft RU-21As. A Queen Air with King Air turboprops, early Inertial Navigation System, and some.. uh.. serious spy equipment in the back. The things people will do to get their heads shaved?!?!

http://oldspooksandspies.org/138th/138th.html

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Should we not be careful of what we post here? Reply with quote

You sure know how to make a guy feel old. I was out in 68 and living in California raising a family in 72. Where did the time go? Lol.
George H.
Firestar
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 30, 2018, at 1:41 PM, Jerry-TS-MkII <12flybellaire(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I was on the other side of DaNang airport from the F4s in'72.. fooling with Beechcraft RU-21As. A Queen Air with King Air turboprops, early Inertial Navigation System, and some.. uh.. serious spy equipment in the back. The things people will do to get their heads shaved?!?!

http://oldspooksandspies.org/138th/138th.html

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=482804#482804

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: