Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVO current limiter project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartrim(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

What was the final status of this current limiter project?I've downloaded all the info from the Aeroelectric site but it is still labeled as under development.
I'd like to build one, but before I order a few boards from pcbExpress, I just wanted to know if the project is completed as it stands now?
  The components are cheap but the board is expensive and I'll end up with 3 of them, so is there anyone else who would like a board?
  It looks like I'll also have to invest in a PICkit 1 flash starter kit. These are no longer made as they are now up to version 3, but they can still be bought on eBay. Or is there anyone who was previously involved in this project that can program a chip for me?
Thanks
Todd Bartrim
C-FSTB
RV9

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

The builder who used this project on his plane posted that it worked very well.
Read Dennis' post near the bottom of this thread:
http://www.matronics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=470854&sid=213ec347d8eaec8f1c56ef0d4cf417c8

I have purchased PCB boards from elecrow.com at low prices compared to local PCB houses. The disadvantage is that it takes up a month to get the boards.

A low cost option is to use a magnetic reed switch instead of the circuit board. Wrap a reed switch with several turns of wire. Put that wire in series with the motor. When the motor current is high, the reed switch will close and turn on an indicator light.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

At 09:44 AM 9/14/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

http://www.matronics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=470854&sid=213ec347d8eaec8f1c56ef0d4cf417c8

I have purchased PCB boards from elecrow.com at low prices compared to local PCB houses. The disadvantage is that it takes up a month to get the boards.

A low cost option is to use a magnetic reed switch instead of the circuit board. Wrap a reed switch with several turns of wire. Put that wire in series with the motor. When the motor current is high, the reed switch will close and turn on an indicator light.

--------
Joe Gores

I'm a bit confused about the status of this project.
I seem to recall having laid out boards, stuffing
a prototype and handing the proof-of-concept board
off to someone to be programmed.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20180917170551.06667428(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20180917170551.06667428(at)aeroelectric.com.1[/img]

I dug around here looking for the project-bin but could not
immediately put my hands on it.

Did this fall down a crack somewhere . . . and is the crack
in my shop?

Bob . . .

14b67606.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.49 KB
 Viewed:  5013 Time(s)

14b67606.jpg

14b67635.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.11 KB
 Viewed:  5013 Time(s)

14b67635.jpg

bartrim(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

Hi Bob;  I'm hoping that the code was complete and boards were proven to be correct as I've put in an order for a board (minimum 3 and it appears that each board had 2 designed into it, so 6 boards) and ordered enough components from Digi-Key to populate all 6. 
I've also ordered a PICkit3 programmer to program the PIC.
  First I ordered the PICkit1 from eBay as the notes indicated that was used as the programmer then I immediately realized that it was an obsolete programmer from the 90's but seller wouldn't cancel the order, so I still ordered the new PICkit3 and will use the other one as a paperweight to remind me why Amazon is better than eBay.
  Anyways, I expect boards, components and programmer to be here within a week and we'll see how it all comes together.
I'd be happy to split up the rest of the boards and components (programmed with the code of coarse) for anyone who wants one.
Todd
C-FSTB
RV9

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018, 15:16 Robert L. Nuckolls, III, <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 09:44 AM 9/14/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>

I have purchased PCB boards from elecrow.com at low prices compared to local PCB houses.  The disadvantage is that it takes up a month to get the boards.

A low cost option is to use a magnetic reed switch instead of the circuit board.  Wrap a reed switch with several turns of wire.  Put that wire in series with the motor.  When the motor current is high, the reed switch will close and turn on an indicator light.

--------
Joe Gores

I'm a bit confused about the status of this project.
  I seem to recall having laid out boards, stuffing
  a prototype and handing the proof-of-concept board
  off to someone to be programmed.

[img]cid:165e9d9d2ca50eaea0f1[/img]

[img]cid:165e9d9d2ca55fb5c6b2[/img]

I dug around here looking for the project-bin but could not
  immediately put my hands on it.

Did this fall down a crack somewhere . . . and is the crack
  in my shop?

Bob . . .

14b67635.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.11 KB
 Viewed:  5012 Time(s)

14b67635.jpg

14b67606.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.49 KB
 Viewed:  5012 Time(s)

14b67606.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

At 06:43 PM 9/17/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob;
 I'm hoping that the code was complete and boards were proven to be correct as I've put in an order for a board (minimum 3 and it appears that each board had 2 designed into it, so 6 boards) and ordered enough components from Digi-Key to populate all 6.Â
 First I ordered the PICkit1 from eBay as the notes indicated that was used as the programmer then I immediately realized that it was an obsolete programmer from the 90's but seller wouldn't cancel the order, so I still ordered the new PICkit3 and will use the other one as a paperweight to remind me why Amazon is better than eBay.
 Anyways, I expect boards, components and programmer to be here within a week and we'll see how it all comes together.
I'd be happy to split up the rest of the boards and components (programmed with the code of coarse) for anyone who wants one.

Was this an extension of the approach
I published or a parallel effort?
I was thinking I'd handed off the schematic,
BOM and a quantity of boards off for
further development but that was too
many projects ago and I've lost track
of the details.

Bob . . .

bartrim(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

Hi Bob;  This is the project that was ongoing for several years on this list but abruptly ended in July 2017. I was following the discussion with interest, but other responsibilities at the time left me unable to get involved. 
As I recently returned to flight again, I quickly remembered why I thought this was a much needed improvement for the IVO prop. So I read through the archives and studied the material you have posted at http://www.aeroelectric.com/Catalog/AEC/9023/
I did post a message here a few days back inquiring about the status of the project, before I ordered the parts to build one (or 6), so I'm now somewhat financially committed to at least trying to stand on your shoulders and complete this project. The info posted at the link on your site seems to be complete and the last posting about it didn't declare it to be successfully finished but that Beta-testing was about to begin, then nothing further.
So I guess I'm going to be a beta-tester?
Todd
C-FSTB
Todd Bartrim

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 06:43 PM 9/17/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob;
  I'm hoping that the code was complete and boards were proven to be correct as I've put in an order for a board (minimum 3 and it appears that each board had 2 designed into it, so 6 boards) and ordered enough components from Digi-Key to populate all 6.Â

Was this an extension of the approach
  I published or a parallel effort?
  I was thinking I'd handed off the schematic,
  BOM and a quantity of boards off for
  further development but that was too
  many projects ago and I've lost track
  of the details.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: IVO current limiter project Reply with quote

At 09:29 PM 9/17/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
The last 2 posts I saw on this were these 2:

Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
Fri 7/21/2017, 12:23 PM
Got the board stuffed.

http://tinyurl.com/ycemckye

I need to get my pic programmer up and running
for a couple other programs. I'll pop a 9023 chip
and see how critter works.

Bob . . .

AND

Paul A. Fisher <paulf(at)hughes.net>
Wed 10/4/2017, 11:53 AM
Bob and all,
Did we ever finish this project? The message attached below was the last one I heard about it. I don't know if that means it worked, that it didn't work and we gave up, or everyone just lost interest.
I don't have an IVO prop, so I don't need the limiter. I just wondered if the software that I contributed needs any additional refinement.
Paul A. Fisher
Q-200, N17PF
RV-7A, N18PF

If there was a limiter produced I didn't see it.

Deems

Okay guys . . . looks like I dropped the ball on this
one. I'll hide behind the 'too many projects' phenomenon.
Got another grand-kid living with us for a year to
try alternatives to Wichita schools . . . etc. But
that's not an excuse. I'll dig around and get that
package together.

I know Paul had sent me some POC software and I
don't recall having loaded it into a chip. We'll
get that pot back on a front burner today.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: