Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appeal to European Europa owners, aviation Garmin question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Appeal to European Europa owners, aviation Garmin question Reply with quote

On 2018-08-28, at 07:44, Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
I would be truly grateful to anyone in UK with an aviation Garmin, especially Garmin 96, 196, 295/6, 396 or 495/6 who can help me. Do you live by the sea? Can you walk on your beach (when convenient!), turn on your GPS, let it settle, and tell me what altitude/ elevation above / below mean sea level (MSL) that your unit reads? It would be best if, beforehand, you can set the coordinates to latitude/ longitude, datum to WGS84, turn off WAAS or EGNOS augmentation

Richard - I had hoped I might have a chance for a walk on the beach soon but it hasn’t turned up yet (and the nearest beach on the Bristol Channel has a huge tidal range so timing might be an issue!). However, I have done some testing at home in Gloucestershire. I don’t know if it will be of any use to you but here is my data anyway.

At about 63m AMSL (207’) according to the OS 1:25000 map, my Garmin 296 shows an altitude that wanders between 180’ and 220’ - I gave it a while and it doesn’t seem to settle any better, which surprises me (I’ve not noticed that in the air). The accuracy of position was shown as about 24’. The datum is WGS84 and the display is lat/lon. Beside it, my Airbox Aware shows a very steady 164’, and my Dynon D2 shows about 185’. My Garmin Dakota 20 hiking GPS uses WGS84 datum and WGS84 spheroid and in the same spot it shows an altitude of 68m (223') with a positional accuracy of 3m (10’).

Hope this is of some sort of use. I’ll try to get to sea level with both Garmin units and repeat the test at some time.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Appeal to European Europa owners, aviation Garmin quest Reply with quote

Dear Roland, thanks so much, and my apologies for the slow reply, I have been on wildlife survey in southwestern Uganda ( a place with no internet); sadly not in my Europa but in a 51-year old Cessna 182!

Your information is very useful. I am quite surprised that none of your units show large deviation from an Ordinance survey MSL datum, given that the deviation of WGS84 spheroid from MSL is highest in northern Europe (about 70 m). I suspect there might be a geoid correction in there somewhere, or possibly a barometric correction (certainly for the Dakota).

If you get to a beach sometime, that would be interesting!
Thanks again ,

all best Richard

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: