Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogdenk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I'm curious where people run their main cable from the battery to the front of the plane. Through the tunnel? That seems like a pain and I would have to drill some holes in the spar carrythrough or risk interference with the pitch push tube, plus route around the other things in there like fuel and brake lines etc. I have some conduits run from the back up the sides of the fuselage but I have a lot of stuff to run through them and that is a fat cable coming from the battery.
Kent
#40710 ultra-slow build

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
bdgillespie215(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I ran mine up the left sidewall where it would penetrate the firewall near the relay. Most of the “sensitive” wires are on the right side wall.
Byron
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Kent Ogden <ogdenk(at)upstate.edu (ogdenk(at)upstate.edu)> wrote:
I'm curious where people run their main cable from the battery to the front of the plane. Through the tunnel? That seems like a pain and I would have to drill some holes in the spar carrythrough or risk interference with the pitch push tube, plus route around the other things in there like fuel and brake lines etc. I have some conduits run from the back up the sides of the fuselage but I have a lot of stuff to run through them and that is a fat cable coming from the battery.

Kent
#40710 ultra-slow build

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

As you point out, the tunnel gets busy. The wires I have in the tunnel are limited to the few things that make such runs convenient:
- Three antennas (comm #1 & #2 and transponder). The comm antennas are mounted on the bottom of the tunnel, one on each side. This provides plenty of clearance to the push tube and allows easy access. Transponder is under the passenger seat. (Side note: ADS-B antenna is mounted aft of the baggage compartment along with the ADS-B receiver, connecting wire is in a side conduit. VOR/ILS antenna is in the right wingtip).
- Fuel pump.
- Audio lines to all four headsets.
- Flap wires.
- Both stick grip wires.
- Red cube wires.

Everything else is in conduit, three on each side of the plane. I ended up filling up five of the six conduit runs. If memory serves the #2 welding cable going from the two Master Solenoids mounded at the batteries go up to the starter solenoid on the left side. Both battery ground wires go up the right side. As most of us end up with a lot of stuff aft, more conduit is better than not enough.

Carl

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Kent Ogden <ogdenk(at)upstate.edu> wrote:

Kent
#40710 ultra-slow build

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I would keep wires not called for by the plans out of the tunnel as much as possible. I only have transponder (near front of tunnel), fuel pump wires in the tunnel. This is a metal airframe. Absolutely zero need for a ground wire from batteries to panel. The only ground wires needed for noise reduction are those between panel mount items, audio panel and central grounding tabs on firewall. Any item that draws more than a couple amps is better grounded through the airframe. You don't have to believe me, that is summary of discussions on the Aero-Electric forum.
You have enough wires fore and aft for positive power, com antennas, ADS-B, autopilot servo(s), nav lights, strobes, etc.

Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 8:31 AM Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>

As you point out, the tunnel gets busy.  The wires I have in the tunnel are limited to the few things that make such runs convenient:
- Three antennas (comm #1 & #2 and transponder).  The comm antennas are mounted on the bottom of the tunnel, one on each side.  This provides plenty of clearance to the  push tube and allows easy access.  Transponder is under the passenger seat.  (Side note:  ADS-B antenna is mounted aft of the baggage compartment along with the ADS-B receiver, connecting wire is in a side conduit.  VOR/ILS antenna is in the right wingtip).
- Fuel pump.
- Audio lines to all four headsets.
- Flap wires.
- Both stick grip wires.
- Red cube wires.

Everything else is in conduit, three on each side of the plane.  I ended up filling up five of the six conduit runs.  If memory serves the #2 welding cable going from the two Master Solenoids mounded at the batteries go up to the starter solenoid on the left side.  Both battery ground wires go up the right side.  As most of us end up with a lot of stuff aft, more conduit is better than not enough.

Carl

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Kent Ogden <ogdenk(at)upstate.edu (ogdenk(at)upstate.edu)> wrote:
>
> I'm curious where people run their main cable from the battery to the front of the plane.  Through the tunnel?  That seems like a pain and I would have to drill some holes in the spar carrythrough  or risk interference with the pitch push tube, plus route around the other things in there like fuel and brake lines etc.  I have some conduits run from the back up the sides of the fuselage but I have a lot of stuff to run through them and that is a fat cable coming from the battery.
>
> Kent
> #40710 ultra-slow build

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

On 9/28/2018 10:53 AM, Kent Ogden wrote:

Quote:
I'm curious where people run their main cable from the battery to the front of the plane. Through the tunnel? That seems like a pain and I would have to drill some holes in thespar carrythrough or risk interference with thepitchpush tube, plus route around the other things in there like fuel and brake lines etc. I have some conduits run from the back up the sides of the fuselage but I have a lot of stuff to run through them and that is a fat cablecoming from the battery.

Kent
#40710 ultra-slow build

Up the left side per the Electrical Kit plans.

I didn't buy the Electrical kit (most don't) but the plans for it are very useful in terms of wire routing and discovering some parts (custom cable supports and such) that are available from Vans. My electrical system looks nothing like that supported by the kit but some of the parts and particularly the fat cable route to the firewall are very useful in many designs.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Battery cable Reply with quote

I put my EarthX ETX 900 on the engine side of the firewall. I have a 43 pound prop with spinner so weight and balance will likely work out fine. I did the computations using Vans factory aircraft as a starting point and it was close to a wash. I ran my starter cable back down the left side of the BPE oil pan and up and over the engine mount using adel clamps on the engine mount. The battery weighs about 5 pounds and the battery cable will be about 18” long. The starter cable is the longest. The Battery is on the lower right side of the firewall. Yes it is more expensive, but it is a lot lighter and I saved several pounds of #2 cable. They also last much longer and the discharge rate while parked is close to insignificant.
Robert Jones

On Sep 28, 2018, at 09:16, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
On 9/28/2018 10:53 AM, Kent Ogden wrote:

Quote:

Kent
#40710 ultra-slow build

Up the left side per the Electrical Kit plans.

I didn't buy the Electrical kit (most don't) but the plans for it are very useful in terms of wire routing and discovering some parts (custom cable supports and such) that are available from Vans. My electrical system looks nothing like that supported by the kit but some of the parts and particularly the fat cable route to the firewall are very useful in many designs.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: