Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okanogan Lew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Paul

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
wdjester(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

As painful as it is to say, you might have a bad rear gear handle.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org> wrote:

I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483389#483389

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

hkgibby(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

Agree with Jester...Prob bad rear valve. Been there done that. Remove it permanently and you’ll solve a big headache. Procedure costs less than $10 and I can send it to you if interested.

Hoot
hkgibby(at)yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, at 6:46 PM, wdjester <wdjester(at)cox.net> wrote:

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org> wrote:
>
>
>
> I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483389#483389
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

You most likely have a leaking gear actuator.  Air is passing from the
DOWN side of the actuator past the internal seals and exiting out the UP
side of one or more of the actuators.

If you purchased a new gear selector from Doug, then it is unlikely the
new gear selector is leaking.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 9/26/2018 9:46 PM, wdjester wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org> wrote:
>
>
>
> I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483389#483389
>

k7wx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

Had the same series of events. Problem was solved after replacing both of the original main gear actuators.

Warren Hill
N464TW
Mesa, AZ
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2018, at 5:17 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

You most likely have a leaking gear actuator. Air is passing from the DOWN side of the actuator past the internal seals and exiting out the UP side of one or more of the actuators.

If you purchased a new gear selector from Doug, then it is unlikely the new gear selector is leaking.
Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

>
>
> As painful as it is to say, you might have a bad rear gear handle.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Paul

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

If the actuators have not been overhauled or replaced in the last 7 or so years, you may want to seriously consider overhauling or replacing them. Diverter valves too.
Dennis

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak

--> Yak-List message posted by: Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net (k7wx(at)earthlink.net)>

Had the same series of events. Problem was solved after replacing both of the original main gear actuators.

Warren Hill

N464TW

Mesa, AZ

Quote:
On Sep 27, 2018, at 5:17 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

Quote:

Quote:
You most likely have a leaking gear actuator. Air is passing from the DOWN side of the actuator past the internal seals and exiting out the UP side of one or more of the actuators.

Quote:

Quote:
If you purchased a new gear selector from Doug, then it is unlikely the new gear selector is leaking.

Quote:
Dennis

Quote:

Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese

Quote:
334-546-8182 (mobile)

Quote:
www.yak-52.com

Quote:
Skype - Yakguy1

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
> --> Yak-List message posted by: wdjester <wdjester(at)cox.net (wdjester(at)cox.net)>

Quote:
>

Quote:

Quote:
>

Quote:
> Sent from my iPad

Quote:
>

Quote:
>> On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)> wrote:

Quote:
>>

Quote:
>> --> Yak-List message posted by: "Okanogan Lew" <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)>

Quote:
>>

Quote:
>> I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug. But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position. It stops when the handle is in the up position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
>>

Quote:
&= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse

ht=====================

http://forums.matronics.com

http://wiki.matro========================

okanoganlew(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

Up date on the leak.  I have tested all three gear actuators per Doug's instructions and they are not leaking.  I did notice a small amount of air leaking from the gear RETRACTION hoses that attach to the actuators.  All three have air flowing thru them.  How is that possible?  The front pit gear handle is down & the rear is in the neutral position & air is still leaking from the front pit valve.  I am at my wits end & would appreciate more advice.  Thanks.

Paul
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:53 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
If the actuators have not been overhauled or replaced in the last 7 or so years, you may want to seriously consider overhauling or replacing them.  Diverter valves too.
Dennis

From: Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net (k7wx(at)earthlink.net)>
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak

--> Yak-List message posted by: Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net (k7wx(at)earthlink.net)>

Warren Hill

N464TW

Mesa, AZ

Quote:
On Sep 27, 2018, at 5:17 AM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

Quote:

Quote:
You most likely have a leaking gear actuator.  Air is passing from the DOWN side of the actuator past the internal seals and exiting out the UP side of one or more of the actuators.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Dennis

Quote:

Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese

Quote:
334-546-8182 (mobile)

Quote:
www.yak-52.com

Quote:
Skype - Yakguy1

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
> --> Yak-List message posted by: wdjester <wdjester(at)cox.net (wdjester(at)cox.net)>

Quote:
>

Quote:

Quote:
>

Quote:
> Sent from my iPad

Quote:
>

Quote:
>> On Sep 26, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)> wrote:

Quote:
>>

Quote:
>> --> Yak-List message posted by: "Okanogan Lew" <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)>

Quote:
>>

Quote:
>> I noticed air leaking from my front gear handle & replaced it with a new one from Doug.  But, it still leaks in the middle position & in the down position.  It stops when the handle is in the up position.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Quote:
>>

Quote:

ht=====================

melrod971

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my CJ and the problem is your rear gear handle. Remember the rear is the master and when it fails it sends air everywhere to include your front handle vent hole. Replace the rear or better yet do the mod to remove the handle.

Mike

bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

Should the seals in the gear retraction (cylinder - piston) leak on the pressure side where will the Air go? one side of the piston has pressure with the gear down, that same piston has pressure on the other side in the gear up position. So if the seal that's under pressure lets air pass (leaks) that air just blows by the other seal and out the relief port. You might want to take one apart to understand how the seal works as it expands under pressure. The air your hearing might be leaking past the piston and out the relief port.

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎September‎ ‎29‎, ‎2018‎ ‎03‎:‎14‎:‎10‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Paul Lewis <okanoganlew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Up date on the leak. I have tested all three gear actuators per Doug's instructions and they are not leaking. I did notice a small amount of air leaking from the gear RETRACTION hoses that attach to the actuators. All three have air flowing thru them. How is that possible? The front pit gear handle is down & the rear is in the neutral position & air is still leaking from the front pit valve. I am at my wits end & would appreciate more advice. Thanks.
Paul

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:53 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
If the actuators have not been overhauled or replaced in the last 7 or so years, you may want to seriously consider overhauling or replacing them. Diverter valves too.
Dennis

From: Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net (k7wx(at)earthlink.net)> To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:09 AM Subject: Re: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak

Warren Hill
N464TW
Mesa, AZ
Quote:

Dennis

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

>
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>
>>
>>
ht=====================

romaine_richard(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

There are folks here more qualified to chase the more unusual leaks, but so far this has worked for me:

With the retract hose disconnected, air out the actuator retract nipple is a leak across that leaking actuator.

Air out the disconnected retract hose is from a bad cockpit selector valve.

With all lines connected, if the front cockpit valve is venting even with rear valve in “down”, it’s the rear valve.

With rear valve in neutral, if front cockpit valve vents when it’s in down or neutral it’s likely the front valve, but as others have said, it could just be you now notice the combined leak of multiple leaky actuators, hence pulling the retract lines to verify valve or actuator as above.

..don’t select “up” without jacks!

Hope you already have it sorted.
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

flying(at)jeffhove.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

If the problem is leaking actuators, put jacks under the plane while
troubleshooting.

If the CJ is like the Yak-52, the gear can retract with neither selector
in the up position.

The selector has a dead spot between Neutral and Down.  If the lever is
not all the way down (due to fiddling while troubleshooting the hissing
sound), or a passage is clogged, leaking seals allow pressure build-up
on the gear-up side of the system.   Any rapid depressurization of the
air system will leave the gear-up side's trapped air at higher pressure
than the Down-side.   The result is shocking and expensive.

Jeff Hove

On 10/1/2018 7:44 AM, Richard Romaine wrote:
Quote:

There are folks here more qualified to chase the more unusual leaks, but so far this has worked for me:

With the retract hose disconnected, air out the actuator retract nipple is a leak across that leaking actuator.

Air out the disconnected retract hose is from a bad cockpit selector valve.

With all lines connected, if the front cockpit valve is venting even with rear valve in “down”, it’s the rear valve.

With rear valve in neutral, if front cockpit valve vents when it’s in down or neutral it’s likely the front valve, but as others have said, it could just be you now notice the combined leak of multiple leaky actuators, hence pulling the retract lines to verify valve or actuator as above.

...don’t select “up” without jacks!

Hope you already have it sorted.
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

okanoganlew(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: CJ6 Landing Gear Handle Leak Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your help.  The plane is on jacks & have installed a new front pit valve.  Checked all gear actuators & they are not leaking.  When the front pit lever is in the up position, there is no air leak.  When it is in neutral or down , then the air leaks.  What's weird is that when the front pit lever is in the down position, there is air leaking from the gear actuator hoses that retracted the wheels & when I put my thumb over the end of the hose, the air noise at the front pit changes. Go figure!!

Paul
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 4:31 PM Jeff Hove <flying(at)jeffhove.com (flying(at)jeffhove.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: Jeff Hove <flying(at)jeffhove.com (flying(at)jeffhove.com)>

If the problem is leaking actuators, put jacks under the plane while
troubleshooting.

If the CJ is like the Yak-52, the gear can retract with neither selector
in the up position.

The selector has a dead spot between Neutral and Down.  If the lever is
not all the way down (due to fiddling while troubleshooting the hissing
sound), or a passage is clogged, leaking seals allow pressure build-up
on the gear-up side of the system.   Any rapid depressurization of the
air system will leave the gear-up side's trapped air at higher pressure
than the Down-side.   The result is shocking and expensive.

Jeff Hove

On 10/1/2018 7:44 AM, Richard Romaine wrote:
> --> Yak-List message posted by: Richard Romaine <romaine_richard(at)yahoo.com (romaine_richard(at)yahoo.com)>
>
> There are folks here more qualified to chase the more unusual leaks, but so far this has worked for me:
>
> With the retract hose disconnected, air out the actuator retract nipple is a leak across that leaking actuator.
>
> Air out the disconnected retract hose is from a bad cockpit selector valve.
>
> With all lines connected, if the front cockpit valve is venting even with rear valve in “down”, it’s the rear valve.
>
> With rear valve in neutral, if front cockpit valve vents when it’s in down or neutral it’s likely the front valve, but as others have said, it could just be you now notice the combined leak of multiple leaky actuators, hence pulling the retract lines to verify valve or actuator as above.
>
> ...don’t select “up” without jacks!
>
> Hope you already have it sorted.
> Rich
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>
>
>

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: