Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zwakie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing a new panel with a.o. a TRIG TY91 radio and TRIG TT21 transponder with remote control heads.

The radio units have been installed on a tray under the baggage area, and I am now wondering what the easiest way is to route the wire bundles for those forward to the instrument panel.

To my dislike the builder has routed most electrical wires as well as fuel lines through the tunnel, but I am going to leave that for now. This however makes the tunnel an already 'busy place', and I do not want to create problems with existing wires and lines so I need to be careful when routing the new wire bundles.

Routing the bundles across the bottom floor and then work them upwards to the top of the tunnel (which is my preferred position, above the fuel ilnes) is going to be a problem as a number of wires/lines is running from port to starboard, effectively making this approach impossible.

Another idea I had was to use some sort of flexible 'pipe' with 2" diameter, and work that through the tunnel first to use is as a guide to pull the bundles through. Problem with this approach however is that it will be hard to properly connect the bundle to the top of the tunnel. Additional trouble factor is that the DB connectors for the control heads is of the fixed type that cannot be opened up to allow for a smaller diameter.

Any suggestions for others options to pull this off? I appreciate all the advise I can get.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Burrilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel Reply with quote

How about along the door sill line from panel to baggage bay panel and then down to the installed trays.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 6 Oct 2018, at 21:38, zwakie <mz(at)cariama.nl> wrote:

I'm in the process of installing a new panel with a.o. a TRIG TY91 radio and TRIG TT21 transponder with remote control heads.

The radio units have been installed on a tray under the baggage area, and I am now wondering what the easiest way is to route the wire bundles for those forward to the instrument panel.

To my dislike the builder has routed most electrical wires as well as fuel lines through the tunnel, but I am going to leave that for now. This however makes the tunnel an already 'busy place', and I do not want to create problems with existing wires and lines so I need to be careful when routing the new wire bundles.

Routing the bundles across the bottom floor and then work them upwards to the top of the tunnel (which is my preferred position, above the fuel ilnes) is going to be a problem as a number of wires/lines is running from port to starboard, effectively making this approach impossible.

Another idea I had was to use some sort of flexible 'pipe' with 2" diameter, and work that through the tunnel first to use is as a guide to pull the bundles through. Problem with this approach however is that it will be hard to properly connect the bundle to the top of the tunnel. Additional trouble factor is that the DB connectors for the control heads is of the fixed type that cannot be opened up to allow for a smaller diameter.

Any suggestions for others options to pull this off? I appreciate all the advise I can get.

--------
Marcel Zwakenberg
XS TG || 912ULS || PH-SBR

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483655#483655

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zwakie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel Reply with quote

Burrilla wrote:
How about along the door sill line from panel to baggage bay panel and then down to the installed trays.

Thanks for thinking along Alan.

I have looked at that too, but the total number of wires make up a bundle too thick to fit there (even when splitting the wires up in a bundle routed starboard and one routed on the port side), so that's not really an option I'm afraid. I also thought of using a variation on the door sill route: creating a horizontal duct right under the door sill or at the floor both port and starboard side.

To be fair: all options are open, but I really prefer routing it through the tunnel despite the challenges that come with it.

I thought a bit more on the 'pipe' approach: maybe I can find a lightweight and flexible semi-circular duct (half round - half flat) that serves both as a guide for installation as well as fixture on a more permanent basis. Perhaps the collective wisdom here knows of such materials and where to obtain it from, the keyword here being "flexible"?

Well, as you can probably tell, my mind is spinning at stellar speed and chances are that my keyboard is spitting out a load of rubbish now... Wink

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel Reply with quote

Marcel,

There is no easy solution, but I have had the luxury of wiring a number of new aircraft and rewiring a number of older aircraft.

Since your airplane is used you can either live with what the previous builder did, rewire, or patch.

If it isn’t broke and you are going to patch, follow these rules:

1. Make sure the com/transponder/vhf nav antenna wires are clear of the com and any current carrying wires.
2. Shield all the intercom and radio wires you can. Power and ground are not shielded normally.
3. Since it is a patch job, clearly mark all the wires using permanent marking ties. (A zip tie thingy with a tab.)
4. Make sure you have adequate access to the center tunnel hole as fuel, brake, and wires are present and by adjusting the position of much of this you may cause a brake line leak, fuel line cut etc. Make a new access hole if necessary. I have one large belly panel and a smaller one at the rear

zwakie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advise wanted: route new wire bundle through tunnel Reply with quote

Hi Bud, thanks for your suggestions as always.

budyerly(at)msn.com wrote:
There is no easy solution

Yes, I came to that conclusion myself Wink

1. Make sure the com/transponder/vhf nav antenna wires are clear of the com and any current carrying wires.
2. Shield all the intercom and radio wires you can. Power and ground are not shielded normally.

Sure enough.
3. [...] clearly mark all the wires using permanent marking ties. (A zip tie thingy with a tab.)

For markings I use printable shrink wrap labels, that works very nicely.

4. [...] as fuel, brake, and wires are present and by adjusting the position of much of this you may cause a brake line leak, fuel line cut etc.

This was my reason for thinking before acting as this is my biggest concern also due to lack of 'easy' access: I only have two small panels where the tank outlets are (for fuel line replacement),. Unfortunately these are too small to get my arm through far enough to reach the top of the tunnel. So maybe...
Make a new access hole if necessary. I have one large belly panel and a smaller one at the rear

is the best thing to do first.

Where do you put that rear panel, is it approximately where the landing gear is mounted, and and do you have a picture that you can share? (I could not find any picture on your website)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: