Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOM STARTER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: LOM STARTER Reply with quote

Hello All

Tried to start my 4 cylinder LOM with supercharger and 12 volt starter for first time to-day.

Starter seems very sluggish and does not want to spin the engine and seems to struggle to get past one compression stroke.
Wiring does not get warm but starter gets warm very quickly

Any advise or observations?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)
Home: +1 250-999-8121
Mike cell: +1 250-885-0554
1-1100 Tulip Ave, Victoria, BC, V8Z 0A2

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics Lom-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List
sjbeaver(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: LOM STARTER Reply with quote

The 12v version of the starter is quite rare, so I must first ask are you absolutely 100% sure that you have a 12v starter? If you are, then put a volt meter across the starter terminal and measure the voltage when you attempt to start the engine.
How close is the reading to 12v?
With the supercharger disengaged, does the starter spin quickly and easily when you press the starter button?
Does the engine turn freely by hand?
Since the starter drives the engine through the supercharger gearing, it takes rather less power than most starters. I use only very small 9 AH lead acid battery and my engine cranks vigorously. It is 24v, however.
Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: 614-937-4189
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:16 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Hello All

Tried to start my 4 cylinder LOM with supercharger and 12 volt starter for first time to-day.

Starter seems very sluggish and does not want to spin the engine and seems to struggle to get past one compression stroke.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
Home: [url=tel:+1%20250-999-8121]+1 250-999-8121[/url]
Mike cell: [url=tel:+1%20250-885-0554]+1 250-885-0554[/url]

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jameseby(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: LOM STARTER Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

I have a 6 cylinder LOM with a 12 volt starter in my Bush Caddy 164. The engine always turned painfully slowly and the starter was actually a 0.6 kw motor from an atv winch (I purchased the engine second hand). I tried for eight months to get a 12 v starter from LOM and they finally told me to contact their supplier as they were having problems with them. Their supplier never answered my emails.
I considered changing the plane to 24 v but in the interest of time purchased a 1.0 kw Champion 3500 lb winch and had a new end cover machined for the motor to fit. It is better, but still turns slowly. I have installed a Slick Start in place of the vibrator and the engine starts fine.
Good luck with assistance from LOM as their customer support seems to non existent since the departure of Petr Prokop.
Regards
James Eby
Québec Canada

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 22, 2018, at 7:28 AM, sjbeaver <sjbeaver(at)gmail.com (sjbeaver(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
The 12v version of the starter is quite rare, so I must first ask are you absolutely 100% sure that you have a 12v starter? If you are, then put a volt meter across the starter terminal and measure the voltage when you attempt to start the engine.
How close is the reading to 12v?
With the supercharger disengaged, does the starter spin quickly and easily when you press the starter button?
Does the engine turn freely by hand?
Since the starter drives the engine through the supercharger gearing, it takes rather less power than most starters. I use only very small 9 AH lead acid battery and my engine cranks vigorously. It is 24v, however.
Steve-- Stephen BeaverTel: 614-937-4189
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:16 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Hello All

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
Home: [url=tel:+1%20250-999-8121]+1 250-999-8121[/url]
Mike cell: [url=tel:+1%20250-885-0554]+1 250-885-0554[/url]

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: