Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old / new tailwheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.vogel(at)ggs.ch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

Hello everybody

My Europa Classic, finished one year ago, has still the original tailwheel.
After 30 hours test flights I am thinking about replacing the “old”
tailwheel with the XS type.
But I cant find any problems with steering for example. My question to
somebody with experience
on both types of wheels: "Is it worth the great effort for this
modification?"
But there is an other problem with big bouncing on uneven grass runways.
A very strong rebound
is resulting in strong bouncing with force me for a go around mostly.
There is the red rubber block and old shock absorber. Does somebody have
got any
experience and a solution about this problem.
I think this is not in connection with the classic tail wheel?

Regards, Ruedi Vogel, HB-YJF

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

Hello Ruedi,

My experience of Europa tail wheels is many hundreds of hours with the original type and about 25 - 30 with the XS type. My preference is for the original connected directly to the rudder pedals with no springy links, so there is immediate response to any movement of the pedals. I didn't enjoy the slight lag/delay in directional control when flying a friend's Europa with the XS tail wheel, because it made me feel insecure and less in control. But perhaps if I had continued with his XS for many more hours, then eventually I would have gained confidence with it.

My Classic Europa had the red block shock absorber with hydraulic dampers and seemed to work well without much bouncing, if I made sure to land it with both main wheel and tail wheel contacting the ground at the same time. In fact I would try to have the stick completely rearwards at the moment of landing and maybe the tail wheel touched the ground first. But if the main wheel touched the ground first, then there was usually a bounce. This bounce almost never forced me to go around.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tennant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

Hi Ruedi,

Get rid of the old tail wheel. I did about 100 hrs on it and was scared of it. The later wheel is much better. I find the spring action perfect on take off as there is nearly no transition from ground to air.
As to landing, I am told by passengers that I land with the tail wheel first, I never notice because I am concentrating on keeping it straight. If you do that there is no bounce!
If you fit the new tail wheel see recent posts about mounting it.

Barry

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

Hi Ruedi
One more thing, Don’t get rid of the pushrod that moves the rudder. Connecting the rudder cables directly to the rudder puts too much load on the rudder hinges
And the flange. Europa did take over my mod for this, the tailwheel is driven by cables from a bracket bolted to the bulkhead.
It is possible to use the existing crank driving the old Classic tailwheel but using the mod will save weight.
Graham

Quote:
On 22 Oct 2018, at 13:07, tennant <barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ruedi,

Get rid of the old tail wheel. I did about 100 hrs on it and was scared of it. The later wheel is much better. I find the spring action perfect on take off as there is nearly no transition from ground to air.
As to landing, I am told by passengers that I land with the tail wheel first, I never notice because I am concentrating on keeping it straight. If you do that there is no bounce!

Barry

--------
Barry Tennant
D-EHBT
At EDLM - Germany

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=483925#483925

r.vogel(at)ggs.ch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

Hi

Many thanks to Graham, Barry, Jonathan and Andreas for the good advises! Now I have decided to rid the old tail wheel. I will keep the old
wheel bearing block with a modified steering arm. That's the way I can use
the push road and the cables without modification. Is a bit heavier as the
solution according to Mode 77. But I have had 3.7kg lead in the back as W/B
compensation before.

Best regards

Ruedi Vogel, HB-YJF

Am 22.10.2018 um 16:41 schrieb Gaham Singleton:

Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Gaham Singleton <grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com> (grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com)

Hi Ruedi
One more thing, Don’t get rid of the pushrod that moves the rudder. Connecting the rudder cables directly to the rudder puts too much load on the rudder hinges
And the flange. Europa did take over my mod for this, the tailwheel is driven by cables from a bracket bolted to the bulkhead.
It is possible to use the existing crank driving the old Classic tailwheel but using the mod will save weight.
Graham

Quote:
On 22 Oct 2018, at 13:07, tennant <barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com> (barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com) wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "tennant" <barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com> (barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com)

Hi Ruedi,

Barry

--------
Barry Tennant
D-EHBT
At EDLM - Germany

--

Ruedi Vogel
Wiesenweg 6
CH-3380 Wangen a.A.

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Old / new tailwheel Reply with quote

I did it that way first. Worked well. You might need a wider crank on the new tail wheel. As you slow down through 20 knots you lose rudder control, no prop draft, so tail wheel steering has to take over.

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Oct 2018, at 17:00, Ruedi Vogel <r.vogel(at)ggs.ch (r.vogel(at)ggs.ch)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi

Many thanks to Graham, Barry, Jonathan and Andreas for the good advises! Now I have decided to rid the old tail wheel. I will keep the old
wheel bearing block with a modified steering arm. That's the way I can use
the push road and the cables without modification. Is a bit heavier as the
solution according to Mode 77. But I have had 3.7kg lead in the back as W/B
compensation before.

Best regards

Ruedi Vogel, HB-YJF

Am 22.10.2018 um 16:41 schrieb Gaham Singleton:

Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Gaham Singleton <grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com> (grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com)

Hi Ruedi
Graham

Quote:
On 22 Oct 2018, at 13:07, tennant <barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com> (barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com) wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "tennant" <barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com> (barrington.tennant(at)gmail.com)

Hi Ruedi,

Barry

--------
Barry Tennant
D-EHBT
At EDLM - Germany

--

Ruedi Vogel
Wiesenweg 6
CH-3380 Wangen a.A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: