Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bing 54s & primers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

My ancient Rotax 503 was modified by the previous owner from one Bing to a pair of Bings. The original Bing has a cable to the enricher, but the other only has the little handle to activate, and it's really cranky about starting even with both activated. The previous owner said that it will start easier if I install a primer (and the engine seems to agree, based on 'dribble priming' it). 
So, I just ordered a primer plunger kit (made for Mikunis) , but only one of the carbs has the primer port in the body. Anyone out there with any experience using manual primers that can tell me if priming both carbs will materially improve starting? Should I just bite the bullet & drill the other carb for a primer fitting?
Thanks,
Charlie 

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

I’m not sure Charlie, but I would think once the primed cylinder fires the other would quickly follow. My Hirth uses a Mikuni and starts well with just enrichment.George H
Firestar
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
My ancient Rotax 503 was modified by the previous owner from one Bing to a pair of Bings. The original Bing has a cable to the enricher, but the other only has the little handle to activate, and it's really cranky about starting even with both activated. The previous owner said that it will start easier if I install a primer (and the engine seems to agree, based on 'dribble priming' it).
So, I just ordered a primer plunger kit (made for Mikunis) , but only one of the carbs has the primer port in the body. Anyone out there with any experience using manual primers that can tell me if priming both carbs will materially improve starting? Should I just bite the bullet & drill the other carb for a primer fitting?
Thanks,
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Charlie, I think you'll be fine with a single carb having a primer port since all the primer does is get fuel to the engine before start up so you don't have to wait for the pressure pulse fuel pump to move fuel to the engine. At worst the engine might run a little rough for one or two seconds. Are you going to convert the other carb to a cable pull enrichener?

Rick Girard
On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 2:14 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks,
Charlie 

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

It's hard to start even when the enrichment cable is activated, and the enrichment lever is flipped on the one without a cable. Also, the airframe was set up for only one cable, so it seemed more sensible to just add a primer. Maybe I'll try putting the enricher cable on the non-primer carb, and feed the primer to the one with the port.

Thanks,

Charlie

On 11/11/2018 3:40 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:
Charlie, I think you'll be fine with a single carb having a primer port since all the primer does is get fuel to the engine before start up so you don't have to wait for the pressure pulse fuel pump to move fuel to the engine. At worst the engine might run a little rough for one or two seconds. Are you going to convert the other carb to a cable pull enrichener?

Rick Girard

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 2:14 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Charlie 

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. I doubt you’ll need the enrichment with the primer. But it can’t hurt to have it available. George H
Firestar
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2018, at 6:01 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to start even when the enrichment cable is activated, and the enrichment lever is flipped on the one without a cable. Also, the airframe was set up for only one cable, so it seemed more sensible to just add a primer. Maybe I'll try putting the enricher cable on the non-primer carb, and feed the primer to the one with the port.

Thanks,

Charlie

On 11/11/2018 3:40 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:

Thanks,

Charlie

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

I never had the need for a primer on my two strokes, both Cuyuna and Rotax.  Engines would start with no problem well below freezing.  Same or similar carbs as mounted on snow machines (snowmobiles).  Reckon it gets pretty cold, in their environment, at times.

If the engine and fuel system is in good shape, it will start with the enricher in a couple pulls, and even quicker with an electric starter.

When the enricher is pulled it opens a valve to dump the fuel stored in the enricher well, doing same thing a primer does.  Then the engine is pulling fuel from the idle jet and the enricher jet plus allows a little more air through the carb.

Before I'd spend the money and hang another gadget on my airplane I'd make sure that the carb is doing what it is supposed to do, especially the enricher system.  Could be you aren't getting that initial dump of fuel from the enricher well on start up.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 2:13 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Bing 54s & primers

Thanks,

Charlie

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

That's a good data point to know. None of the docs I've read mention the enricher acting like an accelerator pump when it's activated; they just talk about the plunger opening up a second, richer fuel path when the throttle is closed. I'll pull the filter assy & look for a squirt of fuel when it's activated.

Thanks,

Charlie

On 11/11/2018 7:34 PM, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I never had the need for a primer on my two strokes, both Cuyuna and Rotax.  Engines would start with no problem well below freezing.  Same or similar carbs as mounted on snow machines (snowmobiles).  Reckon it gets pretty cold, in their environment, at times.

If the engine and fuel system is in good shape, it will start with the enricher in a couple pulls, and even quicker with an electric starter.

When the enricher is pulled it opens a valve to dump the fuel stored in the enricher well, doing same thing a primer does.  Then the engine is pulling fuel from the idle jet and the enricher jet plus allows a little more air through the carb.

Before I'd spend the money and hang another gadget on my airplane I'd make sure that the carb is doing what it is supposed to do, especially the enricher system.  Could be you aren't getting that initial dump of fuel from the enricher well on start up.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks,

Charlie 

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Been 25 years since I had a Rotax 2 stroke.  Forgot to mention a couple things that are important:

-In order for the enricher system to work correctly, the throttle must be closed.  If the throttle is cracked it defeats the enricher system.

-Make sure the enricher seal is in good shape.  They didn't last long back in my day.  If they leak they'll drive you nuts trying to figure out why your engine ain't runnin' right.

-The carb float bowl should be full prior to attempting a cold start.  Fill with the primer bulb or an electric fuel pump.  Getting rid of the primer bulb and installing a Facet pump will take care of filling the float bowl and eliminate a probable problem.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Hauck
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: Bing 54s & primers

I never had the need for a primer on my two strokes, both Cuyuna and Rotax. Engines would start with no problem well below freezing. Same or similar carbs as mounted on snow machines (snowmobiles). Reckon it gets pretty cold, in their environment, at times.

When the enricher is pulled it opens a valve to dump the fuel stored in the enricher well, doing same thing a primer does. Then the engine is pulling fuel from the idle jet and the enricher jet plus allows a little more air through the carb.

Before I'd spend the money and hang another gadget on my airplane I'd make sure that the carb is doing what it is supposed to do, especially the enricher system. Could be you aren't getting that initial dump of fuel from the enricher well on start up.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England

Thanks,

Charlie

Titus, Alabama
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Quote:
 I'll pull the filter assy & look for a squirt of fuel when it's activated.

Quote:

You won't get a squirt.... The fuel goes from the float bowl through an enrichner jet into a small resivour in the corner of the float bowl.   When the enrichner is activated a suction tube that goes to the bottom of the enrichner resivour quickly drains the resivour providing a slug of fuel.  If the enrichner is left on  the only fuel that can get to the enrichner circuit has to go through the jet.    If the engine does not start, let the starter rest.    The jet will allow the enrichner resivour to fill again.   Cranking the engine again will again supply another slug of fuel.
It has always worked for me.
Boyd Young
Mkiii with 912  Utah
Quote:
Quote:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Yeah!  Make sure the enricher jet is not blocked.

If the enricher jet is blocked, fuel cannot fill the enricher bowl.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of B Young
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:23 PM
To: Kolb List
Subject: Re: Bing 54s & primers

Quote:

I'll pull the filter assy & look for a squirt of fuel when it's activated.

You won't get a squirt.... The fuel goes from the float bowl through an enrichner jet into a small resivour in the corner of the float bowl. When the enrichner is activated a suction tube that goes to the bottom of the enrichner resivour quickly drains the resivour providing a slug of fuel. If the enrichner is left on the only fuel that can get to the enrichner circuit has to go through the jet. If the engine does not start, let the starter rest. The jet will allow the enrichner resivour to fill again. Cranking the engine again will again supply another slug of fuel.

It has always worked for me.

Boyd Young

Mkiii with 912 Utah
Quote:
Quote:

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Got the primer bulb issues T shirt; one of the upgrades is a Facet style pump & a battery to run it.

Thanks to all for the help; I'll report when I get everything back together & tested.

Charlie

On 11/11/2018 8:12 PM, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Been 25 years since I had a Rotax 2 stroke.  Forgot to mention a couple things that are important:

-In order for the enricher system to work correctly, the throttle must be closed.  If the throttle is cracked it defeats the enricher system.

-Make sure the enricher seal is in good shape.  They didn't last long back in my day.  If they leak they'll drive you nuts trying to figure out why your engine ain't runnin' right.

-The carb float bowl should be full prior to attempting a cold start.  Fill with the primer bulb or an electric fuel pump.  Getting rid of the primer bulb and installing a Facet pump will take care of filling the float bowl and eliminate a probable problem.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of John Hauck
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: Bing 54s & primers

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England

Thanks,

Charlie 

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Not an accelerator pump, but does pull all the fuel out of the fuel enricher well on initial engine turn over, if the throttle is closed.

You won't see a squirt of fuel when it is activated, and if the throttle is cracked, it defeats the enricher system.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:00 PM

That's a good data point to know. None of the docs I've read mention the enricher acting like an accelerator pump when it's activated; they just talk about the plunger opening up a second, richer fuel path when the throttle is closed. I'll pull the filter assy & look for a squirt of fuel when it's activated.

Thanks,

Charlie

Quote:

I never had the need for a primer on my two strokes, both Cuyuna and Rotax. Engines would start with no problem well below freezing. Same or similar carbs as mounted on snow machines (snowmobiles). Reckon it gets pretty cold, in their environment, at times.

When the enricher is pulled it opens a valve to dump the fuel stored in the enricher well, doing same thing a primer does. Then the engine is pulling fuel from the idle jet and the enricher jet plus allows a little more air through the carb.

Before I'd spend the money and hang another gadget on my airplane I'd make sure that the carb is doing what it is supposed to do, especially the enricher system. Could be you aren't getting that initial dump of fuel from the enricher well on start up.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

Got it; thanks!

On 11/11/2018 9:10 PM, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Not an accelerator pump, but does pull all the fuel out of the fuel enricher well on initial engine turn over, if the throttle is closed.

You won't see a squirt of fuel when it is activated, and if the throttle is cracked, it defeats the enricher system.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:00 PM

Thanks,

Charlie

Quote:

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Thanks,

Charlie 

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Bing 54s & primers Reply with quote

my 503 dual bing 54”s,enrichers pulled on ,three full strokes of the primer start on the first ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Got it; thanks!On 11/11/2018 9:10 PM, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie EnglandSent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:00 PMTo: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Bing 54s & primers

That's a good data point to know. None of the docs I've read mention the enricher acting like an accelerator pump when it's activated; they just talk about the plunger opening up a second, richer fuel path when the throttle is closed. I'll pull the filter assy & look for a squirt of fuel when it's activated.Thanks,CharlieOn 11/11/2018 7:34 PM, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie EnglandSent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 2:13 PMTo: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Bing 54s & primers

Thanks,

Charlie

[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: