Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

I searched the archives for an answer to this question, but couldn't
find one.  Probably didn't search far enough.

I'm building an Excalibur. There doesn't appear to be any place on top
for a VHF antenna, so I'm putting it on the bottom, under the front
seat.  The Excalibur has short legs, so I'm using the 90 degree antenna
from ACS.  The question is - where should this antenna be positioned on
the relatively small ground plane - with the connection in the center of
the ground plane, or with the connection near the front of the ground
plane so the majority of the trailing antenna is directly under the
ground plane?

Thanks very much for any help/advice.

Bill

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

At 04:40 PM 11/11/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bill Steer <steerr(at)bellsouth.net>

I searched the archives for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one. Probably didn't search far enough.

I'm building an Excalibur. There doesn't appear to be any place on top for a VHF antenna, so I'm putting it on the bottom, under the front seat. The Excalibur has short legs, so I'm using the 90 degree antenna from ACS. The question is - where should this antenna be positioned on the relatively small ground plane - with the connection in the center of the ground plane, or with the connection near the front of the ground plane so the majority of the trailing antenna is directly under the ground plane?

Center the ground plane . . .
Antenna 'hardware' at the base has the
lion's share of antenna CURRENT which
is the stuff of radiation. It's
effectiveness is enhanced by low
resistance, central location in
the ground plane.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob.
Bill
do not archive

On 11/11/2018 7:13 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bill Steer <steerr(at)bellsouth.net> (steerr(at)bellsouth.net)

I searched the archives for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one.  Probably didn't search far enough.

I'm building an Excalibur. There doesn't appear to be any place on top for a VHF antenna, so I'm putting it on the bottom, under the front seat.  The Excalibur has short legs, so I'm using the 90 degree antenna from ACS.  The question is - where should this antenna be positioned on the relatively small ground plane - with the connection in the center of the ground plane, or with the connection near the front of the ground plane so the majority of the trailing antenna is directly under the ground plane?

� Center the ground plane . . .
� Antenna 'hardware' at the base has the
� lion's share of antenna CURRENT which
� is the stuff of radiation. It's
� effectiveness is enhanced by low
� resistance, central location in
� the ground plane.

� Bob . . .

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

jimkale(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

I am helping with the construction of an Excalibur and I too am trying to determine where to put the VHF com antenna.   Any information about exactly where you are locating this antenna, and which commercial antenna you are using would be appreciated.  Photos of the installation would be very nice also.   Jimkale(at)roadrunner.com

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:14 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Antenna position

Quote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bill Steer <steerr(at)bellsouth.net (steerr(at)bellsouth.net)>

I searched the archives for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one. Probably didn't search far enough.

I'm building an Excalibur. There doesn't appear to be any place on top for a VHF antenna, so I'm putting it on the bottom, under the front seat. The Excalibur has short legs, so I'm using the 90 degree antenna from ACS. The question is - where should this antenna be positioned on the relatively small ground plane - with the connection in the center of the ground plane, or with the connection near the front of the ground plane so the majority of the trailing antenna is directly under the ground plane?

Center the ground plane . . .
Antenna 'hardware' at the base has the
lion's share of antenna CURRENT which
is the stuff of radiation. It's
effectiveness is enhanced by low
resistance, central location in
the ground plane.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

Quote:

Is that fabric over steel-tube? What is the
nature of your 'ground' plane. Is it off center
between the keel and first outboard stringer?

Bob . . .

steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

It's fabric over aluminum tube.� The ground plane is a sheet of 0.032" aluminum, 17" x 17".

On 11/11/2018 10:04 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm building an Excalibur. There doesn't appear to be any place on top for a VHF antenna, so I'm putting it on the bottom, under the front seat.  The Excalibur has short legs, so I'm using the 90 degree antenna from ACS.  The question is - where should this antenna be positioned on the relatively small ground plane - with the connection in the center of the ground plane, or with the connection near the front of the ground plane so the majority of the trailing antenna is directly under the ground plane?

� Is that fabric over steel-tube? What is the
� nature of your 'ground' plane. Is it off center
� between the keel and first outboard stringer?

� Bob . . .

steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

Oh, and it's centered between the lower stringers.
do not archive

On 11/11/2018 10:04 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

� Is that fabric over steel-tube? What is the
� nature of your 'ground' plane. Is it off center
� between the keel and first outboard stringer?

� Bob . . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

At 07:50 AM 11/12/2018, you wrote:

Quote:

Okay, you'll need to beef it up structurally. Given
the flexibility of the .032 I think I'd add a doubler
of .062 and 6 x 6 or more.

You could bond it to the .032 with something
like E6000. It only needs to have electrical
integrity to the .032 in proximity to the
area under the antenna mounting. Is the antenna
a one-holer or flanged base?

Bob . . .

steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

The antenna is a one-holer, Bob.
Bill

On 11/12/2018 10:47 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 07:50 AM 11/12/2018, you wrote:

Quote:

�Okay, you'll need to beef it up structurally. Given
�the flexibility of the .032 I think I'd add a doubler
�of .062 and 6 x 6 or more.

�You could bond it to the .032 with something
�like E6000. It only needs to have electrical
�integrity to the .032 in proximity to the
�area under the antenna mounting. Is the antenna
�a one-holer or flanged base?

� Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Antenna position Reply with quote

At 03:42 PM 11/12/2018, you wrote:

Quote:
The antenna is a one-holer, Bob.

Bill

'one holers' tend to put stronger
flexing moments at the mounting
surface . . . but this isn't a
200 mph airplane either.

have you gathered any lessons-learned
from the Excalibur community?

I've often pondered the notion of
trying a 'rubber duck' antenna
off a hand-held for applications
like this. I suspect the range
will not be seriously compromised
while mechanical stresses at
the base would be minimized.

Mechanical and electrical attachment
would be achieved with a feed-thru
connector

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20181113075228.067e3278(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

Hmmm . . . just some random thoughts
early in the morning . . . might find
a hole in the logic after a few more
cups of coffee!

Bob . . .

2958543.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.43 KB
 Viewed:  3336 Time(s)

2958543.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: