Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with securing rib gussets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btahrens(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Help with securing rib gussets Reply with quote

I used 1/4” brass aircraft nails from Aircraft Spruce. They were cheap enough and are resistant to corrosion. A bit tricky to handle due to their size but I found that a pair of spring action tweezers helped with that. 

Of course, you could always make do with no nails at all - the only thing they really do is hold the gussets in place while your glue dries. Using the nails means you don’t have to leave the ribs clamped in place while waiting for the glue to tack. I considered doing without, but I calculated that the nails used in all of my ribs would add less than 1/4 lb to the total weight of my Pietenpol. A good trade off in my mind, all things considered. 
Hope this helps,
Brian Ahrens 

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM Donald philbin <donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com (donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Champions of the aether;

I am once again returning to building some ribs after a long absence and honestly I don't have that many to go (relatively speaking). Looking at the plans I see the notation "nailed and glued on both sides of wing rib 1/2" 20 ga nails". 

Is anyone using brass plated "Escutcheon Pins"? Stainless nails? Help!

Any an all input is appreciated. 

If you wish to reach me off list my email is:

donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com (donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com)

Thank you!

D.K. Philbin 

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
oldbird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Help with securing rib gussets Reply with quote

I used no nails at all. I used common pins nailing them lightly and removed them after epoxy sets.
Semih Oksay
Istanbul, Turkey
On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 5:45 AM Brian Ahrens <btahrens(at)gmail.com (btahrens(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I used 1/4” brass aircraft nails from Aircraft Spruce. They were cheap enough and are resistant to corrosion. A bit tricky to handle due to their size but I found that a pair of spring action tweezers helped with that. 

Of course, you could always make do with no nails at all - the only thing they really do is hold the gussets in place while your glue dries. Using the nails means you don’t have to leave the ribs clamped in place while waiting for the glue to tack. I considered doing without, but I calculated that the nails used in all of my ribs would add less than 1/4 lb to the total weight of my Pietenpol. A good trade off in my mind, all things considered. 
Hope this helps,
Brian Ahrens 

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM Donald philbin <donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com (donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Champions of the aether;

I am once again returning to building some ribs after a long absence and honestly I don't have that many to go (relatively speaking). Looking at the plans I see the notation "nailed and glued on both sides of wing rib 1/2" 20 ga nails". 

Thank you!

D.K. Philbin 

--
Semih Oksay

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

johnnysdrop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help with securing rib gussets Reply with quote

Hi Brian, just weight the gussets down, it works real well and doesn't perforate the capping strip as does a nail!
I've used lead shot in aerosol can caps and very small dumbbell weights as examples, I've also seen concrete in plastic caps used.

pietflyer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Help with securing rib gussets Reply with quote

It depends on what glue you are using. If using epoxy, as most do these days, no nails are necessary other than to simply hold the gussets in place as the epoxy cures (as other have mentioned). Many people have used staples (and some will then go back and pry out the staples after the epoxy cures). If using resorcinol, it is necessary to have a clamping force of at least 75 psi, which requires a nail about every ”. I used resorcinol, and used ” AN501 nails from Aircraft Spruce. These nails are brass plated.

Jack Phillips
NX899JP “Icarus Plummet”
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia, where we are digging out from Sunday’s 14” of snow

From: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Donald philbin
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 8:41 PM
To: Pietenpol-List Digest List <pietenpol-list-digest(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Help with securing rib gussets

Champions of the aether;

Thank you!

D.K. Philbin

jack(at)textors.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Help with securing rib gussets Reply with quote

Donald here is a pic showing my rib clampshttp://textors.com/RibClamps2.jpg

Jack Textor
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 10, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Donald philbin <donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com (donaldphilbin(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Champions of the aether;

Thank you!

D.K. Philbin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: