Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting my own CJ questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Off2wildblue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Painting my own CJ questions Reply with quote

I have the new CJ stripped down. It took 36 hours but I have it all cleaned up. Now I need to talk to someone that has painted their own CJ. I have painted a few cars but never an airplane. I need to ask about what panels, if any, were left on what control surfaces were removed as well as basic technique for getting around the airplane while spraying. Also, the big one on how to keep the oil from dripping while it is painted and drying.

Please PM me if you can provide any helpful information at all. Even if you sent your plane off to be painted and know basically how they prepped it. This is a huge undertaking and I can’t afford to get it wrong.

Thanks a bunch,

SAM

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

BA3671D8-E99E-406B-89DA-EE6B99A481EC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.42 KB
 Viewed:  3500 Time(s)

BA3671D8-E99E-406B-89DA-EE6B99A481EC.jpeg

1264E9FF-073C-47BD-99F7-1A6C3572C8E3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.67 KB

1264E9FF-073C-47BD-99F7-1A6C3572C8E3.jpeg

CB3F7D85-AFB8-4920-A956-991C97E74535.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.74 KB

CB3F7D85-AFB8-4920-A956-991C97E74535.jpeg

Harv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my own CJ questions Reply with quote

Hi Sam

I've been through this process and outlined a few points below.

All control surfaces were removed and stripped to replace the Chinese cotton which was redone with modern fabric (ceconite) and then silver doped. They were then high build primed and painted with modern 2k paint but with around 15% plasticiser added (important).

All removable airframe panels like hatches, cowlings, canopy frames (glass removed), wings, tail and all the gear legs and fairing were stripped and then painted with aircraft etch and zinc primer follow again with high build 2k primer and finally topcoat.

For all the top coats I found it easier to paint each wing one side at a time suspended vertically and this was the same for the rudder, rear fin and horizontal stab.

The fuselage as small as it can be made is still very big and I tackled this by masking off manageable sections along the natural skin joint and doing them in stages and then moving on to the next. Once a section is painted though you will need to mask it off otherwise overspray will ruin the finish.

Cowlings were done half at a time

All small panels were painted on the bench, hung up or held in hand.

Hope this helps

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  262.09 KB
 Viewed:  3457 Time(s)

image.jpeg

JL2A

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my own CJ questions Reply with quote

Just got my CJ back from paint shop. It took 5 months!

Like previous poster wings were done hanging (suspended from attach points) along with everything else in the paint booth / oven. Fuselage is the only part that couldn't fit in the booth so was done in warm weather and took longer to cure.

Mine is a 1980 model, so not sure if it applies to all but once we had stripped everything we found that most of the steel pop rivets in the trailing edge were corroded. Probably a good idea to address this before painting over even if in ok condition as they may not stay that way! Dissimilar metal corrosion so doesn't matter that it is under paint.

Off2wildblue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my own CJ questions Reply with quote

JL2A wrote:
Just got my CJ back from paint shop. It took 5 months!

Like previous poster wings were done hanging (suspended from attach points) along with everything else in the paint booth / oven. Fuselage is the only part that couldn't fit in the booth so was done in warm weather and took longer to cure.

Mine is a 1980 model, so not sure if it applies to all but once we had stripped everything we found that most of the steel pop rivets in the trailing edge were corroded. Probably a good idea to address this before painting over even if in ok condition as they may not stay that way! Dissimilar metal corrosion so doesn't matter that it is under paint.

I assume that you’re talking about the ones that drain water also. At least that’s what I think they are for because they have a hole in the middle. So how did you do you address it? Did you replace them with new rivets?

Also, what paint system did you use? Basically, what type of primer, paint, and clearcoat and who is the manufacturer? I’m still trying to research what to use.

SAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: