Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-14 Switches Preferred...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsimpso1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Z-14 Switches Preferred... Reply with quote

My first post. I have to assume this has been checked out before, but could not find it...
From my fresh copy of AeroElectric Connection, I have found some surprises... and I am not accustomed to doing circuit design - I am a Mechanical Engineer. Firstissue:
Page 11-21, Fig 11-22 is supposed to be an excerpt from Z-14 (which I plan to use on my electrically dependent engine IFR ship) showing a diode bridge for operation of the cross feed contactor;
Appendix Z-14 in my book shows three 1N5400 diodes.
Tracing the diodes in each case, these appear to be the same electrically,  but which is the preferred set of parts for this system?
Second issue. The starter cross feed switch on Z-14:
In Appendix Z-14, the switch is labeled S700-2-7, with a Circle L, yet the drawing shows momentary-on the start side but stays on in the cross feed position. 2-7 is an (ON)-OFF-(ON) switch, not the (ON)-OFF-ON shown which seems to be an S700-2-5. Does the circuit self-energize and so does not need the switch to stay the Crossfeed position? If yes, does it disconnect when we turn off both masters? 
Then on page 17-10, Bob proposes the S700-2-50 for the combined starter and cross feed. 
So, which switch is the now current right way to build this circuit? Do I use a diode bridge or three 1N5400 diodes? Do I use the 2-7, the 2-5, or the 2-50? And "for extra credit", why do we go with each version?
Bill Simpson

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Z-14 Switches Preferred... Reply with quote

On Dec 23, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Bill Simpson <wsimpso1(at)comcast.net (wsimpso1(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

My first post. I have to assume this has been checked out before, but could not find it...
From my fresh copy of AeroElectric Connection, I have found some surprises... and I am not accustomed to doing circuit design - I am a Mechanical Engineer. Firstissue:
Page 11-21, Fig 11-22 is supposed to be an excerpt from Z-14 (which I plan to use on my electrically dependent engine IFR ship) showing a diode bridge for operation of the cross feed contactor;
Tracing the diodes in each case, these appear to be the same electrically, but which is the preferred set of parts for this system?
In Appendix Z-14, the switch is labeled S700-2-7, with a Circle L, yet the drawing shows momentary-on the start side but stays on in the cross feed position. 2-7 is an (ON)-OFF-(ON) switch, not the (ON)-OFF-ON shown which seems to be an S700-2-5. Does the circuit self-energize and so does not need the switch to stay the Crossfeed position? If yes, does it disconnect when we turn off both masters?
Then on page 17-10, Bob proposes the S700-2-50 for the combined starter and cross feed.
So, which switch is the now current right way to build this circuit? Do I use a diode bridge or three 1N5400 diodes? Do I use the 2-7, the 2-5, or the 2-50? And "for extra credit", why do we go with each version?
Bill Simpson
Hi Bill,
I don't have my book handy, but the 5400 diode(s) are rated at 3A, while you can buy almost any rating for the diode block. The block is also easier to mount, and easier to heatsink, if required, while the 5400s must be soldered to some kind of support. Your application would determine what is best for you.
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Z-14 Switches Preferred... Reply with quote

My crossfeed does close automatically during cranking if either (or
both) batteries are available.

I have an older version of Z-14 which also incorporates a little 30 amp
automotive relay in the control circuit. It uses a simple ON -OFF switch
that will close the crossfeed whether the battery master is on or off. 
(My crossfeed contactor is fed by both hot batt buss's and don't require
the battery master to be on).  I leave that crossfeed switch OFF at all
times unless one alternator has failed.

I think you are referring to a later circuit utilizing a 3 position
crossfeed switch. It has a continuous ON,  OFF, or momentary crank the
engine position. I would leave that switch in the OFF position unless
cranking or after losing one alternator.  The 3 diodes insure that
current from either side of Z-14 can close the contactor. Normally
operating with the crossfeed contactor open insures that your low
voltage warning devices will immediately warn you if one alternator
drops offline.
Ken

On 23/12/2018 2:00 PM, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:

On Dec 23, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Bill Simpson <wsimpso1(at)comcast.net
<mailto:wsimpso1(at)comcast.net>> wrote:

My first post. I have to assume this has been checked out before,
but could not find it...
From my fresh copy of AeroElectric Connection, I have found some
surprises... and I am not accustomed to doing circuit design - I
am a Mechanical Engineer. Firstissue:
Page 11-21, Fig 11-22 is supposed to be an excerpt from Z-14
(which I plan to use on my electrically dependent engine IFR ship)
showing a diode bridge for operation of the cross feed contactor;
Tracing the diodes in each case, these appear to be the same
electrically,  but which is the preferred set of parts for this
system?
In Appendix Z-14, the switch is labeled S700-2-7, with a Circle L,
yet the drawing shows momentary-on the start side but stays on in
the cross feed position. 2-7 is an (ON)-OFF-(ON) switch, not the
(ON)-OFF-ON shown which seems to be an S700-2-5. Does the circuit
self-energize and so does not need the switch to stay the
Crossfeed position? If yes, does it disconnect when we turn off
both masters?
Then on page 17-10, Bob proposes the S700-2-50 for the combined
starter and cross feed.
So, which switch is the now current right way to build this
circuit? Do I use a diode bridge or three 1N5400 diodes? Do I use
the 2-7, the 2-5, or the 2-50? And "for extra credit", why do we
go with each version?
Bill Simpson

Hi Bill,
I don't have my book handy, but the 5400 diode(s) are rated at 3A,
while you can buy almost any rating for the diode block. The block
is also easier to mount, and easier to heatsink, if required,
while the 5400s must be soldered to some kind of support. Your
application would determine what is best for you.

Charlie

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Z-14 Switches Preferred... Reply with quote

Quote:

Tracing the diodes in each case, these appear to be the same electrically, but which is the preferred set of parts for this system?

Either works fine . . . your choice.

Quote:

2-50 and 2-7 are errors. The latest drawing on
the website shows that the error was corrected
when 2-5 was called out at revision P

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20181223203444.002beff8(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img] [/b]

Bob . . .

e0b12be.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.99 KB
 Viewed:  2401 Time(s)

e0b12be.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: