Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HJ 460 trip report....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Sunday 6 Jan Bogota Medellin 1:15 flight time 150nm 120kt
Monday 7 Jan Medellin Bureaucracy
Tuesday 8 Jan Medellin Gelabert Panama 404nm 3:46 128kt av speed landed with 1/4 tank 4 gals - we started with 6 gals in the aux tank and 15.  Panama Controllers helpful and professional - albeit their radios were not working well and we had issues to Tocumen Approach - one of the other pilots in the air mentioned that they had been having issues.
Wednesday 9 Jan we planned to go to Limon Costa Rica we took off from Gelbert and then had to return due to weather 1.5 hours.
Thursday 10 Jan Gelabert to San Jose Costa Rica.  Shortly before David northern Panama the Dynon started flashing Green Red Blue white and black in succession so we decided to land in David. Gelabert to David is 206 nm 2:53 97kt.  The unplanned stop in David caused a lot of confusion with the authorities and we had to get gas which they don't have on the field.  Everyone was very helpful, for example Operations got a taxi driver to take the aux tank to fill up at a local gas station.  But having landed at 0900 we took off again at 1330.  The Dynon came back up within 15 minutes of landing so we assumed that the fault was due to heat.  iLevil and analog engine instruments backup worked exactly as planned to provide air and basic engine data.     So we decided to continue with a jury rigged shade for the Dynon. 
David - Liberia Costa Rica.  We had originally planned to fly to San Jose GA Airport MRPV but on on seeing towering cumulus we asked to continue to Liberia which was authorized. 227nm, 2 hours, I dont have any other data because my ipad shut down due to heat....it was easily 100 degrees in the cockpit.  Costa Rican Controllers were super helpful, even pointing out the sights to us as they tracked us on radar.  We landed in 18ktG25 without the slightest problem.
The Dynon repeated its fault so we decided on reaching Liberia and talking to Dynon to return to Miami for the weekend to pick up a new unit which should be arriving today.  Kudos to Don Jones of Dynon tech support but not so happy as this is the second unit in 100 hours and the second transponder.   The interesting thing is that the unit continued to function despite the screen failing.  The AP worked and we got wifi attitude (when the ipad cooled down) and voice alerts.  I have powerful cold air tube to the back of the unit but its hard to cool down the front.
We plan to return to Liberia on Monday install the new Dynon unit and continue.  We plan to go to Salvador Ilopango.  Then we are at a fork in the road which depends on weather.  
One fork goes Cozumel Key West.  This is 385 nm.    We have 24 gals on board.  Today according to Foreflight we have a 2kt headwind and will consume 19.1 gals (2 gals taxi 7 gph climb 5.5gph cruise).  this leaves a reserve of 4.9 gals which if you had options would be fine however the only option to KEYW is cuba!  Also this doesn't include deviations which are common in the Caribbean due to build ups.   So unless we can guarantee a good tail wind and clear skies I feel that this is risky.
The other fork goes Tapachula Mexico Brownsville and round the gulf to 04FA Miami which is over 1000nm and we would have to contend with the weather in Southern USA which can be variable.  However I feel that if the weather is kind we can push on - 3x2 hour legs in a day is perfectly possible.
Lessons learned - 
  • Heat is tough on the body and takes a toll on electronics.  We need more sun shade and ventilation.
  • The back systems worked BUT we hadn't thought about how to actually use them....It would have been very useful to have a means by which the Android iLevil PFD back up could have been placed in front of the pilot.  The way we solved this was for the Co Pilot sing out the speeds on approach (which incidentally resulted in very stable approaches) but it might have been different if I had been on my own.  I would have had to have the PFD on my lap or something like that which certainly wouldnt have been optimum and might have been a serious issue in marginal conditions.
  • So far we have spent more time on bureaucracy than actually flying.
A request:  I know I have asked this before but can you all help me with suggestions for routes between KBRO and KTMB.  Particularly Id like to know of friendly airports and contacts in case we have further technical issues.
Yours
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Will,
Sounds like you have had a very “interesting” journey so far. Almost all airports are “Friendly” to GA aircraft. Did you not receive the flight plan I sent back on Dec 1? You didn’t reply, so perhaps you didn’t.

Here’s what I put together trying to avoid as much troublesome airspace as possible and refuel at the least expensive fuel stops:

KMFE (entry); KBEG (low cost gas); KBEA (waypoint); 00R (waypoint or fuel); 5R8 (waypoint or fuel); 0R1 (waypoint or fuel); 79J (waypoint or fuel); 40J (waypoint or fuel); X35 (land/fuel); KCHN or X06 (waypoint or fuel); F45 (waypoint); 04FA (land)

If you insist on KBRO as a point of entry then KBRO; KPIL; KBEA

This track keeps you inland and close to airports along the way in case one is needed. It avoids the worst airspace issues but you will still have to contend with MOAs, they are everywhere. Flight following will help with them. Distance 1308 NM, enroute time would be 12:45+stops and would burn about 53 gal of fuel.

Please don’t hesitate to ask about alternates if the legs are too long. I based this on the performance of my Europa and is pretty conservative with fuel.

Heat will be less of a problem as you get further north.

Wishing you the best of luck with your electronics. I’ve had my iPad blank out from heat. Always at the worst possible time.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
On Jan 12, 2019, at 8:34 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Tuesday 8 Jan Medellin Gelabert Panama 404nm 3:46 128kt av speed landed with 1/4 tank 4 gals - we started with 6 gals in the aux tank and 15. Panama Controllers helpful and professional - albeit their radios were not working well and we had issues to Tocumen Approach - one of the other pilots in the air mentioned that they had been having issues.
Wednesday 9 Jan we planned to go to Limon Costa Rica we took off from Gelbert and then had to return due to weather 1.5 hours.
Thursday 10 Jan Gelabert to San Jose Costa Rica. Shortly before David northern Panama the Dynon started flashing Green Red Blue white and black in succession so we decided to land in David. Gelabert to David is 206 nm 2:53 97kt. The unplanned stop in David caused a lot of confusion with the authorities and we had to get gas which they don't have on the field. Everyone was very helpful, for example Operations got a taxi driver to take the aux tank to fill up at a local gas station. But having landed at 0900 we took off again at 1330. The Dynon came back up within 15 minutes of landing so we assumed that the fault was due to heat. iLevil and analog engine instruments backup worked exactly as planned to provide air and basic engine data. So we decided to continue with a jury rigged shade for the Dynon.
David - Liberia Costa Rica. We had originally planned to fly to San Jose GA Airport MRPV but on on seeing towering cumulus we asked to continue to Liberia which was authorized. 227nm, 2 hours, I dont have any other data because my ipad shut down due to heat....it was easily 100 degrees in the cockpit. Costa Rican Controllers were super helpful, even pointing out the sights to us as they tracked us on radar. We landed in 18ktG25 without the slightest problem.
The Dynon repeated its fault so we decided on reaching Liberia and talking to Dynon to return to Miami for the weekend to pick up a new unit which should be arriving today. Kudos to Don Jones of Dynon tech support but not so happy as this is the second unit in 100 hours and the second transponder. The interesting thing is that the unit continued to function despite the screen failing. The AP worked and we got wifi attitude (when the ipad cooled down) and voice alerts. I have powerful cold air tube to the back of the unit but its hard to cool down the front.

We plan to return to Liberia on Monday install the new Dynon unit and continue. We plan to go to Salvador Ilopango. Then we are at a fork in the road which depends on weather.

One fork goes Cozumel Key West. This is 385 nm. We have 24 gals on board. Today according to Foreflight we have a 2kt headwind and will consume 19.1 gals (2 gals taxi 7 gph climb 5.5gph cruise). this leaves a reserve of 4.9 gals which if you had options would be fine however the only option to KEYW is cuba! Also this doesn't include deviations which are common in the Caribbean due to build ups. So unless we can guarantee a good tail wind and clear skies I feel that this is risky.

The other fork goes Tapachula Mexico Brownsville and round the gulf to 04FA Miami which is over 1000nm and we would have to contend with the weather in Southern USA which can be variable. However I feel that if the weather is kind we can push on - 3x2 hour legs in a day is perfectly possible.

Lessons learned -
  • Heat is tough on the body and takes a toll on electronics. We need more sun shade and ventilation.
  • The back systems worked BUT we hadn't thought about how to actually use them....It would have been very useful to have a means by which the Android iLevil PFD back up could have been placed in front of the pilot. The way we solved this was for the Co Pilot sing out the speeds on approach (which incidentally resulted in very stable approaches) but it might have been different if I had been on my own. I would have had to have the PFD on my lap or something like that which certainly wouldnt have been optimum and might have been a serious issue in marginal conditions.
A request: I know I have asked this before but can you all help me with suggestions for routes between KBRO and KTMB. Particularly Id like to know of friendly airports and contacts in case we have further technical issues.

Yours

Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT+57 310 295 0744

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Sorry Bob I did get it but with all the other bureaucracy for the trip I must have overlooked a response. Sorry.
thanks
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744
On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:48 AM Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Will,

Sounds like you have had a very “interesting” journey so far.  Almost all airports are “Friendly” to GA aircraft.  Did you not receive the flight plan I sent back on Dec 1?  You didn’t reply, so perhaps you didn’t.  
Here’s what I put together trying to avoid as much troublesome airspace as possible and refuel at the least expensive fuel stops:
KMFE (entry); KBEG (low cost gas); KBEA (waypoint); 00R (waypoint or fuel); 5R8 (waypoint or fuel); 0R1 (waypoint or fuel); 79J (waypoint or fuel); 40J (waypoint or fuel); X35 (land/fuel); KCHN or X06 (waypoint or fuel); F45 (waypoint); 04FA (land)
If you insist on KBRO as a point of entry then KBRO; KPIL; KBEA
This track keeps you inland and close to airports along the way in case one is needed.  It avoids the worst airspace issues but you will still have to contend with MOAs, they are everywhere.  Flight following will help with them.  Distance 1308 NM, enroute time would be 12:45+stops and would burn about 53 gal of fuel.
Please don’t hesitate to ask about alternates if the legs are too long.  I based this on the performance of my Europa and is pretty conservative with fuel. 
Heat will be less of a problem as you get further north.  
Wishing you the best of luck with your electronics.  I’ve had my iPad blank out from heat.  Always at the worst possible time.
Keep me posted on your progress.
Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Jan 12, 2019, at 8:34 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Tuesday 8 Jan Medellin Gelabert Panama 404nm 3:46 128kt av speed landed with 1/4 tank 4 gals - we started with 6 gals in the aux tank and 15.  Panama Controllers helpful and professional - albeit their radios were not working well and we had issues to Tocumen Approach - one of the other pilots in the air mentioned that they had been having issues.
Thursday 10 Jan Gelabert to San Jose Costa Rica.  Shortly before David northern Panama the Dynon started flashing Green Red Blue white and black in succession so we decided to land in David. Gelabert to David is 206 nm 2:53 97kt.  The unplanned stop in David caused a lot of confusion with the authorities and we had to get gas which they don't have on the field.  Everyone was very helpful, for example Operations got a taxi driver to take the aux tank to fill up at a local gas station.  But having landed at 0900 we took off again at 1330.  The Dynon came back up within 15 minutes of landing so we assumed that the fault was due to heat.  iLevil and analog engine instruments backup worked exactly as planned to provide air and basic engine data.     So we decided to continue with a jury rigged shade for the Dynon. 
David - Liberia Costa Rica.  We had originally planned to fly to San Jose GA Airport MRPV but on on seeing towering cumulus we asked to continue to Liberia which was authorized. 227nm, 2 hours, I dont have any other data because my ipad shut down due to heat....it was easily 100 degrees in the cockpit.  Costa Rican Controllers were super helpful, even pointing out the sights to us as they tracked us on radar.  We landed in 18ktG25 without the slightest problem.
The Dynon repeated its fault so we decided on reaching Liberia and talking to Dynon to return to Miami for the weekend to pick up a new unit which should be arriving today.  Kudos to Don Jones of Dynon tech support but not so happy as this is the second unit in 100 hours and the second transponder.   The interesting thing is that the unit continued to function despite the screen failing.  The AP worked and we got wifi attitude (when the ipad cooled down) and voice alerts.  I have powerful cold air tube to the back of the unit but its hard to cool down the front.
We plan to return to Liberia on Monday install the new Dynon unit and continue.  We plan to go to Salvador Ilopango.  Then we are at a fork in the road which depends on weather.  
One fork goes Cozumel Key West.  This is 385 nm.    We have 24 gals on board.  Today according to Foreflight we have a 2kt headwind and will consume 19.1 gals (2 gals taxi 7 gph climb 5.5gph cruise).  this leaves a reserve of 4.9 gals which if you had options would be fine however the only option to KEYW is cuba!  Also this doesn't include deviations which are common in the Caribbean due to build ups.   So unless we can guarantee a good tail wind and clear skies I feel that this is risky.
The other fork goes Tapachula Mexico Brownsville and round the gulf to 04FA Miami which is over 1000nm and we would have to contend with the weather in Southern USA which can be variable.  However I feel that if the weather is kind we can push on - 3x2 hour legs in a day is perfectly possible.
Lessons learned - 
  • Heat is tough on the body and takes a toll on electronics.  We need more sun shade and ventilation.
  • The back systems worked BUT we hadn't thought about how to actually use them....It would have been very useful to have a means by which the Android iLevil PFD back up could have been placed in front of the pilot.  The way we solved this was for the Co Pilot sing out the speeds on approach (which incidentally resulted in very stable approaches) but it might have been different if I had been on my own.  I would have had to have the PFD on my lap or something like that which certainly wouldnt have been optimum and might have been a serious issue in marginal conditions.
A request:  I know I have asked this before but can you all help me with suggestions for routes between KBRO and KTMB.  Particularly Id like to know of friendly airports and contacts in case we have further technical issues.
Yours
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Will,

We use Pilot Armor Sunshades in our Europa. Not only do they cut the glare, they also reflect heat. On hot days, we position one low in the center of the windscreen to help cool the avionics stack. You can feel the difference on the top of the instrument module. We have 4 of the 16" x 9" ACS P/N 13-09664.

Jim & Heather

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Excellent thanks.We on the big plane on the way down to Liberia to install the dynon and hopefully continue on either tuesday or even tomorrow.    
So we have no means of getting supplies in costa rica.
I am hoping that the temperature will be cooler as we go further north.....
But ill def bear it in mind as soon as i have access to acs.
Will

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019, 09:12 h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net (butcher43(at)att.net) wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <butcher43(at)att.net (butcher43(at)att.net)>

Will,

We use Pilot Armor Sunshades in our Europa.  Not only do they cut the glare, they also reflect heat.  On hot days, we position one low in the center of the windscreen to help cool the avionics stack.  You can feel the difference on the top of the instrument module.  We have 4 of the 16" x 9" ACS P/N 13-09664.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=486925#486925

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: HJ 460 trip report.... Reply with quote

Will,

I can confirm Jim & Heather comment on the efficacy of the Pilot Armor Sun Screen. I have a pair of them and they work a treat in keeping the sun off of you and/or avionics and keeping the heat down.

Also for the iPad, the X-NAUT Active Cooling Mount works well for keeping an iPad cool, even in the Texas summer. It’s kind of pricy, but I’ve not had a heat related shutdown when using it.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Jan 13, 2019, at 8:09 AM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

Will,

We use Pilot Armor Sunshades in our Europa. Not only do they cut the glare, they also reflect heat. On hot days, we position one low in the center of the windscreen to help cool the avionics stack. You can feel the difference on the top of the instrument module. We have 4 of the 16" x 9" ACS P/N 13-09664.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=486925#486925

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: