Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracked Frames

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Cracked Frames Reply with quote

Just to update everyone re the Frame crack checks. So far I have received
around 30 replies. As yet no cracks reported beyond the original two in the
States.

A couple of damaged frames have been reported after landing incidents, but
these would seem to have come to light following incidents not associated
with normal use and which only came to light during fairly major repair work
after an accident.

The Europa Flyer has just arrived on our doorsteps and this issue includes
the same article as you may have seen on our web site. Since some members
don't view our web site regularly, especially during the Northern Hemisphere
winter, I am hoping for many more responses following the arrival of the
'paper version'.

Answers are still requested in order to provide a greater cross section of
results, so if you have not already done so, please find the time to look at
your aircraft and return your findings to me. Please answer ALL questions
whether or not you find any cracks or damage.

Pete Jeffers (LAA Inspector Rep to the Europa Club)

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked Frames Reply with quote

Good afternoon All,

I'm probably one of a group who are waiting to check our undercarriage frames at annual permit renewal inspection time, which tends to be in the winter or early spring for obvious reasons. So my aircraft will be presented to my inspector for assessment some time in February, following a 50 hour service, u/c frame inspection and dismantlement for the annual.

It's "brass monkey's" in our hangar, so I'm not relishing the process and intend to do everything in a "one-er"!

ATB. Jonathan

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Cracked Frames Reply with quote

Fear not Jonathan,
Unless you had a serious ground loop, or off landing surface excursion where there was more than a bent ego and no damage, it is unlikely a low hour Europa Mono will have a crack.

I think the higher hour aircraft (500+), those who operate off of very rough fields, or perhaps those who cover every square inch of the runway laterally in normal ops zig zagging every flight, need to be concerned. It is not difficult to do a lower end Mod 72 for insurance on a 5 year hose change annual.  It’s like the fuel tank issue. Support the tank properly and the risk of tank failure decreases dramatically.

Right now every mono owner needs to do an annual check carefully in this area of the frame. More importantly, any welded mount such as the motor support frame, landing gear, control pedals, and flight control mechanism must be checked for cracks in the welds. No weld is completely immune from the potential of cracking. It happens even to the best of welds.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:26:55 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Cracked Frames

--> Europa-List message posted by: "JonathanMilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk>

Good afternoon All,

I'm probably one of a group who are waiting to check our undercarriage frames at annual permit renewal inspection time, which tends to be in the winter or early spring for obvious reasons. So my aircraft will be presented to my inspector for assessment some time in February, following a 50 hour service, u/c frame inspection and dismantlement for the annual.

It's "brass monkey's" in our hangar, so I'm not relishing the process!

ATB. Jonathan

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=487126#487126

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: