Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Finally got my stock CJ flying after having swapped the carb.

Runs great, makes lots of power... but...

The manifold pressure goes UP at full power but never seems to drop down below ambient when the throttle is pulled back. Drops to maybe 700 at 1,000 RPM, a little lower in the back seat, so it’s not the gauge.

I didn’t mess with the manifold pressure line. Seems to run quite smoothly from idle to full power with good control, no popping. If it was sucking air I would think it would run super lean and miss.

Ideas? The carb was new from Doug and I de-preserved it properly (I think, hope).

Jon

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Hi Jon;

If you have installed intake drains without re-inforcing the thin wall
tubing at the drain boss there is a possibility of crack development around
the boss.

I do not know if this is the problem but it certainly is a candidate. Check
it out.

Walt

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Ha! I messed with one of my intake drain sumps as well as one of the intake tubes when swapping the carb. That may be it!

[quote] On Mar 18, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Jon;

If you have installed intake drains without re-inforcing the thin wall tubing at the drain boss there is a possibility of crack development around the boss.

I do not know if this is the problem but it certainly is a candidate. Check it out.

Walt

--

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

With the M 14 P engine we have seen many engines where people have installed manifold oil drain systems, but use the original very thin drain plug which is clearly not designed to be drilled and tapped to put a fitting into it, and after a while they will tend to crack! The solution is a much thicker plug which is designed to be drilled and tapped, and is a long-term solution. We, and quite likely others, make them.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.
--

jay-dub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Having pulled ours apart at the weekend, this weld cracking (tapping directly from no.5 cylinder manifold, coupled with a poor design) was the cause of our deadstick, not our original conclusion.

Richard, I presume the pipes for the M14P also fit the HS-6? I had a look at G-BVVG the other day and they look to be the same as on G-YAKH.

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say, but I don't know! As I'm sure you know, the background was
that the Russians developed the AI 14 engine (260 hp) with Ivchenko, and the
design was then taken from them and given to the new design bureau of
Vedenyeev in Voronezh who developed the M 14 P family of engines. At the
same time the Russians gave the design of the AI 14 to the Chinese, who made
the HS-6 with 285 hp.

We have wanted to get into the business of overhauling the Chinese engines,
so obtained an old one, working on the assumption that it was going to be
almost identical to the AI 14 for which we have all the technology and a lot
of spares. However, in the event, it is a very different engine with many
parts that are unique, to the extent that we realised we simply could not
overhaul it!

I can say that the M 14 exhaust has a slightly larger diameter than the
HS-6, and this might well also be the case with the intake tubes, so I
suspect you would need to measure them to be sure.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel:  +44 (0)1544 340120   Fax:  +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

jay-dub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Thank for the information.

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

The intake tubes of the Huosai 6A and the M14P are exactly the same dia.
However the cylinder adaptor has a slightly larger thread dia. and the
attaching nut has a corresponding larger thread dia. so they are not
interchangeable even though the same pin wrench fits both!

Walt

--

jay-dub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

Thanks, Walt.

JasperWheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb swap, manifold pressure oddness Reply with quote

When troubleshooting issues related to carburetor swaps and manifold pressure anomalies in automotive engines, it's essential to consider various factors that could affect performance and efficiency. Utilizing advanced diagnostic tools and techniques, such as those offered by advance with ai, can significantly streamline the troubleshooting process. By analyzing data collected from sensors and monitoring systems, technicians can pinpoint potential issues with carburetor adjustments, intake manifold leaks, or discrepancies in pressure readings. Additionally, leveraging AI-powered algorithms can help identify patterns and correlations in data, facilitating more accurate diagnoses and effective solutions. Embracing these technological advancements not only enhances the efficiency of troubleshooting processes but also contributes to overall vehicle performance and reliability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: