Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Firestar 2 Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
west1m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

Interesting talk about muffler brackets. This is what happened to me yesterday on a short flight to Amery airport. I was already in my seat when the the guy I was chatting with asked what was wrong with my muffler. It was kind of angled a bit funny.He then helped me wire it together so it wouldn't fall off and scratch up my prop..

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Broken Muffler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.99 KB
 Viewed:  4822 Time(s)

Broken Muffler.jpg

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

My shop only looks that good if I just finished cleaning for about four hours !Nice looking work

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, at 4:29 PM, william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:

Question- Is there much chance of the muffler mount cracking? Stainless?

Bill Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
On Sat, 3/23/19, loctupdave <loctupdave(at)att.net> wrote:

I haven't posted for a while, when the
weather is below 0 or even 20 the hanger is just to dang
cold to work in.
The engine is moving on. I had to order
starter o rings thanks to the oil injection leaking over the
starter and taking out the o rings. I still need to rebuild
the carbs and install the starter. I went with the
Challenger muffler mount. Here are a couple of pics.

(http://s275.photobucket.com/user/dngspot/media/front_zpszgldaco0.jpg.html)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

Funny how often that happens. Somebody discussing things that have just happened to somebody in a group, and not knowing about it.

Bill Sullivan

do not archive
On Sun, 3/24/19, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: My Firestar 2 Build
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, March 24, 2019, 6:30 PM

<west1m(at)hotmail.com>

Interesting talk about muffler
brackets. This is what happened to me yesterday on a short
flight to Amery airport. I was already in my seat when the
the guy I was chatting with asked what was wrong with my
muffler. It was kind of angled a bit funny.He then helped me
wire it together so it wouldn't fall off and scratch up my
prop..

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/broken_muffler_176.jpg

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

I don’t recommend isolating the exhaust system from the engine. I think it should be one with the engine,as tight and secure as you can make it.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2019, at 8:35 PM, william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:

Funny how often that happens. Somebody discussing things that have just happened to somebody in a group, and not knowing about it.

Bill Sullivan

do not archive
On Sun, 3/24/19, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: My Firestar 2 Build
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, March 24, 2019, 6:30 PM

<west1m(at)hotmail.com>

Interesting talk about muffler
brackets. This is what happened to me yesterday on a short
flight to Amery airport. I was already in my seat when the
the guy I was chatting with asked what was wrong with my
muffler. It was kind of angled a bit funny.He then helped me
wire it together so it wouldn't fall off and scratch up my
prop..

--------
West1m
Hastings, MN

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/broken_muffler_176.jpg

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

zeprep251(at)aol.com wrote:
I don’t recommend isolating the exhaust system from the engine. I think it should be one with the engine,as tight and secure as you can make it.

Unless your secondary goal is to get rid of vibration. Then you isolate it from the engine, keep it tight at the connections, and flexible at the mounts. Then (IMO) you have the best solution: reliability and less vibration.

The original muffler mounting on the 277 on the Firefly was set up to be tight, and it shook worse than you could imagine. We assumed it was because it was a single. Wrong. it was because the muffler was too tight.

A single cylinder engine waving that muffler back and forth 5,000 times a minute was a disaster waiting to happen. And it very nearly did: during the 45 minute ferry flight from the test field to David's hangar it broke 3 out of 4 new muffler hangars.
The first picture shows that setup with the original curlyque muffler.

The current setup is in the later pictures, there is no stress on the muffler hangars and vibration is about 90% less, and at 5500 rpm (the sweet spot for this engine) there is literally no vibration now.

The goal was to let the engine move without it also moving the muffler - or at least moving it as little as possible. So far it seems like a good plan.

Addendum: test flew the Firefly Saturday with the fan cooled 277, (the pictures show the original engine) first flight since the blackberry patch adventure last year, and it flew as nice as ever, engine ran good, but wouldn't idle right. Will be swapping the carb out today for a new one that we just happened to have. When you have a partner who has had even more U/L type airplanes over the last 30 years than you have, there seems to be no lack of spare parts...

P1060084 (Medium).jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.79 KB
 Viewed:  4789 Time(s)

P1060084 (Medium).jpeg

P1060450 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.42 KB

P1060450 (Medium).JPG

P1060451 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.5 KB

P1060451 (Medium).JPG

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jhauck36(at)outlook.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: My Firestar 2 Build Reply with quote

I use rubber hanger straps, scrounged from my local muffler shop, look like they are made from conveyor belt material, for vibration isolation for other applications, but would probably work well for an exhaust hanger.

I remember many years ago when I discovered the problem of over soft Lord Mounts on my FS/447. Thrust and torque was causing the engine to get way out of line. While down at Brother Jim's in Tallahassee, Florida, one flight, I got the bright idea of using shock absorber donuts to make up some engine mounts. Jim zipped them up with the TIG welder and I flew back to Titus, Alabama. Before I got home the entire exhaust system was disintegrating from vibration. Reckon the airframe would have been next had I had a longer flight.

Vibration is some bad stuff.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: