Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutters cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerveirapinto(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Hi there

Does anyone know if the cable that opens and close the shutters of the engine can be replaced by a marine teleflex cable?
Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Are you looking for shutter cable for CJ or Yak?  If CJ I have them in stock, if for Yak may be the same, I do not know for sure.

Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 4:49 AM Pedro Cerveira Pinto <cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com (cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi there

Does anyone know if the cable that opens and close the shutters of the engine can be replaced by a marine teleflex cable?
Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Looking for yak 52

A quinta, 28/03/2019, 13:57, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:

Quote:
Are you looking for shutter cable for CJ or Yak?  If CJ I have them in stock, if for Yak may be the same, I do not know for sure.

Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 4:49 AM Pedro Cerveira Pinto <cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com (cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi there

Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

hkgibby(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Pedro-

Yes you can;  I have for both the shutter and prop Gov control. Email me directly for more pics and details if you decide to do it. The Universal ends can take the metric chinee/Rusky metric connector as it is 10/32 which is close enough for metric M4 or M5, can’t remember. Trickiest part for the shutters is the cockpit connection and whether you keep the Chinese/Russian control knob/lever mechanism.
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/teleflex-tfxtreme-3300-33c-boat-control-cable-ccx63322-22-foot-134809?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o4&scid=scplp8201349&sc_intid=8201349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9_B0_yk4QIVwh-tBh2fCwHyEAUYBCABEgKpGvD_BwE
[img]cid:4E900DF5-DBDD-4E83-BDFE-7AEFF117427E[/img]
[img]cid:726F9A3C-51E9-46B5-AA29-54CA21DC223F[/img]
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2019, at 4:44 AM, Pedro Cerveira Pinto <cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com (cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi there

Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto
=================================== //www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  679.75 KB
 Viewed:  9536 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  667.47 KB
 Viewed:  9536 Time(s)

image2.jpeg

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Measure the OD of the tube and the overall length and give me a call  509-826-4610

Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 7:24 AM Pedro Cerveira Pinto <cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com (cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Looking for yak 52

A quinta, 28/03/2019, 13:57, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:

Quote:

Doug

Quote:
Hi there

Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

My experience says the CJ cable, even if it may have the same ends on it, will be too long because the CJ cooling louver control is on the left side of the instrument panel. Whereas the Yak 52's control lever is on the right front console. The total length of the Yak 52 cable is going to be much shorter.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 12:37:27 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Measure the OD of the tube and the overall length and give me a call  509-826-4610
Doug

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 7:24 AM Pedro Cerveira Pinto <cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com (cerveirapinto(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Are you looking for shutter cable for CJ or Yak? If CJ I have them in stock, if for Yak may be the same, I do not know for sure.
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Dennis,Good to know.  No Yaks nearby for me to check.
I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing.  As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable.  Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.
Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:

My experience says the CJ cable, even if it may have the same ends on it, will be too long because the CJ cooling louver control is on the left side of the instrument panel.  Whereas the Yak 52's control lever is on the right front console.  The total length of the Yak 52 cable is going to be much shorter.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 12:37:27 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

kingcj6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Depending on the year of manufacture, some CJ's have the control on the right side.

Dave

In a message dated 3/28/2019 11:03:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net writes:

Quote:

My experience says the CJ cable, even if it may have the same ends on it, will be too long because the CJ cooling louver control is on the left side of the instrument panel. Whereas the Yak 52's control lever is on the right front console. The total length of the Yak 52 cable is going to be much shorter.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 12:37:27 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Measure the OD of the tube and the overall length and give me a call 509-826-4610

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Are you looking for shutter cable for CJ or Yak? If CJ I have them in stock, if for Yak may be the same, I do not know for sure.

Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

"there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable,,,"
That is exactly the problem Doug.

doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> escreveu no dia quinta, 28/03/2019 à(s) 18:23:

Quote:
I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing.  As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable.  Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.
Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:

My experience says the CJ cable, even if it may have the same ends on it, will be too long because the CJ cooling louver control is on the left side of the instrument panel.  Whereas the Yak 52's control lever is on the right front console.  The total length of the Yak 52 cable is going to be much shorter.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 12:37:27 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Doug,
You absolutely hit the nail on the head regarding the sheath.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 2:21:35 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Dennis,Good to know. No Yaks nearby for me to check.
I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing.  As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable. Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Measure the OD of the tube and the overall length and give me a call 509-826-4610
Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

The sheath could be replaced with most any ridged tubing material of the proper ID/OD.  I used copper tubing which I purchased at the local hardware.

Doug
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Doug,
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 2:21:35 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

I've done exactly the same thing Doug. The real problem is removing the cable from the sheath when the sheath has been kinked badly.
McMaster Carr sells 8mm ID copper tubing.
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 3:19:03 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com> wrote:

The sheath could be replaced with most any ridged tubing material of the proper ID/OD. I used copper tubing which I purchased at the local hardware.
Doug

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Doug,
Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 2:21:35 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing. As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable.  Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

DougThanks I believe that is a proper solution.
Copper or aluminum tube depending on what we can find locally.
A quinta, 28/03/2019, 19:22, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> escreveu:

Quote:
The sheath could be replaced with most any ridged tubing material of the proper ID/OD.  I used copper tubing which I purchased at the local hardware.

Doug

Quote:

Doug,
Dennis

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Just to complicate matters further the CJ cooling (warming?) control is on both the LH front sub inst. panel and on the RH front console!

Early CJ models like mine (Batch 15, 1965/66) had it on the RH console, later models on the LH panel. When the change was made I do not know. Also should be noted that the control mechanism in the handle assy. is reversed to accommodate the different location so that item is not interchangeable.

Obviously the cable and housing lengths will be different.

Cheers;

Walt

From: A. Dennis Savarese (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net) Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:02 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Shutters cable

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52

Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

n13472(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

use a tubing cutter (small one) and piece out the tubbing. then the bent / kinked part will be a very
small section then slit it with a dermal tool cut off wheel!

Tom Elliott
CJ-6A NX63727
777 Quartz Ave
PMB 7004
Sandy Valley NV.
Cell 541-297-5497
N13472(at)AOL.COM

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 12:26 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Shutters cable

I've done exactly the same thing Doug. The real problem is removing the cable from the sheath when the sheath has been kinked badly

McMaster Carr sells 8mm ID copper tubing.

Dennis

On Thursday, March 28, 2019, 3:19:03 PM EDT, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com> wrote:

The sheath could be replaced with most any ridged tubing material of the proper ID/OD. I used copper tubing which I purchased at the local hardware.

Doug

Quote:

Doug,

Dennis

Dennis,
Good to know. No Yaks nearby for me to check.

I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing. As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable. Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:

Looking for yak 52

Quote:

Doug

Quote:

Hi there

Thanks
--
Pedro Cerveira Pinto

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

glipaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Great discussion. My previous CJ 1966 had the control on the left front panel. My new CJ 1965 has it on the right hand lower panel.
Question: I have seen a couple examples where the control knob and mechanism were replaced with a vernier style controller. Anyone have any experience with that?? I am wanting to replace mine since it is rough on the knuckles opening and closing!
Gil

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

NOW THAT I DIDN'T KNOW. 24 years I've owned my CJ and I still learn something new from you guys! Thanks Walt! Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

PS I've sold my girl. Sad

--

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Bugger is right. I had to use a grinder to thin the copper tubing to paper thin. I then used a chisel that I ground the tip down to sharp edge. The lightly skived the chisel along the thin wall splitting the cable. Usely the cable is gummed up along its shaft in the curve of the cable housing from oil and dirt. Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 28, 2019, at 1:18 PM, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have in the past fabricated a new outer sheath out of copper tubing. As I'm sure you know 99% of the time there is nothing wrong with the inner cable, the issue is that the outer sheath is kinked/dented and is binding on the inner cable or the threaded rod ends which are swaged onto both ends of the cable. Bugger is getting the old sheath off the cable without screwing it up.
Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

hill(at)doctor-hill.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

As an alternative, you can have a speedometer repair shop custom make cables for you. This is what I did for the M-14P prop governor cable and the gill shutters cable. Works better than the original control cables on the CJ. Unfortunately, not every city has a shop that offers this type of service. Something additional to consider.
Warren Hill
N464TW
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2019, at 7:00 AM, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:
Bugger is right. I had to use a grinder to thin the copper tubing to paper thin. I then used a chisel that I ground the tip down to sharp edge. The lightly skived the chisel along the thin wall splitting the cable. Usely the cable is gummed up along its shaft in the curve of the cable housing from oil and dirt. DocSent from my iPad
On Mar 28, 2019, at 1:18 PM, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Shutters cable Reply with quote

Correction: the chisel was skived parallel along the cable to split the copper housing.Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 29, 2019, at 9:00 AM, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Bugger is right. I had to use a grinder to thin the copper tubing to paper thin. I then used a chisel that I ground the tip down to sharp edge. The lightly skived the chisel along the thin wall splitting the cable. Usely the cable is gummed up along its shaft in the curve of the cable housing from oil and dirt. Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
Doug

Quote:

Dennis

Doug

Quote:
Looking for yak 52
Quote:
Doug

Quote:
Hi there
Thanks
-- Pedro Cerveira Pinto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: