Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shore power combined with LiFePO battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenryan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

I am finishing up my airplane and it is starting to sink in that I really need to spend some hours sitting in it getting used to the instrumentation (I have never used glass cockpit before this). So there is a need to sit in the airplane with shore power connected to keep from running down the EarthX battery. But I am concerned about using shore power with lithium battery technology because of their charging sensitivities. What do you guys think? Would it be okay to connect an adjustable power supply to the electrical system, with the battery in place? If so, what should I set the voltage for? The problem is that pulling the battery is a bit of a hassle and takes about a half hour. Same for installation. It would be better if I could just plug in.

Thanks, 
Ken

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

If you aren't planning on pulling the battery before going for a flight and running the alternator, I wouldn't consider pulling the battery before running a power supply on the ground. Your alternator will likely put out 13.8 - 14.5 V, set your power supply to somewhere in there and find a convenient place to plug in.

You may want to pull the field breaker, the alternator can pull a few amps and get quite hot on the ground if the bus voltage is below the regulator set voltage. My boss once unplugged a power supply from the wall while still plugged in to the aircraft with the battery master on, smoked a wire but the power supply is ok. We now have a 10A breaker in the power supply wires just in case he does it again or there is a power failure or something.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 8:38 AM Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I am finishing up my airplane and it is starting to sink in that I really need to spend some hours sitting in it getting used to the instrumentation (I have never used glass cockpit before this). So there is a need to sit in the airplane with shore power connected to keep from running down the EarthX battery. But I am concerned about using shore power with lithium battery technology because of their charging sensitivities. What do you guys think? Would it be okay to connect an adjustable power supply to the electrical system, with the battery in place? If so, what should I set the voltage for? The problem is that pulling the battery is a bit of a hassle and takes about a half hour. Same for installation. It would be better if I could just plug in.

Thanks, 
Ken

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

I would set it to whatever you expect out of your alternator.  13.8v say. The EarthX will protect itself from being overcharged. You just want the voltage high enough that you're not drawing from the battery.
--Rick
On 6/26/2019 11:32 AM, Ken Ryan wrote:

Quote:

Thanks, 

Ken

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

At 10:32 AM 6/26/2019, you wrote:
Quote:

How about a ground power connector?

alternatively . . .

How hard is it to get to the hot
side of your starter contactor?

You can clip the (+) lead from the
power supply directly to the nut
on the battery-side stud. Set the
power supply for 14v before turning
it on.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20190626124946.0608b270(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

Clips like these are good for 30+
amps and would handle your needs
nicely. Obviously, the (-) clip
goes to handy ground.

Leave ship's master switch OFF.

Bob . . .

1dc6c222.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23 KB
 Viewed:  5975 Time(s)

1dc6c222.jpg

kenryan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Your gentle reminder that the battery is not connected to the rest of the system until the master switch is turned on opens up a number of possible solutions.

Ken
On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 10:06 Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 10:32 AM 6/26/2019, you wrote:
Quote:

How about a ground power connector?

alternatively . . .

How hard is it to get to the hot
  side of your starter contactor?

You can clip the (+) lead from the
  power supply directly to the nut
  on the battery-side stud. Set the
  power supply for 14v before turning
  it on.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20190626124946.0608b270(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

Clips like these are good for 30+
  amps and would handle your needs
  nicely. Obviously, the (-) clip
  goes to handy ground.

Leave ship's master switch OFF.

Bob . . .

1dc6c222.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23 KB
 Viewed:  5975 Time(s)

1dc6c222.jpg

ashleysc(at)broadstripe.n

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

Hi Ken;
Check out Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH which is a 4 and battery charger/maintainer that is selectable for conventional or lithium iron batteries. I have a lithium iron battery in my aircraft while wiring that is continually plugged into this charger. Battery seems happy. Allows me to do testing as I add each circuit.
Cheers! Stu.
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:32:37 AM
Subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery

Thanks,
Ken

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

Hard to say without knowing how your electrical system is configured.  You could have a charge cord permanently connected to your battery.   I secured mine so that its accessible from the oil filler door.  Plug in a standard Lithium charger (not the balance charger) while you're playing with the glass.  Turn all non essential stuff off and pull breakers.  If you have an "essential bus", the EFIS should be on the Ebus and then you can turn the master contacter off saving an amp or so.
Bevan
On 6/27/2019 8:34 PM, ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net) wrote:

Quote:
Hi Ken;
Check out Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH which is a 4 and battery charger/maintainer that is selectable for conventional or lithium iron batteries. I have a lithium iron battery in my aircraft while wiring that is continually plugged into this charger. Battery seems happy. Allows me to do testing as I add each circuit.
Cheers!   Stu.

From: "Ken Ryan" <keninalaska(at)gmail.com> (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:32:37 AM
Subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery

Thanks, 

Ken

--
Bevan Tomm
Senior Technician
Fraser Valley Alarm Services Inc.
bevan(at)fvas.bc.ca (bevan(at)fvas.bc.ca)
office 604-854-2994
Fax 604-852-6408
Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

At 10:34 PM 6/27/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken;
Cheers! Stu.

This device is not a 'ground power' source of energy.
Ken needs a current limited, voltage regulated
laboratory or bench supply that emulates his alternator/
battery system.

Here's a couple of examples:

https://tinyurl.com/y2nb5gyv

https://tinyurl.com/y4taw7rc

https://tinyurl.com/yytdzdvg

These are suited for powering up the bus
with the ship's battery and alternator
OFF line.

Bob . . .

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

Ken,
I was in the same position when I was finishing up my airplane. I did two things that might work for you, too.
First, I simply hooked up my plane's battery. I removed all of the fuses to the devices which did not need power. Then I turned on the master. That battery would run the EFIS for longer than I wanted to sit in the cockpit in the garage (mine happens to be lead acid but I expect your LiFePO will do the same). When I was not using the battery to power the airplane, I hooked up a charger and recharged it.
Second, I found that my MGL iEFIS has a very good emulator. I loaded that onto my laptop and found that it was way more comfortable to sit in my armchair in my air conditioned living room and play with the emulator than it was to sit in the cockpit. It became my primary means of learning my EFIS. You didn't say which brand of EFIS you have but perhaps you can get some similar software.
Maybe one or both of those ideas will work for you. They had the advantage of being simple and not requiring me to buy anything which is not useful for a long time (well past the time required to build the airplane). The only thing that I bought was a battery charger and, since I have a lead acid batter, that came from the local auto parts store. I don't know what you need for your LeFePO battery but presumably a charger is less expensive than a regulated power supply.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Thanks, 
Ken

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Pray as if everything depends on God. Act as if everything depends on you.

kenryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. I created a non existent problem when I failed to make the obvious observation that if the master is not close d the battery is out of the picture, and so all I need to do is to connect my power supply to a point downstream from the battery contactor, as Bob pointed out. That's easy. I'm going to look for a Dynon Skyview emulator. That's the best solution to this particular problem.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019, 03:24 Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 10:34 PM 6/27/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken;
Cheers!   Stu.

battery system.

OFF line.

Bob . . .

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:

battery system.

OFF line.

Bob . . .

Resurecting a thread, would something like this be suitable for powering the electronics in the hangar with the other electrical equipment "off line"?
https://tinyurl.com/y5jtl725
John

Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: shore power combined with LiFePO battery Reply with quote

On 12/8/2020 4:06 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Resurecting a thread, would something like this be suitable for powering the electronics in the hangar with the other electrical equipment "off line"?
https://tinyurl.com/y5jtl725
John

Yeah . . . sort of. Waayy back when I had
   a good source for the line of Samlex fixed
   voltage, overload protected "bricks",
   I think I was able to offer a 14v switchmode
   power supply good for 20A for under $100 . . .
   but that's putting a stretch on the gray matter.

How about spending a few more $ and getting
   a piece of test equipment. Here's  fully
   instrumented, adjustable supply good for
   a lot more snort.

https://tinyurl.com/y2q2v37h

It's on sale for the next week or so. I
   have several supplies of this genre' that
   have been helpful in recent battery performance
   studies.

Best yet, this supply gives you a real-time
   suite of values on the load. You can set
   it for 14.5v, max current and clip it in
   place of the ship's battery. Everything
   up to and including 10A of load is characterized.
   You can MEASURED real time operating loads
   of the ship's electro-whizzies.

After the project it finished, it becomes
   valuable bench test tool. I've got more
   power supplies than any other class of
   tool. They range from a 30V 0.25A current
   limited HP supply that came off my bench at Numec
   in 1964.

Big daddy is a 40V/40A HP 'boat anchor' I got for cheap
   off eBay probably 30 years ago . . . still
   works great. I'm getting ready to move it
   from my electronics bench in the house
   out to the mess-making shop where I have
   a 240v feeder that will allow me to access
   the supply's full capabilities.

The short answer is: For a few dollars more
   you can acquire a test tool with a lot more
   present and future value than the "brick".

Bob . . .
I bought this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/RoMech-30V-Power-Supply-Variable/dp/B081SKNHTV/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=5h-S.3NU5Fhc1ep7Q0UrxQ&hsa_cr_id=8827375660301&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0
with different branding (probably from ebay) a couple of years ago, and have been happy with it. You can probably find it for closer to $55 if you search. Voltage is a direct display; amps displays actual current but can be limited with the knobs. I just marked knob positions to get myself in the ballpark when I want to limit current.

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: