Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

Can someone PLEASE help me identify this starter solenoid and then I can get a schematic of it?

There is not marking numbers on it that I can see without removing it from the engine compartment (kind of a tight fit)..

I think it is a Wells 490F however I cannot determine it for sure.

I just had the engine out and all of the engine compartment wiring. It worked before just fine.

It is installed it so that the left large post is connected to the master switched power bus source and the right post is connected to the starter motor.

With that being said, I connected the starter switch wire to the left small post (the small post closest to the large powered post) and the starter indicator light to the right small post (closest to the starter motor post) and it did not start…

I then reversed the small wires so that the starter switch wire now goes to the right small post (the one closest to the starter motor post) and the indicator light is now connected to the left small post (the one closest to the powered bus) and the starter and indicator light work as expected. So I would normally be happy however it seems to be backwards from what I expected…plus I do not know what direction to run my diode.

The questions now are:

-Is this the proper way to wire up this solenoid (I would have expected the starter switch wire should be connected to the post that is closest to the power supply and the indicator wire would be closest to the post that goes to the starter motor)?

-What direction do I connect the diode (from the ground to the right small post with the silver band pointed toward the right small post)?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Solenoid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.27 KB
 Viewed:  3136 Time(s)

Solenoid.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

On 10/9/2019 7:32 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Can someone PLEASE help me identify this starter solenoid and then I can get a schematic of it?

There is not marking numbers on it that I can see without removing it from the engine compartment (kind of a tight fit)..

I think it is a Wells 490F however I cannot determine it for sure.

I just had the engine out and all of the engine compartment wiring.  It worked before just fine.

It is installed it so that the left large post is connected to the master switched power bus source and the right post is connected to the starter motor. 

With that being said, I connected the starter switch wire to the left small post (the small post closest to the large powered post) and the starter indicator light to the right small post (closest to the starter motor post) and it did not start…

I then reversed the small wires so that the starter switch wire now goes to the right small post (the one closest to the starter motor post) and the indicator light is now connected to the left small post (the one closest to the powered bus) and the starter and indicator light work as expected.  So I would normally be happy however it seems to be backwards from what I expected…plus I do not know what direction to run my diode.

The questions now are:

-Is this the proper way to wire up this solenoid (I would have expected the starter switch wire should be connected to the post that is closest to the power supply and the indicator wire would be closest to the post that goes to the starter motor)?

-What direction do I connect the diode (from the ground to the right small post with the silver band pointed toward the right small post)?

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Easiest way to check for proper control terminal is to use an ohm meter. Black to frame, red to each small terminal in turn. The terminal for the light should show open circuit; the terminal for the switched B+ (control) should read some relatively low resistance, near zero ohms.

Here's a link to one of Bob's instructional pdfs, but unfortunately, it doesn't show the switched (light) terminal. That terminal gets tied to the two 'fat' terminals when the contactor is activated; it should be 'floating' (open circuit to all other terminals) when the contactor is deactivated.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/strtctr.pdf

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

The banded end of arc suppression diodes always connects to positive.
For this contactor, connect the banded end to the small terminal that gets positive voltage from the start switch. Connect the other end of the diode to ground.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

THANK YOU very much Joe, Charlie, and Bob. Greatly appreciate the info!!!

Bill

--

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

Found them!!!

As in the picture Bob sent...the S and I letters are on the downward facing
boss under the terminals. I could not see them from above and I had to
remove some components and sneak up on them from underneath to be able to
read them...I could not even get my head wedged in there so I could see them
with my glasses on so I had to wedge my phone in there to make a picture (I
use this same picture taking technique to read menus at restaurants
nowadays).

Bob, it looks like that is the same solenoid that I have. Do you have a
manufacturer and part number for that unit?

The next important question I have is...on my installation the big post on
the left is the powered bus and the big post on the right is the post that
gets wired to the starter motor...Since the S post is on the right side that
would lead me to believe that the big post on the right should be the
powered bus...does it really matter what big post goes to what???

--

Solenoid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.79 KB
 Viewed:  3116 Time(s)

Solenoid.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Starter Solenoid??? Reply with quote

Quote:
.does it really matter what big post goes to what?
The starter will work either way. However, the indicator light could remain on if wired backwards, depending on the internal connections.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: