Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z11 field supply circuit protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first E-mail to the list. I've done some searches but came up empty for answers. I'm finalizing the electrical schematic for my RV-7 build, which is very loosely based on the AeroElectric Z11 example. Single alternator, LR-3 regulator. A few questions:

1. Z-11 shows the field supply circuit running from the fuse block stud through a 22AWG fusable link, through the battery/alt switch, through a 5A circuit breaker, and ending up at the voltage regulator (pin 6). Since the circuit is protected by the 5A breaker, what is the purpose of the fusable link, and what are the negative consequences of omitting the fusable link?

2. Should current drawn through the above circuit be considered for the purpose of load analysis to help me choose the right size alternator? If so, what range of currents should I expect through it?

3. Same question for the bus voltage sense (pin 3) on the regulator. Does that draw significantly current?

Thank you!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

1. The purpose of the fuselink is to protect the wire between the main power
bus and the circuit breaker. If that wire is very short and installed with good
workmanship and the chances of shorting to ground are slim, then you could
eliminate the fuselink.
2. Yes, the field current needs to be considered. The current depends on the
alternator size and the alternator load. 3 amps is a guess.
3. Voltage sense current is insignificant.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

On 7/27/2020 6:22 PM, draker wrote:
Quote:

Hi, this is my first E-mail to the list. I've done some searches but came up empty for answers. I'm finalizing the electrical schematic for my RV-7 build, which is very loosely based on the AeroElectric Z11 example. Single alternator, LR-3 regulator. A few questions:

1. Z-11 shows the field supply circuit running from the fuse block stud through a 22AWG fusable link, through the battery/alt switch, through a 5A circuit breaker, and ending up at the voltage regulator (pin 6). Since the circuit is protected by the 5A breaker, what is the purpose of the fusable link, and what are the negative consequences of omitting the fusable link?

2. Should current drawn through the above circuit be considered for the purpose of load analysis to help me choose the right size alternator? If so, what range of currents should I expect through it?

3. Same question for the bus voltage sense (pin 3) on the regulator. Does that draw significantly current?

Thank you!

I had similar questions, back when I first started studying the Z drawings.

The key thing to remember is that fuses (links, etc) always protect the
downstream wire from the current source. Without the link, the path from
buss to breaker is unprotected.

Your next question (or at least mine was) is the why of the various wire
sizes. The link is the smallest wire size that's reasonable for physical
ruggedness. Wire steps up 4 sizes so the link can do its job. After the
breaker, it can step back down to what the 5A breaker can protect.

The alternator ultimately must 'pay back' the energy used to drive its
field, so, yes.

There should be negligible current on the sense wire.

Have fun,

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

johnbright

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

Bob speaks briefly about alternator field current in the fourth post at http://forum.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=16775302

BTW: Are you aware the latest Z dwg revs are in the Adobe... folder at http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/

N1921R links
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

Quote:

The alternator ultimately must 'pay back' the energy used to drive its field, so, yes.

Alternator nameplate ratings account for internal
demands of the field winding and are not part
of your load analysis.

At low rpm and high loads, the field CAN be
on the order of 3A. At cruise on a lycoming
I've seen it as low as 1A. But it's not
a part of your energy management concerns.

Bob . . .

draker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

Thank you, very informative answer. I erroneously assumed that a breaker or fuse protected the whole circuit, not just what's downstream from it. Rookie mistake.

About the field supply current: It makes sense that if the field current draw is accounted for by the alternator's advertised output, then you wouldn't include it in your energy management calculations. Question is, how do you know if a particular alternator accounts for it? Is this standard alternator marketing practice? Do B&C alternators account for it? Will I get 40A out of a 40 or will I get 40A minus field current?

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

An alternator rated output is a nominal value, not an exact value. As the load
is increased, the alternator will increase its output to supply the demand. If
the load demands more than the alternator's rated output, the alternator
might still supply the current, but the voltage will start to sag as the load gets
larger. When the alternator voltage sags down to battery voltage, then the
battery will also supply current to the load.
Modern avionics and LED lights do not draw much current. My RV-12 needs
less than 10 amps. Of course heated pitot tubes and electric seats use more.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Z11 field supply circuit protection Reply with quote

At 09:36 PM 7/28/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "draker" <ryan-ae(at)existens.org>

Thank you, very informative answer. I erroneously assumed that a breaker or fuse protected the whole circuit, not just what's downstream from it. Rookie mistake.

About the field supply current: It makes sense that if the field
current draw is accounted for by the alternator's advertised
output, then you wouldn't include it in your energy management
calculations.

Consider the internally regulated alternator
wherein field current is supplied INTERNALLY.
The nameplate rating would be that current
available at the b-terminal irrespective of
that which is consumed internally. So bringing
the field lead out to accommodate an external
regulator doesn't change the overall energy
picture.

Quote:
Question is, how do you know if a particular alternator
accounts for it? Is this standard alternator marketing practice?
Do B&C alternators account for it? Will I get 40A out of a 40
or will I get 40A minus field current?

Standard practice. You're guaranteed the nameplate
rating under worst case operations (lowest rpm for
full output combined with max rated internal temperatures).

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: