Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valid test for voltage regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Valid test for voltage regulator Reply with quote

I got a regulator off of Amazon that matches the generator I'm adding. Wanted to test its exact set point to make sure I don't kill another LiFePO battery.
I connected an adjustable power supply to the two-prong input, and tracked the voltage between the single output lead and the aluminum case as I cranked up the supply.  The output tracked the input all the way up and past the 14.7V advertised regulation point. At 20.5V, the limit of my supplies capability, there was 19.8V between the output lead and the regulator case. I added a light as a small load, and got the same results.
Would I embarrass myself for leaving a review that this is a regulator that doesn't regulate? Granted, the input expects an AC voltage, and I'm giving it DC, but shouldn't it still regulate the output to something close to the nominal voltage?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Valid test for voltage regulator Reply with quote

On 8/11/2020 3:09 PM, Ernest Christley wrote:

Quote:
I got a regulator off of Amazon that matches the generator I'm adding. Wanted to test its exact set point to make sure I don't kill another LiFePO battery.

I connected an adjustable power supply to the two-prong input, and tracked the voltage between the single output lead and the aluminum case as I cranked up the supply.  The output tracked the input all the way up and past the 14.7V advertised regulation point.  At 20.5V, the limit of my supplies capability, there was 19.8V between the output lead and the regulator case.  I added a light as a small load, and got the same results.

Would I embarrass myself for leaving a review that this is a regulator that doesn't regulate?  Granted, the input expects an AC voltage, and I'm giving it DC, but shouldn't it still regulate the output to something close to the nominal voltage?

Is it for a dynamo (PM alternator)? If yes, try hooking it up to something that *is* AC. Quick & dirty source might be an old school door bell transformer, or the transformer that powers older natural gas furnaces. Both are usually 24V AC.

If you look at some of the diagrams that have been posted recently for rectifier/regulators (ex: the Revmaster diagrams),  some of them show one end of the dynamo winding tied directly to the DC bus.

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Valid test for voltage regulator Reply with quote

At 03:09 PM 8/11/2020, you wrote:
Quote:

What brand/model of battery?

Quote:
I connected an adjustable power supply to the two-prong input, and tracked the voltage between the single output lead and the aluminum case as I cranked up the supply. The output tracked the input all the way up and past the 14.7V advertised regulation point. At 20.5V, the limit of my supplies capability, there was 19.8V between the output lead and the regulator case. I added a light as a small load, and got the same results.

Would I embarrass myself for leaving a review that this is a regulator that doesn't regulate? Granted, the input expects an AC voltage, and I'm giving it DC, but shouldn't it still regulate the output to something close to the nominal voltage?

The RECTIFIER/regulator is an AC driven
device. It turns ON by triggering a silicon
controlled rectifier which STAYS on until
the AC wave form passes through zero volts
at the end of the half-cycle.

It's unlikely that you're going to 'kill'
a battery with a in-situ test of this
regulator. It may prove to regulate
a bit higher or lower than optimum . . .
but if your battery features a BMS,
then 'optimum' is about a barn-door
wide.

Bob . . .

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Valid test for voltage regulator Reply with quote

I'm the one with the "Scorpion" battery. No BMS.
Well, I may be overstating the case. It does look like it has a network of connections to balance the cells. But there is no facility to remove the input voltage.

I'll rig up a way to mount the generator in the lathe this evening, and put the regulator in a more realistic test.
Charlie, I ohmed the leads out, and none of them seem to be tied directly to ground.

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 6:48:31 PM EDT, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

At 03:09 PM 8/11/2020, you wrote:
Quote:

What brand/model of battery?

Quote:
I connected an adjustable power supply to the two-prong input, and tracked the voltage between the single output lead and the aluminum case as I cranked up the supply. The output tracked the input all the way up and past the 14.7V advertised regulation point. At 20.5V, the limit of my supplies capability, there was 19.8V between the output lead and the regulator case. I added a light as a small load, and got the same results.

The RECTIFIER/regulator is an AC driven
device. It turns ON by triggering a silicon
controlled rectifier which STAYS on until
the AC wave form passes through zero volts
at the end of the half-cycle.

It's unlikely that you're going to 'kill'
a battery with a in-situ test of this
regulator. It may prove to regulate
a bit higher or lower than optimum . . .
but if your battery features a BMS,
then 'optimum' is about a barn-door
wide.

Bob . . .

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Valid test for voltage regulator Reply with quote

At 09:09 AM 8/12/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
I'm the one with the "Scorpion" battery. No BMS.
Well, I may be overstating the case. It does look like it has a network of
connections to balance the cells. But there is no facility to remove the input voltage.

That comports with other bare-foot lithium
offers I've seen. They bring out taps between
the stacks of cells to allow installation
of either (a) and external balance network
or (2) lithium specific battery chartger that
includes a balancing feature.
Quote:

I'll rig up a way to mount the generator in the lathe this evening,
and put the regulator in a more realistic test.

Sounds like a plan.

Photo-document your setup and share results!

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: