Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument Panels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_hunter1664

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panels Reply with quote

Just wanted to share this to see if it might be useful for anyone else. I'm in the process of designing my instrument panels for my Europa XS tri-gear. I bought aluminium panels from Europa as a mod kit and hacked away at them and made an OK job. However, I have now changed the design layout and need a new set of panels to hack at! As I can see this being a bit of an iterative process I decided I would prototype them using my 3D printer.

I have created the panels in Fusion360 and can manipulate them as much as I like, print them to check and when I'm happy with the layout I can export the files from Fusion360 to get them laser cut. Worth the effort of modelling them, saved a lot of time and effort so If anyone wants the cad files I’m happy to share.

Stay safe. Alan

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

CAD Shot.jpg
 Description:
CAD Files
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  2796 Time(s)

CAD Shot.jpg

Europa Instrument Panel Right.jpg
 Description:
Panel Printing
 Filesize:  235.09 KB
 Viewed:  2796 Time(s)

Europa Instrument Panel Right.jpg

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panels Reply with quote

great idea Alan. Make me wonder if using a more robust 3D printing process such as the HP multifusion an actual useable 3D printed panel could be made. I think I would like to give that a try. So yes, if you can share the files I would appreciate that. Can you export them to DWG or DXF ? (so that they work with the CAD packages I have).

Best Regards,
Chris Martin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Wighton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panels Reply with quote

Chris,

We were looking at STC for Cert aircraft - using 3D printing as a manufacturing method. The cost was very high (even with our own printer). Making new or replacing old saggy panel coamings and adaptable panel fascias (in ABS or PETG) is possible for experimental aircraft though.

My Europa panel is one-piece and the single biggest regret in 11 years of ownership is not making a segmented version of the panel.

Printing ribs and stand-off (plus all the mounting holes, etc) means you gain a great deal of stiffness and the end result has a lower mass. Being able to add depth (both fwd and aft of the panel baseline datum) is a bonus - especially if you are fitting deep avionics (like an SL30 which stick out of the centre panel by about an inch.

As I now have a panel layout I like (mainly steam but with 2 off D10A) I will make 3D printed panel sections ready for retrofit.

Some info on the material others are using would be useful to the group.

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panels Reply with quote

John, Yes, cost is a big consideration. I will quote some of these panels to see how it looks as well as some alternative like routed plastic.

My original panel design was segmented but due to cost and laziness just went for hole sawed holes (which was so quick and easy to do) and for now the idea is to create several overlays that are covered in the new CF lookalike wrap materials. My LongEZ has the overlay covered with real CF but that is kind of time consuming. The nice thing though is that transfer labels are placed in the CF and then clear coated and it looks amazing.

My plan is to update the panel in the near future and maybe I can use the 3D printed idea but, its just that right now, and idea.

I attach pictures of my panel design and what it looks like now. When I add the overlays it will look somewhat like the model.

And yes, my goal was to be spartan on the panel (and airplane in general). It's fully modular, a few connectors and off it comes. no wires visible in the cockpit, strictly VFR, navigation via tablet, Garmin 436 to drive AP.

When funds become available probably replace VS and ALT with round EFIS such as the AV-30 to make the panel simpler and lighter (I kind of like the round instrument look).

Chris

210121_Current Panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.38 KB
 Viewed:  2712 Time(s)

210121_Current Panel.jpg

panel_with_ifly_2_492.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.45 KB
 Viewed:  2712 Time(s)

panel_with_ifly_2_492.jpg

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panels Reply with quote

Hi Alan. Could you forward your files to me so I can use them to redesign my panel.
My email address is spcialeffects(at)aol.com

Many thanks
Frank X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: