Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Momentary Power Loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stressmerchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Momentary Power Loss Reply with quote

I had a little heart-stopping moment on a routine flight yesterday. I was at about 2,000 ft on cruise settings when the engine very briefly cut, and then resumed as if nothing had happened. No warning, no odd behaviour afterwards, just a second of no power. The same thing happened about 5 minutes later, although I had the impression that the second time the power did not die completely, just cut back and then resumed.

CHT, Oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure all normal.

Some searching through the archives here suggests that it could be the coils starting to go. I did wonder about carb icing, but the inlet temp was above freezing.

The aircraft is due for annual maintenance next week, so if something needs changing this would be a good time to do it.

Any ideas about other potential causes?

Thanks
Mike

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Momentary Power Loss Reply with quote

I have to begin by saying that I'm completely biased on this topic, but this symptom is extremely common and quite specifically caused by a breakdown of the capacitor inside the coil through a combination of heat and age. The symptoms you describe are absolutely typical, although no one has ever been able to explain why the whole engine momentarily stops, given that one presumably has one good coil and magneto. But it does! And if you continue to fly, it will slowly get worse until the engine will completely stop for several seconds, always after he to soak through to the magneto so typically after 25/30 minutes of flight. As I wrote, we are biased since we have, after a lot of research, developed a totally new coil with an external capacitor so does not have this problem of the capacitor overheating inside the coil of hotwire and indeed for which we have obtain full certification from EASA (European FAA) for these coils. We have them in stock with John Warwick of the YakCollection in San Diego to avoid excessive courier costs from Europe. I have also prepared a more detailed paper on this topic and can send it to anyone if you ask us by email.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Momentary Power Loss Reply with quote

Richard is 100% correct.  You have one of the coils going TU.  The
symptom typically occurs between 20 and 40 minutes of the flight. When
the coil fails, the engine seems to stop for "one heart beat" and then
picks up again.  If the CHT starts to approach 200C, the coil will fail
more frequently.  The only way I have ever been able to duplicate the
symptom is to purposely get the engine very hot on the ground by running
it with the cooling louvers closed and watch the engine temps increase.
There is no guarantee on the coil failing.  But I was able to make a
suspicious coil fail by doing this .When the engine first begins to
misfire, turn the mag switch to 1 or 2 and determine which mag is
failing.  Then replace the coil in the suspect mag.  Quite honestly,
save yourself a lot of trouble and just bite the bullet and buy 2 new
coils from Richard or the Yak Collection.

As far as pressure carburetor icing, yes it can happen.  Here's a great
article and graph which shows the temperature and dew points where
carburetor icing can occur, including pressure carburetors. What I found
most interesting was the VERY small window for pressure carburetor
icing. https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/systems/carb-ice/

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182
www.yak-52.com

On 8/30/2021 7:44 AM, Richard Goode wrote:
[quote]

I have to begin by saying that I'm completely biased on this topic, but this symptom is extremely common and quite specifically caused by a breakdown of the capacitor inside the coil through a combination of heat and age. The symptoms you describe are absolutely typical, although no one has ever been able to explain why the whole engine momentarily stops, given that one presumably has one good coil and magneto. But it does! And if you continue to fly, it will slowly get worse until the engine will completely stop for several seconds, always after he to soak through to the magneto so typically after 25/30 minutes of flight. As I wrote, we are biased since we have, after a lot of research, developed a totally new coil with an external capacitor so does not have this problem of the capacitor overheating inside the coil of hotwire and indeed for which we have obtain full certification from EASA (European FAA) for these coils. We have them in stock with John Warwick of the YakCol!
lection in San Diego to avoid excessive courier costs from Europe. I have also prepared a more detailed paper on this topic and can send it to anyone if you ask us by email.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: