Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator Field Failure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmrjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

I have an O200 with a TCM 633661 alternator and Zeftronics R15V00 Rev. A regulator. On my last flight charging to the bus/battery stopped. After replacing the regulator with a know good one and still no charging I started to follow the Zeftronic installation/trouble shooting instructions. Checking the resistance for the field resulted in infinite resistance from the field terminal to ground whereas the instructions indicated 3.5-6 ohm is normal resistance. I'm assuming this would indicate a break in the field wiring and hence no charging or could the problem be something else?. If so, is this repairable? Are there alternative alternators (certificated airplane) if replacement is necessary? Thanks, John

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

At 07:37 PM 1/2/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com>

I have an O200 with a TCM 633661 alternator and Zeftronics R15V00 Rev. A regulator. On my last flight charging to the bus/battery stopped. After replacing the regulator with a know good one and still no charging I started to follow the Zeftronic installation/trouble shooting instructions. Checking the resistance for the field resulted in infinite resistance from the field terminal to ground whereas the instructions indicated 3.5-6 ohm is normal resistance. I'm assuming this would indicate a break in the field wiring and hence no charging or could the problem be something else?. If so, is this repairable? Are there alternative alternators (certificated airplane) if replacement is necessary? Thanks, John

There are carbon brushes that ride on slip
rings to conduct output from the regulator to
the moving field coil. These are a service-life
limited part . . . they wear out.

Since this is a TC aircraft, regs require
service by a 'qualified' facility. But if
you're adventuresome, you could disassemble
it for inspection and see what the brushes
look like.

A spec-rebuilt alternator is breathtakingly
expensive . . . over $1500

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

Quote:

What kind of airplane? How is it used?

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

Hmmm....Isn't that TCM alternator essentially a Ford unit ...??.
I believe standard Ford parts will fix most anything in the unit., 
I also suspect that if you took it to any alternator shop and said it was out of your boat or tractor, that they would go through it, test and replace parts for a fraction of the cost.
D
On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 7:22 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 07:37 PM 1/2/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com (faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com)>

I have an O200 with a TCM 633661 alternator and Zeftronics R15V00 Rev. A regulator.  On my last flight charging to the bus/battery stopped.  After replacing the regulator with a know good one and still no charging I started to follow the Zeftronic installation/trouble shooting instructions.  Checking the resistance for the field resulted in infinite resistance from the field terminal to ground whereas the instructions indicated 3.5-6 ohm is normal resistance.  I'm assuming this would indicate a break in the field wiring and hence no charging or could the problem be something else?. If so, is this repairable?  Are there alternative alternators (certificated airplane) if replacement is necessary?  Thanks, John

There are carbon brushes that ride on slip
  rings to conduct output from the regulator to
  the moving field coil. These are a service-life
  limited part . . . they wear out.

Since this is a TC aircraft, regs require
  service by a 'qualified' facility. But if
  you're adventuresome, you could disassemble
  it for inspection and see what the brushes
  look like.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

At 03:40 PM 1/3/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm....
Isn't that TCM alternator essentially a Ford unit ...??.
I believe standard Ford parts will fix most anything in the unit.,Â
I also suspect that if you took it to any alternator shop and said it was out of your boat or tractor, that they would go through it, test and replace parts for a fraction of the cost.

That works sometimes . . . problem is that the front
end bell obviously mates with an aircraft engine.
Some folks have claimed that the engine was on
an airboat. Or simply took bad parts from the
afflicted device down to the local service facility
in search of 'matches'.

Some years ago a reader found the Lester number
for a stock automotive alternator with the same
internal guts as his TCM alternator. It was cheaper
to buy a reman alternator over the counter to
part out than to buy holy-watered parts.

If the alternator in question DOES have worn
out brushes, you may find suitable matches
at an overhaul shop. Bearings are no big deal
either . . . easily sourced from lots of places.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

Thanks all. My mechanic will be at the hangar on Wednesday. The engine/alternator are on an Alon A2. Is it necessary to pull the left magneto to remove the alternator? I think we have a lead on a shop for an IRAN vs. replacement, although I wouldn't mind a lighter weight unit to save a pound or two. John

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

As an alternative it looks like Plane Power has an alternative via STC SA10921SC using the ER14-50 alternator. That comes with its own regulator. Would the Zeftronic R15V00 Rev. A work?

WebPage-3.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WebPage-3.pdf
 Filesize:  2.83 MB
 Downloaded:  128 Time(s)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Alternator Field Failure? Reply with quote

At 10:13 PM 1/3/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com>

As an alternative it looks like Plane Power has an alternative via STC SA10921SC using the ER14-50 alternator. That comes with its own regulator. Would the Zeftronic R15V00 Rev. A work?

Yes

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: