Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

Messed up the date on previous thread. So, starting new thread.

Jim

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

Let me try to break the ice here by posting something.

Last weekend I went to an EAA breakfast at 9FL1. Nice flight. Grass runway (the reason I build my Europa). Tall trees at the approach end made for an interesting approach in the slippery Europa (most people had issues).

Some pictures attached.

My neighbor Alan Burrows, just three houses from mine, is back from England and seems interested in getting his nice Europa back in the air. I hope he does. It would be nice to see a Europa in the air and not from the cockpit. His is a tri-gear and I know it has been featured in some of the older Europa magazines.

Best Regards,
Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

IMG_0579.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  818.3 KB
 Viewed:  1460 Time(s)

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0574 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

IMG_0574 (1).JPG

IMG_0576 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

IMG_0576 (1).JPG

Area-51

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

Utter devastation this week; whole region went under water for a few days; Lismore airfield 4m over its highest mound pictured below; all aircraft and hangars destroyed; Andy living at the field had enough time to grab his laptop and a handful of clothes before the water went up to the rooftop; only one airfield in the area survived the highest floods on record... very very sad sight driving around seeing peoples homes lining the streets of mud... very sad... still no communications networks functioning; had to drive an hour to access the world today...

So while all around was being ravaged by nature I was sitting in my offgrid home, unaffected other than having a wild amazonian torrent ripping my driveway to pieces and cleaning out the creek banks, i could do nothing but sit in front of the console and play with the digital europa while drinking ballantines and coffee; crunching numbers; trying different things out around the airframe and sending it to fully developed stalls, approach configurations, ground effect, and adding leading edge slats, playing with the engine cowl and main gear fairings. Its been a very exciting and focused week of flood driven isolation!!!

So far the digital model’s aerodynamic performance is aligned to real life actuals; so very happy with the results...

To answer Bud’s question raised about seeing what may happen flying with full up elevator trim applied, the numbers indicate this would be an advantage on a short field approach while maintaining a high nose attitude and enough power to remain behind the drag curve above and not below 60kt. With cruise power applied the numbers indicate a controlled stall landing; so rate of decent would be greater than normal and appears you would have no additional back travel on the control stick... it will be interesting to see what Bud’s adventure actually delivers. The electronic brain could be totally wrong!!!

B5FC4D5D-2740-4B32-8AC1-7D401F1FC2BC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.32 KB
 Viewed:  1439 Time(s)

B5FC4D5D-2740-4B32-8AC1-7D401F1FC2BC.jpeg

EC4F88D9-6D87-4D82-AEEA-E58AD52E0205.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.63 KB

EC4F88D9-6D87-4D82-AEEA-E58AD52E0205.jpeg

B217600C-983D-4D88-AF2C-59493D6AC6AF.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.37 KB

B217600C-983D-4D88-AF2C-59493D6AC6AF.jpeg

5C2920F4-9BC0-4544-A2CD-54E4AFC7341B.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.47 KB

5C2920F4-9BC0-4544-A2CD-54E4AFC7341B.jpeg

B9ACED60-D86F-4708-8E5A-B5B690B58325.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.68 KB

B9ACED60-D86F-4708-8E5A-B5B690B58325.jpeg

B44BF99E-24CD-457D-946B-B9976AD56103.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.79 KB

B44BF99E-24CD-457D-946B-B9976AD56103.jpeg

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

We managed to get a short first flight for 2022 on Friday. The snow melted and it was sunny and pleasant.

Saturday we discovered that the brake pads were a little worn and the piston was cocked in the caliper which explained why the brakes were marginal the previous day. All corrected now.

Today, Monday, its cold and we have had rain, sleet and snow this morning. There's about an inch of snow accumulated.

Jim

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

Jim,I reconditioned my brakes the other day after a complete failure. About 20 years use, which is good, with some fluid replacements through the years. Removed the master brake cylinder top screw cap, drain brake fluid, disconnecting the brake tube and removed the complete unit. Replaced the o-ring and spring rubber seal. Most important to use rubber grease to get new o-ring and seal back, seated correctly. Reinstalled the master cylinder and connect brake tube.
Then dismantled the Europa brake calipar, disconnecting the tube, removed the calipar from the disc, remove the piston and replaced the brake pads and piston o-ring. Reinstalled the piston using rubber grease to seat it probably, making sure it moves evenly. Then reinstalled the calipar onto the brake disc and lock wired. Primed it from the tyre end with an oil can and plastic tube, forcing brake fluid up into master cylinder until overflowing, which you see from below, and then replaced master brake cylinder screw cap. Exercise brake lever then redo priming to get all the air out and “hey presto” a new brake. Very satisfying. Luckily had a local Brake shop that had the o-rings and spring rubber seal and did the new pads.
For what it’s worth.
Tim
Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 8/03/2022, at 6:23 AM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <butcher43(at)att.net>

We managed to get a short first flight for 2022 on Friday. The snow melted and it was sunny and pleasant.

Saturday we discovered that the brake pads were a little worn and the piston was cocked in the caliper which explained why the brakes were marginal the previous day. All corrected now.

Today, Monday, its cold and we have had rain, sleet and snow this morning. There's about an inch of snow accumulated.

Jim

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=506256#506256

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/28 - 3/7 Reply with quote

Trying to hunt down an interesting (concerning?) cruise resonance. Eliminating any unbalanced prop contribution using the very nice piece of kit from Smart Avionics, the PB40 using dual two axis accelerometers (i also have his smartass in both my planes).

Having used the dynavib in the past, i find the pb40 provides much more info, including spectrums, and the two accelerometers allows me to measure in all axis’, including torsional resonances. Still digesting the differences when the resonance kicks off.

I did find that short-run ground balancing isn't good enough to get a consistent result, and the dynamics in flight also appear to effect the results. So fly with it i did.

Cheers,
Pete

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.67 KB
 Viewed:  1365 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.65 KB

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.23 KB

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102 KB

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.4 KB

image4.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: