Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Monitor - Homebuilt Style...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymeyer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Engine Monitor - Homebuilt Style... Reply with quote

So, this came up in another thread and I was asked to share... Plan is to write it up for Sport Aviation, but this group has been such a help over the years, and such a knowledge-base for both my fun and my engineering career, I'll share here.

As is the expectation of this group, I want to learn how to do this better as well. I have thick skin and am open to making this better. My wife laughs every time I cringe and delete all of the traces on the PCBA design software and start re-laying out the boards. It's part of the sickness. This is experimental.

I needed a good, data recording engine monitor for my Long EZ. I wanted a better leaning algorithm that I could find on the market, a basic air data computer, more I/O, and a simple interface. The first picture shows the new screen - 3.5" capacitive touch screen in operation, the 2.8" screen for comparison (half the resolution of the 3.5") and the first revision of the PCBA's. The next revision is on its way.

The system consists of a module that sits near the engine on my Long EZ which runs a Teensy 3.6 microcontroller that is attached to a board I designed that collects data from 20 channels filters it and sends it via RS232 to the display module. The display module collects another 10 channels of data (and has spare serial inputs for expansion) and processes it on a Teensy 4.1. It stores it every .5 second on a uSD card and displays it.

I'm currently flying with the 2.8" version and really like the clear presentation of data, though the 3.5" version affords me more data on the screen at a time and easier viewing. The 3.5" version will be installed with the panel upgrade that I'm getting help with in another thread. Future updates to the software will include some AI for predictive performance and engine health monitoring...

The PCBA designs are done (and redone, and redone) in upverter - a great free circuit design tool.The enclosures are designed in onshape and the software is all C, written in the Arduino IDE. If anyone is interested in helping this project along, I'm game... Charlie, passing the joint. My wife and I got a kick out of the video (after the kids were in bed.)

Andy

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

PXL_20220512_020318280.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.54 MB
 Viewed:  1144 Time(s)

PXL_20220512_020318280.jpg

PXL_20220408_202703124.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.11 MB
 Viewed:  1144 Time(s)

PXL_20220408_202703124.jpg

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Engine Monitor - Homebuilt Style... Reply with quote

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 10:11 PM andymeyer <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com (meyerkc135(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "andymeyer" <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com (meyerkc135(at)gmail.com)>

So, this came up in another thread and I was asked to share... Plan is to write it up for Sport Aviation, but this group has been such a help over the years, and such a knowledge-base for both my fun and my engineering career, I'll share here.

As is the expectation of this group, I want to learn how to do this better as well. I have thick skin and am open to making this better. My wife laughs every time I cringe and delete all of the traces on the PCBA design software and start re-laying out the boards. It's part of the sickness. This is experimental.

I needed a good, data recording engine monitor for my Long EZ. I wanted a better leaning algorithm that I could find on the market, a basic air data computer, more I/O, and a simple interface. The first picture shows the new screen - 3.5" capacitive touch screen in operation, the 2.8" screen for comparison (half the resolution of the 3.5") and the first revision of the PCBA's. The next revision is on its way.

The system consists of a module that sits near the engine on my Long EZ which runs a Teensy 3.6 microcontroller that is attached to a board I designed that collects data from 20 channels filters it and sends it via RS232 to the display module. The display module collects another 10 channels of data (and has spare serial inputs for expansion) and processes it on a Teensy 4.1. It stores it every .5 second on a uSD card and displays it.

I'm currently flying with the 2.8" version and really like the clear presentation of data, though the 3.5" version affords me more data on the screen at a time and easier viewing. The 3.5" version will be installed with the panel upgrade that I'm getting help with in another thread. Future updates to the software will include some AI for predictive performance and engine health monitoring...

The PCBA designs are done (and redone, and redone) in upverter - a great free circuit design tool.The enclosures are designed in onshape and the software is all C, written in the Arduino IDE.  If anyone is interested in helping this project along, I'm game... Charlie, passing the joint. My wife and I got a kick out of the video (after the kids were in bed.)

Andy
That is truly impressive! I wish I had the skillset to help with a project like that, but I'm limited to making paths for electrons & troubleshooting path failures. I learned over 50 years ago that I should leave programming (and singing) to others. If you decide to make the circuit design & the software open source, it could be very useful to those of us installing alternative engines. Using water cooling means that there are orders of magnitude more parameters that need to be monitored and optimized, to get an efficient installation, so having all those inputs available would be great.
Glad you like the 'Bogart' reference. Smile It's basically just a 'throw away' novelty cut from that album, but it's fun. The rest is a masterpiece. Don't know if you're old enough to have heard it, but after almost 45 years, it would still make my top 20 list (and I have a long list). The band would probably make my top 10 list.
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

andymeyer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Monitor - Homebuilt Style... Reply with quote

Charlie,

Thanks! It's coming along. I am more than willing to share the design on a limited basis (my wife and I were talking about this topic last night, but exploring the right options to protect, but grow and develop the design.

Drop me an email at meyer f 16 via googles email and let's see if we can get something that meets your needs for the alternative engine. This could be a solution. I've got plenty of water cooled experience, but not aviation water cooled experience.

I learned a lot of this along the way - relearned things from years past and got some help here and there. I also learned to resize my pics before posting on the AeroElectric list. Smile

Andy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: