Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging with a maintainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronburnett(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

Just bought a C170. Is it possible to hook a battery maintainer to it through the cigar lighter port? It only has a 3 amp breaker

Thanks
Ron Burnett

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rparigoris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

Hi Ron

Hmm, folks named Ron seem to be fool enough to purchase 170s! I owned a 1948 for 19 years.

To answer your question, if you have the time, a small charger is fine. I used a Yuasa 3 step battery charger that was 900mA. I would charge lead acid batteries from 5amps to 200 amps. I was deep cycling the 200 amp Gel Cell Decka batteries down to 60% charge. Took a while to charge, but none the less works just fine. 200 amps times .4 = 80 amps / .9 amps = 89 hours times fudge of lets say 1.3 = 116 hours. If it was below 50F, takes even longer.

Ron P.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

At 01:10 PM 6/23/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net>

Just bought a C170. Is it possible to hook a battery maintainer to it through the cigar lighter port? It only has a 3 amp breaker

Great ol' bird. Fly comfortably!

Yes, if your cigar lighter is 'always hot',
i.e. tied directly to battery via a 5A or
smaller fuse/brealer at the battery, then that
connector is the obvious choice for battery maintenance.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

Maintainers . . . Ron,
Most general purpose 12V battery maintainers are low current.  Usually under 1 amp. So, if your cig lighter is always "hot" that should work well.
Suggestion:  After the maintainer has operated for a few hours or a day, be sure to check the battery voltage at the battery.  It should be in the 13.2 to 13.5 range.
Some maintainers are in error with their final float setting voltage.
D
On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 9:38 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)>

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

Bob and D,
Thanks for the info. Sadly, right now at least, It is wired on the main bus that requires the switch to be on.
Since this is a certified plane, can I add a hot buss on the forward firewall for the maintainer and the clock? Legally? If so, how would it be recommended?
Thanks,
Ron Burnett

May you have the Lord's blessings today!Sent from my iPad
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2022, at 1:54 PM, skywagon185guy <skywagon185(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Maintainers . . . Ron,
Most general purpose 12V battery maintainers are low current. Usually under 1 amp. So, if your cig lighter is always "hot" that should work well.
Suggestion: After the maintainer has operated for a few hours or a day, be sure to check the battery voltage at the battery. It should be in the 13.2 to 13.5 range.
Some maintainers are in error with their final float setting voltage.
D
On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 9:38 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Ron Burnett <ronburnett(at)charter.net (ronburnett(at)charter.net)>

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

At 08:32 PM 6/28/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob and D,

Thanks for the info. Sadly, right now at least, It is wired on
the main bus that requires the switch to be on.

Since this is a certified plane, can I add a hot buss on the
forward firewall for the maintainer and the clock? Legally?
If so, how would it be recommended?

You have an electric clock? Then is there a fuse
holder mounted on a bracket next to the battery
contactor? Where is your battery located . . . on
firewall or behind cabin?

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Charging with a maintainer Reply with quote

There is a tube fuse for the clock hanging by the battery which is mounted pax side firewall forward.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 28, 2022, at 9:02 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

At 08:32 PM 6/28/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob and D,

Thanks for the info. Sadly, right now at least, It is wired on
the main bus that requires the switch to be on.

Since this is a certified plane, can I add a hot buss on the
forward firewall for the maintainer and the clock? Legally?
If so, how would it be recommended?

You have an electric clock? Then is there a fuse
holder mounted on a bracket next to the battery
contactor? Where is your battery located . . . on
firewall or behind cabin?

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: