Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

turnbuckles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: turnbuckles Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm building a Firestar and I have a question about turnbuckles. I got my kit used, partially built hence my question because I have no idea what came with the kit even though I would assume what I have came with it but then again I have 6 turnbuckles. I have the following turnbuckles: 4 that have a cable eye on one end and a pin eye on the other and 2 that have cable eyes on both ends.

Looking at the drawing it appears the control stick at the elevator attach points have the forked end turnbuckles on one end and the cable end on the other but I can't tell. I don't even see turnbuckles for the rudder cables in the drawings but one would assume there to be turnbuckles to adjust the pedals evenly.

Can I use the pin eye ends at the rudder bolts and at the control stick for the elevators?

Thanks,
Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: turnbuckles Reply with quote

Not sure about the Firestar, but on the Firefly the ruder cables have a
clevis at both ends. At the pedal end it has a tang that is bolted to
the pedal. The tang has holes at various spacing for adjustment of cable
tension. No turnbuckle required. You can always make a new tang with
different holes if needed. I'm sure this was not only for weight savings
but for cost reduction as well.

For the elevator there are turnbuckles at the stick end.

Here are some pictures, hope they help.
On 12/10/22 15:14, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

Hi All,
I'm building a Firestar and I have a question about turnbuckles. I got my kit used, partially built hence my question because I have no idea what came with the kit even though I would assume what I have came with it but then again I have 6 turnbuckles. I have the following turnbuckles: 4 that have a cable eye on one end and a pin eye on the other and 2 that have cable eyes on both ends.

Looking at the drawing it appears the control stick at the elevator attach points have the forked end turnbuckles on one end and the cable end on the other but I can't tell. I don't even see turnbuckles for the rudder cables in the drawings but one would assume there to be turnbuckles to adjust the pedals evenly.

Can I use the pin eye ends at the rudder bolts and at the control stick for the elevators?

Thanks,
Jay

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

100_7450.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.71 KB
 Viewed:  2191 Time(s)

100_7450.JPG

100_7451.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.45 KB
 Viewed:  2191 Time(s)

100_7451.JPG

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turnbuckles Reply with quote

Jaydub: send me an email - thegreybaron(at)charter.net

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: turnbuckles Reply with quote

Thanks again Stuart for the photos as that helps. It was strange I have 6 turnbuckles with my kit because those are not cheap. But, I also have the control cables from my first Firestar that got this whole thing started. Those turnbuckles for the elevators have the fork instead of the pin eye. I took them apart and am using those. The previous owner of the kit I got had already made rudder cables with the turnbuckles installed so I am just going to use those otherwise I would have to cut them out and splice the cables to lengthen them and I'm not wanting to do that.. I'm not sure how one safety wires a turnbuckle with a pin eye though. With the fork/cable eye it's just like AC43.13 figure 7-26 but I never see anything for a pin eye. How did everyone here safety those as it seems that's what ships with the Kolb kits. Do you just safety the side that has the cable eye? Today was a good day with a ton of good progress. I got the rudder cables installed and rigged. I made the elevator cables, got them installed and rigged plus the lexan piece at the edge of the boom tube. I got the ailerons attached and the horns installed then rigged them using the control push rods. I should be ready to cover maybe by next week. I attached 2 photos so you can see what I have. Oops, was too big so I'll try with one photo now. Again, can anyone show how you safety a turnbuckle with a pin eye and a cable eye? Thanks, Jay Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM From: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com Subject: Re: turnbuckles Not sure about the Firestar, but on the Firefly the ruder cables have a clevis at both ends. At the pedal end it has a tang that is bolted to the pedal. The tang has holes at various spacing for adjustment of cable tension. No turnbuckle required. You can always make a new tang with different holes if needed. I'm sure this was not only for weight savings but for cost reduction as well. For the elevator there are turnbuckles at the stick end. Here are some pictures, hope they help. On 12/10/22 15:14, Jay Dub wrote: > --> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> > > Hi All, > I'm building a Firestar and I have a question about turnbuckles. I got my kit used, partially built hence my question because I have no idea what came with the kit even though I would assume what I have came with it but then again I have 6 turnbuckles. I have the following turnbuckles: 4 that have a cable eye on one end and a pin eye on the other and 2 that have cable eyes on both ends. > > Looking at the drawing it appears the control stick at the elevator attach points have the forked end turnbuckles on one end and the cable end on the other but I can't tell. I don't even see turnbuckles for the rudder cables in the drawings but one would assume there to be turnbuckles to adjust the pedals evenly. > > Can I use the pin eye ends at the rudder bolts and at the control stick for the elevators? > > Thanks, > Jay > > >

IMG_20221210_170006975.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.81 MB
 Viewed:  2188 Time(s)

IMG_20221210_170006975.jpg

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: turnbuckles Reply with quote

For the turnbuckles I suspect the "really proper" method of connecting to the control stick would be to use a fork style in that location, or use a clevis on the stick end then you can safety it like a cable end.
In my case I wrapped the wire around the bolt on the stick side of the eye, then proceeded with the rest as in the A.C. Since the Firefly is Part 103 I didn't have to worry about any further than my own satisfaction.
The only pictures I have of them they are in the background of something else I was looking at so are a little out of focus. If you want I can get better pictures today when the sun comes up.
Stuart
On 12/10/22 23:20, Jay Dub wrote:

Quote:
Thanks again Stuart for the photos as that helps. It was strange I have 6 turnbuckles with my kit because those are not cheap. But, I also have the control cables from my first Firestar that got this whole thing started. Those turnbuckles for the elevators have the fork instead of the pin eye. I took them apart and am using those.

The previous owner of the kit I got had already made rudder cables with the turnbuckles installed so I am just going to use those otherwise I would have to cut them out and splice the cables to lengthen them and I'm not wanting to do that.. I'm not sure how one safety wires a turnbuckle with a pin eye though. With the fork/cable eye it's just like AC43.13 figure 7-26 but I never see anything for a pin eye. How did everyone here safety those as it seems that's what ships with the Kolb kits. Do you just safety the side that has the cable eye?

Today was a good day with a ton of good progress. I got the rudder cables installed and rigged. I made the elevator cables, got them installed and rigged plus the lexan piece at the edge of the boom tube. I got the ailerons attached and the horns installed then rigged them using the control push rods. I should be ready to cover maybe by next week.

I attached 2 photos so you can see what I have. Oops, was too big so I'll try with one photo now.

Again, can anyone show how you safety a turnbuckle with a pin eye and a cable eye?

Thanks,
Jay

Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM
From: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: turnbuckles
Not sure about the Firestar, but on the Firefly the ruder cables have a
clevis at both ends. At the pedal end it has a tang that is bolted to
the pedal. The tang has holes at various spacing for adjustment of cable
tension. No turnbuckle required. You can always make a new tang with
different holes if needed. I'm sure this was not only for weight savings
but for cost reduction as well.

For the elevator there are turnbuckles at the stick end.

Here are some pictures, hope they help.

On 12/10/22 15:14, Jay Dub wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> (bearhawk(at)gmx.com)
>
> Hi All,
> I'm building a Firestar and I have a question about turnbuckles. I got my kit used, partially built hence my question because I have no idea what came with the kit even though I would assume what I have came with it but then again I have 6 turnbuckles. I have the following turnbuckles: 4 that have a cable eye on one end and a pin eye on the other and 2 that have cable eyes on both ends.
>
> Looking at the drawing it appears the control stick at the elevator attach points have the forked end turnbuckles on one end and the cable end on the other but I can't tell. I don't even see turnbuckles for the rudder cables in the drawings but one would assume there to be turnbuckles to adjust the pedals evenly.
>
> Can I use the pin eye ends at the rudder bolts and at the control stick for the elevators?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay
>
>
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: