Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuselage fabric for Firestar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my tail feathers tonight (or hope to nearly finish up) and have laid out the fabric on my upside down fuselage. One piece of fabric 8' long by 72" wide looks like it will cover it all. Do I need to cut that fabric and glue it like the drawings, then try to piece the sides with the cut scraps from the one piece? Is it in the plans like that to use leftover scraps from other parts? It seems simpler to use 1 piece and be done but perhaps they want more glue joints to the frame?

Not sure which way to go. Anyone that's done a firestar, do you have any suggestions? I don't have anymore spare fabric.

Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

One would think that if you have one piece big enough to do it all that
would be the way to go.

Easier to install and fewer lap joints to come up later.

For the Firefly, I ordered two yards more they specified and didn't
waste much. When I was done there was only about a yard left. Glad I got
the extra up front.

I don't think the welded fuselage would care which technique you use. It
is the only part of the airplane that I used full heat of 350 though.

On 1/28/23 19:33, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

I'm finishing up my tail feathers tonight (or hope to nearly finish up) and have laid out the fabric on my upside down fuselage. One piece of fabric 8' long by 72" wide looks like it will cover it all. Do I need to cut that fabric and glue it like the drawings, then try to piece the sides with the cut scraps from the one piece? Is it in the plans like that to use leftover scraps from other parts? It seems simpler to use 1 piece and be done but perhaps they want more glue joints to the frame?

Not sure which way to go. Anyone that's done a firestar, do you have any suggestions? I don't have anymore spare fabric.

Jay

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,
I'm thinking the 1 piece makes it easy but in the back of my mind I wonder if the reason for it in the plans was because you have fabric glued around the bottom tubes. Next you have the fabric glued around the top tubes then you make your overlap. That gives you 2 spots you are anchored to tubes all the way around the perimeter: one high and one low. If I do one piece I will only anchor at the top. I don't know that it makes a difference so that's why I ask.

I was able to take the fabric up to 350F on my wings and 320F on everything else. I'll do 350F on the fuselage too as I can't see that distorting. At 320F my elevators bowed just a little bit but I was able to straighten them back.

When I was making a covering list, I looked over your website and saw you ordered 30 yards for a Firefly and I know the Firestar has longer wings and a longer fuselage. Aircraft Spruce had an ultralight estimate of 25 yds Uncertified light fabric, 3 rolls of 2" pinked tape, 1 roll of 3" pinked tape, plus all the Polyfiber stuff. By the time I ordered the material I knew I was going to do the weinerdogaero latex method so I didn't need to order polyfiber liquids. Anyhow I ordered 35 yards of Superflite 104 uncertified, 3 rolls of 2" tape (only used 1 1/2 of them), and I did use some of the 3" tape on the wings. You had about 1 yard left over. I am not short on my fabric but I also do not have any length left over, not even 6". Sure I have a box of cut scraps but they are all cut offs. I'm glad I was careful when laying out my parts as I almost was short. When I cut the fabric for one elevator I made a mistake and it was too long so there was a little extra scrap there.

Thanks for keeping your website up as that was a big help when I couldn't find any lists for how much a Firestar 2 needed.

Jay

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 9:08 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: fuselage fabric for Firestar

would be the way to go.

the extra up front.

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

Think about it this way:

If you cover the bottom and wrap the tubes, that piece has extra
adhesion on both edges. Then you put the sides on and wrap the top tube
but have to lap joint at the bottom. That piece only has the extra
adhesion at the one edge.

If you use one piece and wrap the tubes at all the edges, the entire
piece has the extra adhesion.

I am quite sure that properly glued lap joints are just as secure as the
wrapped edge, but if you don't have to mess with the lap you don't have
as much to deal with when ironing flat and installing the tape. Plus it
will go faster (maybe).

I probably could have gotten the fabric all the way to 350 if I had left
it just a little more loose to start with. I was being extra careful not
to have too much that 350 wouldn't properly tighten it.

I don't know if the Firestar uses heavier materials in the wings and
tail feathers but the Firefly is pretty darned lightweight.

The covering was one of the most enjoyable parts to me. I like seeing
the wrinkles come out and the final shape take place.

Glad the website helped. Sometimes I wonder if any one ever looks at it.
I haven't done any updates in years. I really should work on getting the
hangar/camper project photos added.
On 1/28/23 23:58, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

Hi Stuart,
I'm thinking the 1 piece makes it easy but in the back of my mind I wonder if the reason for it in the plans was because you have fabric glued around the bottom tubes. Next you have the fabric glued around the top tubes then you make your overlap. That gives you 2 spots you are anchored to tubes all the way around the perimeter: one high and one low. If I do one piece I will only anchor at the top. I don't know that it makes a difference so that's why I ask.

I was able to take the fabric up to 350F on my wings and 320F on everything else. I'll do 350F on the fuselage too as I can't see that distorting. At 320F my elevators bowed just a little bit but I was able to straighten them back.

When I was making a covering list, I looked over your website and saw you ordered 30 yards for a Firefly and I know the Firestar has longer wings and a longer fuselage. Aircraft Spruce had an ultralight estimate of 25 yds Uncertified light fabric, 3 rolls of 2" pinked tape, 1 roll of 3" pinked tape, plus all the Polyfiber stuff. By the time I ordered the material I knew I was going to do the weinerdogaero latex method so I didn't need to order polyfiber liquids. Anyhow I ordered 35 yards of Superflite 104 uncertified, 3 rolls of 2" tape (only used 1 1/2 of them), and I did use some of the 3" tape on the wings. You had about 1 yard left over. I am not short on my fabric but I also do not have any length left over, not even 6". Sure I have a box of cut scraps but they are all cut offs. I'm glad I was careful when laying out my parts as I almost was short. When I cut the fabric for one elevator I made a mistake and it was too long so there was a little extra scrap there.

Thanks for keeping your website up as that was a big help when I couldn't find any lists for how much a Firestar 2 needed.

Jay

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 9:08 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: fuselage fabric for Firestar

would be the way to go.

the extra up front.

jaydub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

Long story short, you can't do one piece of fabric for the Firestar fuselage. The compound curves and angles give you a bunch of fabric in the middle. I did per the plans. First, I marked a center line in 4 spots of the 72" fabric to center the fabric on the bottom stringer.  I then cut both sides off from the bottom. Then I wrapped and glued the bottom and shrunk it. Then I glued a tape down the center stringer on the bottom in case I land in some pasture with weeds.  I also got the left side nearly glued on.

It's hard to describe why you have to do it per the plans but that's the only way it will work for shrinking. Soooo....that answers that.

Jay

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

Something to maybe save a little repair work down the road - note the red line I put on this pic - there is a diagonal brace that runs just under the fabric on my MKIII, from high rear to low in front, on the FSII, it runs from low rear to high in front.
After several years the pulses from the prop caused the paint to crack along that tube, and I had to cut some strips of cloth and lay alongside the tube inside the fuselage to stop the fabric from flexing, and then repair the outside.
Depending on how that tube runs on the FF, (and on any other similar fuselage) maybe a little reinforcement while covering will save some aggravation later.

sidevibe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.6 KB
 Viewed:  2746 Time(s)

sidevibe.jpg

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
mibear117(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: fuselage fabric for Firestar Reply with quote

Hey Richard!
I sure enjoy all the input you give on many different topics. Thank you.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 11:15 PM Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

Something to maybe save a little repair work down the road - note the red line I put on this pic - there is a diagonal brace that runs just under the fabric on my MKIII, from high rear to low in front, on the FSII, it runs from low rear to high in front.
After several years the pulses from the prop caused the paint to crack along that tube, and I had to cut some strips of cloth and lay alongside the tube inside the fuselage to stop the fabric from flexing, and then repair the outside.
Depending on how that tube runs on the FF, (and on any other similar fuselage) maybe a little reinforcement while covering will save some aggravation later.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=510116#510116

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/sidevibe_479.jpg

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: