Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portable Air Conditioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quinn_tom(at)tqiinc.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a successful installation of a portable air conditioner in an AA5? I use my plane to fly to business meetings but in the summer time the heat and humidity can be pretty brutal and flying in a suit is not really practical. I’ve made an portable air conditioner by converting an ice cooler (see attached) and it works okay for about an hour but after that the cockpit heats up quickly. Arctic Air (http://www.arcticaircooler.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80) offers real air conditioner that they claim is portable, has anyone heard of installing this system in an AA5 or other aircraft? They claim that the unit momentarily draws 40 amps at start up and 27 amps at high and 19 amps at low, can a standard AA5 electrical system handle this or would you have to upgrade the alternator? The exhaust would be routed through the rear bulkhead, can this be done without any major problems. The more I compare my Tiger to other aircraft the more I like it when you compare speed, reliability, simplicity (fixed gear/prop), and costs. The biggest gripe I have is the need for air conditioning during the summer to meet my business mission needs. Appreciate any insight that anyone may have.

Tom Quinn

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

Portable_AC_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.36 KB
 Viewed:  8643 Time(s)

Portable_AC_2.JPG

teamgrumman(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Tom, where are you based? A couple of years ago it was really hot here in Auburn. I would climb above 7,000 feet to get to cooler air. One of my customers has a small cooler that plugs into a cigarette lighter. He puts it on the floor of the right seat and directs air with 3 inch SCAT to blow through the cooler to his side. It's crude but works.
The Grumman alternator is good for 60 amps. For the most part, you'll only use a fraction of that. So, the simple answer is, "The electrical capacity is there." The web site you provided says it needs 5 amps so I don't know where you got 27 amps. Your climb performance will be affected by the additional weight.

To: teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wed, June 23, 2010 2:46:04 AM
Subject: TeamGrumman-List: Portable Air Conditioning

Has anyone heard of a successful installation of a portable air conditioner in an AA5? I use my plane to fly to business meetings but in the summer time the heat and humidity can be pretty brutal and flying in a suit is not really practical. I’ve made an portable air conditioner by converting an ice cooler (see attached) and it works okay for about an hour but after that the cockpit heats up quickly. Arctic Air (http://www.arcticaircooler.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80) offers real air conditioner that they claim is portable, has anyone heard of installing this system in an AA5 or other aircraft? They claim that the unit momentarily draws 40 amps at start up and 27 amps at high and 19 amps at low, can a standard AA5 electrical system handle this or would you have to upgrade the alternator? The exhaust would be routed through the rear bulkhead, can this be done without any major problems. The more I compare my Tiger to other aircraft the more I like it when you compare speed, reliability, simplicity (fixed gear/prop), and costs. The biggest gripe I have is the need for air conditioning during the summer to meet my business mission needs. Appreciate any insight that anyone may have.

Tom Quinn

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

quinn_tom(at)tqiinc.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Gary,
  Somehow the link I sent didn’t drill down to the Real A/C unit that actually uses a compressor and 134A refrigerant so I cut and pasted the unit I was talking about below. I think the unit you were looking at was the unit that uses ice like the one I built in the picture I sent with the original email. I live in the Norfolk Virginia area and the temps get to 100 degrees with 90% humidity and flying to a business meeting in business attire is almost impossible. The unit I currently have is like the one you described but it works okay for about an hour if you fill it with ice but I’m looking for a solution that is more effective and convenient like the RAC200-1-12D shown below

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01CB12E4.D0EC4660[/img]
200 CFM with 1 fan, 12 Volt with duct, Real AC
Price per Unit (piece): $4 600.00
Ask a question about this product

This is a completely portable self-contained A/C unit with compressor and 134A refrigerant.
Weight: 42 lbs.
Dimensions: 13"W x 19"H x 13"D
Power Source: works in a 12 volt aircraft
200 cfm (cubic ft/minute) (turns over air in 4 seat aircraft every 60 seconds.
Arctic Air can control the amps you draw at a low of 19 amps and a high of 27 amps. Start-up peaks at 40 amps for a split second and levels off at 25 amps.
If plane will give us 27 amps of power at 12 volts, the unit will put out 7,000 BTUs of a/c.
If plane will give us 19 amps of power, the unit will put out 5,000 BTUs of A/C
Condensation is routed from inside the unit thru a condensation disposal hose and collected in a reservoir of your choice placed on the outside of the unit. The accumulated condensation can then be disposed of when the aircraft is parked. Also, the condensation disposal hose can be routed through a drain hole in the bottom of the aircraft allowing the condensation to be removed continuously during flight.
Exhaust air is vented out rear of the aircraft using a flexible hose attached to the rear of the unit and routed through the rear cargo wall..
1 year warranty - parts and labor, 30 day money back guarantee.
***Purchaser of this ARCTIC Air unit is responsible for the cost of installation of the unit to include all materials and labor - should not exceed $500.***

Tom Quinn
President
<![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image001.png(at)01CB12E3.A1609A50[/img]<![endif]>TQI Solutions
A SDVOSB Corporation
Tel (757) 204-4618
Cell (757) 573-6818
Fax (757) 204-4628
quinn_tom(at)tqiinc.com (quinn_tom(at)tqiinc.com)
www.tqiinc.com

From: owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom Quinn
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:46 AM
Subject: Portable Air Conditioning

Tom Quinn

image001.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  174 Bytes
 Viewed:  8639 Time(s)

image001.png

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.13 KB
 Viewed:  8639 Time(s)

image002.jpg

teamgrumman(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

for $4,600, I'd go commercial. Seriously, for an AC that size, there is too much of a weight penalty. I'd find another solution.

Sent: Wed, June 23, 2010 12:02:25 PM
Subject: RE: Portable Air Conditioning

Gary,
Somehow the link I sent didn’t drill down to the Real A/C unit that actually uses a compressor and 134A refrigerant so I cut and pasted the unit I was talking about below. I think the unit you were looking at was the unit that uses ice like the one I built in the picture I sent with the original email. I live in the Norfolk Virginia area and the temps get to 100 degrees with 90% humidity and flying to a business meeting in business attire is almost impossible. The unit I currently have is like the one you described but it works okay for about an hour if you fill it with ice but I’m looking for a solution that is more effective and convenient like the RAC200-1-12D shown below

[/url]
[url=http://www.arcticaircooler.com/index.php?page=shop.ask&flypage=&product_id=35&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80]Ask a question about this product

This is a completely portable self-contained A/C unit with compressor and 134A refrigerant.
Arctic Air can control the amps you draw at a low of 19 amps and a high of 27 amps. Start-up peaks at 40 amps for a split second and levels off at 25 amps.
If plane will give us 27 amps of power at 12 volts, the unit will put out 7,000 BTUs of a/c.
Condensation is routed from inside the unit thru a condensation disposal hose and collected in a reservoir of your choice placed on the outside of the unit. The accumulated condensation can then be disposed of when the aircraft is parked. Also, the condensation disposal hose can be routed through a drain hole in the bottom of the aircraft allowing the condensation to be removed continuously during flight.
Exhaust air is vented out rear of the aircraft using a flexible hose attached to the rear of the unit and routed through the rear cargo wall..
***Purchaser of this ARCTIC Air unit is responsible for the cost of installation of the unit to include all materials and labor - should not exceed $500.***

Tom Quinn
President
TQI Solutions
A SDVOSB Corporation
Tel (757) 204-4618
Cell (757) 573-6818
Fax (757) 204-4628
www.tqiinc.com

From: owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom Quinn

Tom Quinn

[quote][b]

quinn_tom(at)tqiinc.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Actually compared to A/C upgrades of other aircraft being $18,000 to $21,000 or buying a 2006 182 with A/C at around $250K I think $4,600 is a good deal (if the system works). Also a loaded ice chest cooler air conditioner weighs around 60 lbs. I’m trying to weigh options based on my business mission needs. If I can’t find a solution for my Tiger I may have to sell it and purchase another air craft with A/C

Tom Quinn

From: owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gary Vogt
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: Portable Air Conditioning

for $4,600, I'd go commercial. Seriously, for an AC that size, there is too much of a weight penalty. I'd find another solution.

Sent: Wed, June 23, 2010 12:02:25 PM
Subject: RE: Portable Air Conditioning

Gary,

Error! Filename not specified.
Ask a question about this product

Tom Quinn
President
Error! Filename not specified.TQI Solutions
A SDVOSB Corporation
Tel (757) 204-4618
Cell (757) 573-6818
Fax (757) 204-4628
www.tqiinc.com

Tom Quinn

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

rolif6

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Portable Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Portable air conditioning refers to a type of air conditioning system that can be moved from room to room and doesn't require permanent installation. One popular example of portable air conditioning is the https://cool-minisplits.com/collections/mrcool-diy-4th-gen-single-zone, which are compact and efficient units that can be easily transported and installed without the need for extensive modifications to a building's structure. These portable air conditioning systems provide a convenient solution for cooling small spaces or areas where a traditional central air conditioning system may not be practical or cost-effective. They are also energy-efficient and can help reduce electricity costs compared to other cooling options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: