Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Hello Europa friends,

It's been a couple of months that I have been away from the forum. Life got a bit on the way but I'm hopping to socialize with you all again.

I have been flying my beloved Europa quite a bit. It's nearing 300 hours now and running better than ever. I finally got my DUC prop properly balanced with it's new CF spinner and the engine tweaked to the point that it is running soooo smooth Smile . I also dropped the pitch a little on the prop and found a sweet spot were I am cruising at 132 knots (5100 RPM) and the takeoff and climb are exhilarating! Still need to paint and reinstall the speed kit so maybe I will gain an extra knot. OK, a lost a little speed but the takeoff at full weight is much more relaxing. Need to finish this thing one day but I am having so much fun as it is that I haven't found the time to work on it much.

So reading back older posting, I saw one about the uAvionix ECHO and a question about ADSB solutions in the Europa. A while back I bought a used uAvionix SkyBeacon and installed it underneath the baggage compartment on one of the floor support ribs, right next to the access cover. I never thought it would work adequately being underneath the baggage floor but it has done so perfectly. All the PAPR reports come perfect and no complaints from the FAA. I though that once I placed stuff on top of it the GPS signal would be blocked but it has been OK so far. Maybe if you place a lead plate on top it would be an issue but with regular baggage not so.

The install could not have been simpler, just two wires (power and ground) and I used double sided tape to stick it to the rib (also surprised it has not come off). I have a GTX-327 transponder. There is a setting in the utility app for this unit that lets you turn the light part of it off.

For ADSB-in I have a GDL-39 inside the starboard headrest pocket. The antenna on this unit went bad so I made little dipole with some thin coax cable I had laying around and a dirty straw with some hot melt glue and the silly thing, stuck to the outside of the headrest next to the door, now lets me see a bunch of stations really far away.

Crazy, but no issues with this setup in 3 years.

Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
n7188u

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Some fun pics of N11EU doing it's job of providing enjoyment!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

IMG_1166 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.57 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

IMG_1166 (1).JPG

IMG_1172 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.47 KB

IMG_1172 (1).JPG

IMG_9987 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.59 KB

IMG_9987 (1).JPG

IMG_1210 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.03 KB

IMG_1210 (2).JPG

n7188u

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

During the DUC open house in Sebring. Got a new $$CF spinner (the one I had before was terrible).

One pic shows Monsieur DUC himself inspecting the prop install by his son. It was fun to sit back and watch someone else work on my plane for a change Smile

72919030835__6C0593AB-105E-4DC2-8A53-6C017B8E7F7E (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.48 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)

72919030835__6C0593AB-105E-4DC2-8A53-6C017B8E7F7E (2).JPG

IMG_5357 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.96 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)

IMG_5357 (1).jpg

Area-51

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Looks great! Very nice!!! 🙂

If it works, don't fix it!

Europa mono is the only aircraft that looks like it is flying even when it is standing still 😂😂😂

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I’m confused….. you have a sky beacon (which is an ADSB out transponder) + a mode C 327? How would this duplication play together?

Thx,
Pete

Quote:
On May 7, 2024, at 10:47 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Europa friends,

It's been a couple of months that I have been away from the forum. Life got a bit on the way but I'm hopping to socialize with you all again.

I have been flying my beloved Europa quite a bit. It's nearing 300 hours now and running better than ever. I finally got my DUC prop properly balanced with it's new CF spinner and the engine tweaked to the point that it is running soooo smooth Smile . I also dropped the pitch a little on the prop and found a sweet spot were I am cruising at 132 knots (5100 RPM) and the takeoff and climb are exhilarating! Still need to paint and reinstall the speed kit so maybe I will gain an extra knot. OK, a lost a little speed but the takeoff at full weight is much more relaxing. Need to finish this thing one day but I am having so much fun as it is that I haven't found the time to work on it much.

So reading back older posting, I saw one about the uAvionix ECHO and a question about ADSB solutions in the Europa. A while back I bought a used uAvionix SkyBeacon and installed it underneath the baggage compartment on one of the floor support ribs, right next to the access cover. I never thought it would work adequately being underneath the baggage floor but it has done so perfectly. All the PAPR reports come perfect and no complaints from the FAA. I though that once I placed stuff on top of it the GPS signal would be blocked but it has been OK so far. Maybe if you place a lead plate on top it would be an issue but with regular baggage not so.

The install could not have been simpler, just two wires (power and ground) and I used double sided tape to stick it to the rib (also surprised it has not come off). I have a GTX-327 transponder. There is a setting in the utility app for this unit that lets you turn the light part of it off.

For ADSB-in I have a GDL-39 inside the starboard headrest pocket. The antenna on this unit went bad so I made little dipole with some thin coax cable I had laying around and a dirty straw with some hot melt glue and the silly thing, stuck to the outside of the headrest next to the door, now lets me see a bunch of stations really far away.

Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513565#513565

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Oops.... Another question: do you have a MP gauge? If so, what is the MP at 132kn(at)5100? Is that wide open?

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On May 7, 2024, at 10:47 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Europa friends,

Chris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513565#513565

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Sorry for late reply.

I have the SkyBeacon (aka the wingtip one). That one doesn't have built-in transponder so you need to have one in the airplane, in my case the GTX-327. The nice thing is that there is no physical connection between the two. I think it just uses noise induced by the transponder in the power line. I do have the AV-30 so it would be easy to have the tailbeaconX but I got the GTX and SkyBeacon for a good price.

You may be thinking about the TailBeaconX.

I do have MP gage. Can't recall the exact MP I cruise at but it is what corresponds to around 70% to 75% power. Now with slightly lower pitch it will be a hair less. I will look at it if I fly tomorrow. I normally fly between 3000 to 5500 feet. Sometimes 6500 but not often.

Chris

n7188u

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

This morning I went flying. Only climbed to 3000’ and at that altitude and 5100 the MP was around 23.5”. Per my power table that is about 70% or a bit more but no more than 75%. My table is kind of crude (why can’t Rotax make a detailed power chart like Lycoming?) but should be somewhat close.

At 1000’ it was about 24.5”ish and I would expect that at my usual 4500’-5500’ cruise it would be even less than at 3000’.

I hope this helps.

Chris

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Thx Chris,

132knt at 23.5” and 5100 from a 912s is impressive! I will have to try those numbers with my e-prop and classic and see what I get Smile

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On May 11, 2024, at 2:40 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Pete,

This morning I went flying. Only climbed to 3000’ and at that altitude and 5100 the MP was around 23.5”. Per my power table that is about 70% or a bit more but no more than 75%. My table is kind of crude (why can’t Rotax make a detailed power chart like Lycoming?) but should be somewhat close.

At 1000’ it was about 24.5”ish and I would expect that at my usual 4500’-5500’ cruise it would be even less than at 3000’.

I hope this helps.

Chris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513578#513578

Area-51

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

FWIW 181's 80hp touches 120kt IAS at 5200rpm WOT on a 3 blade Bolly set to 19deg blade angle. I'd be happy with 135kt cruise on 24 MAP 🙂

Waiting see what Eprop does!

n7188u

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

OK, so in the interest of accurateness, I went up this morning when it was relatively calm and did 3 and 4 leg runs and used the very handy National Test Pilot School (NTPS) GPS Pitot-Static-Error spreadsheet to calculate Vtrue and the results are not quite as optimistic as my previous quick estimate but not too bad anyway. I include the output from the spreadsheet so you can look at it there.

As a summary, I normally plan for 130 knots true at 5100 RPM at 4500-5500 feet as I mentioned. The check this morning shows that at 5100 I get 127 knots at 3000' and 128 knots at 4500' (MP 23.5 and 22.5 respectively). At 5200 RPM the speeds do go up to 129 knots at 3000' and 130 knots at 4500' (MP 24 and 23 respectively).

I looked at measurements I took in 2021 with the same prop with a little more pitch and the speed kit (which I still have to paint and re-install) and I was getting 135 knots true at 4200' and 5100-5200 rpm. I reduced the pitch slightly which did make me loose some of this speed, but I like the takeoff performance better now, although it wasn't that bad before. I could get about the same climb with both finer and coarser pitch but the transition from 60 knots to 110 knots used to be a little sluggish and the RPM would drop to max torque at 4900 RPM. Now it stays at 5100+ RPM, the ground run is much shorter and no longer do I experience sluggishness when I retract the flaps and accelerate to cruise climb speed. It just feels better.

Overall, I am very pleased with this engine/prop combination and the current setup.

Chris

240512_N11EU True Airspeed.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.89 KB
 Viewed:  89 Time(s)

240512_N11EU True Airspeed.PNG

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Hi and ADSB-Out in my Europa Reply with quote

Thx for that Chris!

When I have time I will attempt the same to compare with my eprop.

Cheers!
Pete

Quote:
On May 12, 2024, at 2:52 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

OK, so in the interest of accurateness, I went up this morning when it was relatively calm and did 3 and 4 leg runs and used the very handy National Test Pilot School (NTPS) GPS Pitot-Static-Error spreadsheet to calculate Vtrue and the results are not quite as optimistic as my previous quick estimate but not too bad anyway. I include the output from the spreadsheet so you can look at it there.

As a summary, I normally plan for 130 knots true at 5100 RPM at 4500-5500 feet as I mentioned. The check this morning shows that at 5100 I get 127 knots at 3000' and 128 knots at 4500' (MP 23.5 and 22.5 respectively). At 5200 RPM the speeds do go up to 129 knots at 3000' and 130 knots at 4500' (MP 24 and 23 respectively).

I looked at measurements I took in 2021 with the same prop with a little more pitch and the speed kit (which I still have to paint and re-install) and I was getting 135 knots true at 4200' and 5100-5200 rpm. I reduced the pitch slightly which did make me loose some of this speed, but I like the takeoff performance better now, although it wasn't that bad before. I could get about the same climb with both finer and coarser pitch but the transition from 60 knots to 110 knots used to be a little sluggish and the RPM would drop to max torque at 4900 RPM. Now it stays at 5100+ RPM, the ground run is much shorter and no longer do I experience sluggishness when I retract the flaps and accelerate to cruise climb speed. It just feels better.

Overall, I am very pleased with this engine/prop combination and the current setup.

Chris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=513581#513581

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/240512_n11eu_true_airspeed_505.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: