Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wanna-be-mechanic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrummanDude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

I can always tell when a wanna-be-mechanic has been working on his (or someone elses's) airplane by the way the bolts0are installed on the clam shells that attaches the muffler to the risers.

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

bruce.smith(at)york.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

Gary,

How have the wanna-be mechanics you've run across been doing this?

Bruce

TeamGrumman(at)aol.com said the following on 7/31/2006 1:05 PM:
Quote:
I can always tell when a wanna-be-mechanic has been working on his (or
someone elses's) airplane by the way the bolts are installed on the
clam shells that attaches the muffler to the risers.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jamey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

And better still, how should wanna-be-mechanics be doing it to be correct?
Not that I'd ever make the mistakes of a wanna-be-mechanic;)

Jamey

--

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

the head of the bolt faces out. The nut is on the back. That means the bolt is being turned to tighten the nut. Big no-no. Also, although not technically required, I0would suggest putting a thick washer under the bolt head to hold it away from clamp to make it easier to get a wrench on it.

az_gila

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

....And this bolt direction (opposite of the usual "head out - head up - head forward" standard) is clearly shown in Fig 78-1 of my Parts Manual. Interestingly enough, no washers are called out.

I guess they never looked at the picture.

gil in Tucson

At 08:03 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
the head of the bolt faces out. The nut is on the back. That means the bolt is being turned to tighten the nut. Big no-no. Also, although not technically required, I would suggest putting a thick washer under the bolt head to hold it away from clamp to make it easier to get a wrench on it.

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/2/06 8:26:29 AM, gilalex(at)earthlink.net writes:

Quote:
Interestingly enough, no washers are called out.

you're right, washers are not called for. still it makes R&R easier.

FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: wanna-be-mechanic Reply with quote

Gary & Team:

I had two major problems when I first purchased my plane:
1 - The Carb Heat Shroud was totally broken off and void of tabs.
2 - When it came to doing my first Annual with this plane the Nuts& Bolts that held the clam halves together were totally rusted and frozen.  Frozen beyond locking nuts. And in such poor locations that I could not get a wrench or socket on them.

I proceeded to weld new S/S tabs to the Carb Heat Shroud and ... Gary,0you are going to hate this; Totally a Wanna-be-Mechanic action ... I replace all the nuts and bolts with S/S - Allen Head Cap Screws and Locking Nuts.  The action of an engineer not the FAA. Now I can access the all the bolts and nuts. Removal is easy since they are LOCKING nuts ... The bolts shear off. And as a side bonus I do not have a CO issue. 0Go Figure!

Hey, I'm not condemning "doing it the right way", I just did not like the rust and possibly of busted knuckles.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: