Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV 7 wing kit for sale - Medical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J2j3h4(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: RV 7 wing kit for sale - Medical Reply with quote

Sincere thanks to all who wrote to give me advice about my medical. I really do appreciate your concern, but will explain further why I've decided to give up the RV 7.

I was already flying under a special issuance medical due to having a pace maker and stents in 2 arteries. Under the SIM I was required to periodically submit full medical data (stress test, EKG, pacemaker test and log, etc) even before the medical was due for reexamination. I sent in the last submittal a couple of months before the medical was due to expire, but didn't hear anything back until after it had expired. I then received a letter from the FFA stating that they had reviewed my records and found that I was not eligible for any class license. They further stated "if you reapply, we will have no choice to deny you".

From this, and AOPA agrees, I infer that they have not actually denied my medical, and I am therefore still eligible for Sport Pilot. I considered contesting their ruling, since my cardiologist says there has been no change in my condition since my previous submittal, but I decided that I would then be playing Russian roulette. That is, they could deny me at any time, and then my flying options would be even more limited - ultralight, glider, or motor glider.

I agree that building is a great joy, but rather than finishing the RV 7 and then selling it, I've decided to build a Sonex instead. The Sonex is the closest thing to an RV 7 that I could find in the LSA class. (Sorry, but the RV 12 just doesn't cut it - it's not aerobatic and it won't be available for another year). After all, I'm now 70 years old and don't want to wait the year or 2 to finish the RV 7 and then another year or 2 to build the Sonex, and I can't afford a ready-built. I did fly gliders a bit and in fact soloed, but it's a 2 hour drive to the nearest glider club.  There is a commercial glider operation about a 1 hour drive away, but they are VERY expensive, especially in the learning stage where you are concentrating on a particular task and often get less than an hour flight per tow (maybe only a few minutes if you are practicing recovery from tow line breaks).

Thanks again for the advice and concern. It's great to know such a caring, helpful, bunch of guys.

Jim Hasper

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
dhall(at)donka.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: RV 7 wing kit for sale - Medical Reply with quote

Holy Moly, I hope I'm demanding aerobatic rated pacemakers and stents at 70!

You are superman!.

Good luck with the Sonex. If you need a left seater, come on over to ATL, and we'll drink some pre-aerobatic flight prune, er superman juice!

Don Hall  
N517DG (registered)
rv7 fuselage
http://rv7.donka.net

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J2j3h4(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 2:33 AM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV 7 wing kit for sale - Medical

Sincere thanks to all who wrote to give me advice about my medical. I really do appreciate your concern, but will explain further why I've decided to give up the RV 7.

I was already flying under a special issuance medical due to having a pace maker and stents in 2 arteries. Under the SIM I was required to periodically submit full medical data (stress test, EKG, pacemaker test and log, etc) even before the medical was due for reexamination. I sent in the last submittal a couple of months before the medical was due to expire, but didn't hear anything back until after it had expired. I then received a letter from the FFA stating that they had reviewed my records and found that I was not eligible for any class license. They further stated "if you reapply, we will have no choice to deny you".

From this, and AOPA agrees, I infer that they have not actually denied my medical, and I am therefore still eligible for Sport Pilot. I considered contesting their ruling, since my cardiologist says there has been no change in my condition since my previous submittal, but I decided that I would then be playing Russian roulette. That is, they could deny me at any time, and then my flying options would be even more limited - ultralight, glider, or motor glider.

I agree that building is a great joy, but rather than finishing the RV 7 and then selling it, I've decided to build a Sonex instead. The Sonex is the closest thing to an RV 7 that I could find in the LSA class. (Sorry, but the RV 12 just doesn't cut it - it's not aerobatic and it won't be available for another year). After all, I'm now 70 years old and don't want to wait the year or 2 to finish the RV 7 and then another year or 2 to build the Sonex, and I can't afford a ready-built. I did fly gliders a bit and in fact soloed, but it's a 2 hour drive to the nearest glider club. There is a commercial glider operation about a 1 hour drive away, but they are VERY expensive, especially in the learning stage where you are concentrating on a particular task and often get less than an hour flight per tow (maybe only a few minutes if you are practicing recovery from tow line breaks).

Thanks again for the advice and concern. It's great to know such a caring, helpful, bunch of guys.

Jim Hasper

[quote]

.com/Navigator?RV7-List

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv7(at)b4.ca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: RV 7 wing kit for sale - Medical Reply with quote

On 23:32:57 2006-08-17 J2j3h4(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I agree that building is a great joy, but rather than finishing the
RV 7 and then selling it, I've decided to build a Sonex instead. The
Sonex is the closest thing to an RV 7 that I could find in the LSA
class.

Good luck with the Sonex. I seriously considered it before starting my -7.
In hindsight, given how far i've come on my -7 so far, the Sonex may have
been a better choice. Smile But it *is* a nice plane.

Just my opinion, but I would put the V-tail on it. Aerodynamically it
doesn't do anything extra for the design, but it does look pretty.

-Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: