Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Vandenberg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

To Pete or Other knowledgeable listers...

I am a serious potential builder. I will be learning to fly within the next 12 months, after years of waiting for circumstances to allow me to actively pursure my flying dream. I have always wanted to wait to get flying until I could own my own aircraft. I have very little interest in any certified aircraft. However I am pressed for time and shop space (a physician living in a townhouse in downtown Chicago) with regards to building an experimental. So the Lightning options of rapidly building at the factory fit me quite well. I have ZERO interest in the LSA category. I have been looking mostly at the Zodiac XL and the RV-9A. But the Lightning would be 30 kt faster than the XL with the same engine. That's hard to ingnore! I have a set of RV-9A preview plans...but the RV's, as outstanding as they are, are just too ubiquitous at this point to excite me very much at this point. In this light, the following are intended to be constructive questions:

1.) As has been mentioned, comparing the Lightning to the RV-9A as a serious travelling machine DOES involve considerations of cargo capacity. I cannot find a clear/complete photo on the web site of a finished cargo area on the Lightning. Does the floor of the baggage area drop significantly below the level of the tops of the seatbacks?

2.) Is lugguge supposed to sit on top of, or beneath, the shoulder harnesses as they pass backward to their mounting points?

3.) How do you keep luggage from decapitating you in the case of a rapid-decceleration such as might occur with an off-field emergent landing? Is there provision for mounting a strong, easy-to-remove, aesthetically-pleasing barrier/strap/netting that could be installed (side-to-side or top to bottom) between the pilot's head and the luggage compartment?

4.) I assume the BRS effectively eliminates at least half of the luggage space?

5.) If Van's tricycle-geared two-seaters (RV-6A, RV-7A, RV-8A, RV-9A) have any weakness, it is probaby the fragility of the nose-gear setup. Granted the 3300 Jab would weight alot less than an O-320, but the Lightning's nose-gear looks very similar to the RV's nose-gear. Is it the same?

6.) The Lightning has a nice, slow landing speed. How well would it operate on grass strips? What size are the wheels?

7.) How is headroom in the Lightning? I am 6'1" with a long torso & long neck. Would the headroom be confining?

8.) Can the Lightning be painted (without fear of melting in the sun) in red, orange, or yellow on the TOP half of the fuselage?

9.) Finally, the craziest question: Would hard points be available on the Lightning to attach floats? One of the things I like about the Zodiac XL is the ability to convert it to amphibious floats. Chip Erwin of CZAW assures me that this could be done with the RV-9A as well. I like the looks of a sleek low-wing aircraft on floats. I have this crazy dream of landing my floatplane on some body of water and spending the day on a remote beach. Lake Michigan has plenty of these places. I could see a Lightning on amphibious floats as a sweet-looking machine. Floats would also add cargo capacity. Putting on a Jab 5100 would probably make a Lightning on floats just pop up on a plane and go....

Thanks for indulging me on these issues...

Dan Vandenberg

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

Hi Dan, Buz here,
I will take a quick stab at your questions.
1.) Does the floor of the baggage area drop significantly below the level of the tops of the seatbacks? Yes, indeed. I need to measure it for you, but I would guess it could be built about 18 inches below the seat backs. The prototype does not have a baggage floor. Earl has not installed his yet. I did not get to see Greg's completed baggage area. Tomorrow I will measure mine. It is basically the same as the Lightning.

2.) Is lugguge supposed to sit on top of, or beneath, the shoulder harnesses as they pass backward to their mounting points? Baggage should be below the harnesses, and it will be as the harnesses are higher when you have them on. Your shoulders are higher than the seat backs.

3.) How do you keep luggage from decapitating you in the case of a rapid-decceleration such as might occur with an off-field emergent landing? Is there provision for mounting a strong, easy-to-remove, aesthetically-pleasing barrier/strap/netting that could be installed (side-to-side or top to bottom) between the pilot's head and the luggage compartment?
Pack the heaviest things on the bottom. A "cargo net" kind of arrangement should be easy. Remember you are the builder and this is your airplane. Make it like you want it, but that does sound like a great idea.

4.) I assume the BRS effectively eliminates at least half of the luggage space?
Well, probably not half of it, but quite a bit. I really don't know how much the BRS weighs.

5.) If Van's tricycle-geared two-seaters (RV-6A, RV-7A, RV-8A, RV-9A) have any weakness, it is probaby the fragility of the nose-gear setup. Granted the 3300 Jab would weight alot less than an O-320, but the Lightning's nose-gear looks very similar to the RV's nose-gear. Is it the same? The nose gear is similar, but not the same. And remember the Lightning weight is much less. You mentioned the Zodiac XL. The EAA chapter in Williamsburg, VA is building two of them. Now the nose gear on that looks like a potential week spot to me.

6.) The Lightning has a nice, slow landing speed. How well would it operate on grass strips? What size are the wheels? The mains have 500x5 tires. Same as on my Pitts. No problem with grass operations.

7.) How is headroom in the Lightning? I am 6'1" with a long torso & long neck. Would the headroom be confining? I am 6'2", but have a normal neck. Is your tactical call sigh Giraffe?
I think you will fit just fine.

8.) Can the Lightning be painted (without fear of melting in the sun) in red, orange, or yellow on the TOP half of the fuselage? Most "glass" airplanes I have seen are lighter colors - mostly white on top because of the concern for heat build up. I suppose if you keep it hangared except when it was flying you could use a color on top. Boats and Corvettes seem to get by with that. Bottom line - I don't know.

9.) Finally, the craziest question: Would hard points be available on the Lightning to attach floats? Wow, Dan, you are really thinking and dreaming - but than that is what experimental aircraft are about, so go for it - you are the builder. The Lightning factory guys are probably too busy to get involved with that effort. Talk to some of the float makers and ask them that question or have them evaluate your Lightning kit. Perhaps another suggestion is to buy a second airplane that is already a float plane or amphibious.

Blue Skies,
Buz

PS: Is there an Air Force base named after you?
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

Dan,
As a follow up on your Lightning baggage space area, it looks like you could install the floor about 15 inches below the seat back. The baggage area average width is about 40 inches, and the length is about 24 inches. Rough estimate is a baggage space of 8.35 cubic feet without loading things about the back of the seats. There would be no problem with light and soft things being above the back of the seat backs. Hope this helps.

Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

Daniel Vandenberg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

Buz...

Your response to my series of questions is greatly appreciated. The Lightning is most impressive. With the uncertainty of fuel prices in the coming years I am particularly enamored by the thought of possibly achieving 30 mpg in an aircraft that is actually a serious travelling machine (in addition to being fun). I will be watching the Lightning closely in the coming several months.

By the way, there was an F-4 at Gary, IN (GYY) this past weekend...I think for the Chicago Air & Water Show. I had thought these were all in mothballs.

Dan

N1BZRich(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
Dan,
[/b]
[/quote]

[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/23/2006 2:02:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, djvdb63(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
there was an F-4 at Gary, IN (GYY) this past weekend

Dan,
Brain called it right. We still have QF-4's (target drones for air to air missile testing) flying out of Tyndall AFB in Florida and they have at least one that they keep show ready and take to various airshows, so that is probably what you saw. They had one at Oshkosh again this year. Kind of sad to have them used that way - even though the missiles are programmed to miss by a certain small distance, occasionally they do get hit.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Lightning Cargo Capacity Questions Reply with quote

Out west there were several signs for military aircraft around NM, and AZ.
One of them was the QF-4's. Another were Mig 23's which I'm not sure what
that was about. Anyhow there are still many of the F-4's mothballed at
Davis Motham in Tucson. I understand that they are converting most if not
all of the servicable airframes to QF-4's. I think we flew them in the
Guard up until like early 90's or so. Israel still flies some too I
believe. Brian W.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: